Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: '73 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Willum
This is a lifelong Southern California car and exhibits exceptional originality. I bought it from its original owner in May 2010. There is no rust other than the cosmetic surface variety common in these cars, no rust in the hell hole, original 2.0 engine has approximately 178,000 miles on it and was rebuilt to factory specifications at about 90,000, no significant oil leaks, runs and shifts well except for a minor 2nd gear syncro grind, tool kit including rare white handled screw driver is complete except for the 190mm tommy bar for the spark plug wrench, all original factory owner's manual and related documents, original window sticker, this car has a "salvaged" title due to a minor accident involving the left front fender approximately 20 years ago. The owner repurchased the car from the insurance company, had it repaired and kept it. At that time the car was repainted the original Bahia Red (L30E) since the factory paint was already over 20 years old, no other evidence of body work exists, tires are in good condition, at some point the original radio was replaced with a Pioneer am/fm/cd player, includes a custom fit California car cover. Shortly after I bought the car, my mechanic who is a certified Porsche technician, told me that working on the car is like working on a time capsule due to its condition and originality.

I have tried to be as straightforward as possible with the cars' condition, if there are any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. I am asking $11,500 cash only.
I've seen this car in person. Very nice.
Willum
Bump.
Willum
Updated price in the OP.
Willum
Attached is a repair order (invoice) for the work performed as a result of the accident which generated the "salvaged" title indicated in my original post.

This vehicle was involved in a single car accident in 1995 wherein the original owner lost control during a first rain of the season resulting in the car contacting the center divider, damaging the left front fender and breaking the left rear tail light. As you can see from the repair order, the $2381.31 repair would have reflected at least half (if not more) of the value of the car at that time. Considering that this car sold new for around $5700.00 and in 1995 would have been 22 years old and looked upon as an older 914 and certainly not a classic, explains why the owners insurance company "totaled" the car. For most people, the word "salvaged" conjures up an image of catastrophic damage and "total loss" but that was not the case with this car.

The original owner having purchased the car back from his insurance company for $800.00, having it repaired and continuing to enjoy the car for another 16 years speaks volumes about the cars' integrity and value. This was a win-win resolution to an unfortunate accident, for the owner and his insurance company.

The asking price reflects the inherent diminished value for this very clean and nearly original 914 2.0. To not give it consideration would be a missed opportunity.

Larmo63
pm sent
Willum
Bump
cvoros
What is the little ?plastic box around the rear shift linkage? Mine doesnt have that - should it be there? Mine drips tranny fluid at that spot...maybe I need one of those. hehe

Very nice car - free bump

boxsterfan
QUOTE(cvoros @ May 5 2014, 10:04 PM) *

What is the little ?plastic box around the rear shift linkage? Mine doesnt have that - should it be there? Mine drips tranny fluid at that spot...maybe I need one of those. hehe

Sideshift Protector Cap

Part: PCG42450101

I believe you can still get these at the dealer. Or post an ad in the classified for WTB.

Tom_T

^^^^
cvros -
Yes you need it, it keeps the crud out of the shift linkage. As noted by boxsterfan above, parts are available new/NOS, used and IIRC - someone has a repro part too (maybe AA). Get one on yours!

Willum -
IIRC the Cal DMV has a was to change that title to something like a restored, reconstituted or rebuilt, etc. title - wherein the work was done to repair the damage as shown on your invoice from the PO & they will change the title. It may be worth looking into with them.

Also it may be worthwhile to get it appraised by a professional dealing with classic Porsches, and that would probably more than justify your price, and well worth the $250-500+ which they usually charge - as well as being back-up for the DMV title change above, as well as for your insurance now & for the future buyer's insurance.

Maybe someone in SoCal on here can suggest some classic Porsche appraisers? confused24.gif

Also Willum -

Bring it out to some local Porsche events to get some exposure there will be PCA GPX Region Concours at the Lakewood Golf Club in 2 weeks May 17 or 18 (look up on PCA online calendar). OCR will have one on June 1 at Lantern Bay Park in Dana Point, and at last year's concours a guy was asking me about them and wanting to buy one - so you never know!?

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Willum
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 6 2014, 12:42 PM) *

^^^^
cvros -
Yes you need it, it keeps the crud out of the shift linkage. As noted by boxsterfan above, parts are available new/NOS, used and IIRC - someone has a repro part too (maybe AA). Get one on yours!

Willum -
IIRC the Cal DMV has a was to change that title to something like a restored, reconstituted or rebuilt, etc. title - wherein the work was done to repair the damage as shown on your invoice from the PO & they will change the title. It may be worth looking into with them.

Also it may be worthwhile to get it appraised by a professional dealing with classic Porsches, and that would probably more than justify your price, and well worth the $250-500+ which they usually charge - as well as being back-up for the DMV title change above, as well as for your insurance now & for the future buyer's insurance.

Maybe someone in SoCal on here can suggest some classic Porsche appraisers? confused24.gif

Also Willum -

Bring it out to some local Porsche events to get some exposure there will be PCA GPX Region Concours at the Lakewood Golf Club in 2 weeks May 17 or 18 (look up on PCA online calendar). OCR will have one on June 1 at Lantern Bay Park in Dana Point, and at last year's concours a guy was asking me about them and wanting to buy one - so you never know!?

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, they're much appreciated. I talked with DMV regarding the "salvaged" title and they told me it could not be changed. Apparently, back in the 1970's title washing was common and easily accomplished by registering a salvaged car in another state that didn't recognize the classification, then re-registering the car in California using the clean out of state title. The insurance companies and states finally caught on and put a stop to the practice nationwide. Unfortunately, a lot of cars like mine that don't deserve the negative connotation that goes with a salvaged title, got stuck with it.

Regarding the appraisal, I recently attempted to contact a supposedly well known appraiser here in SoCal but not surprisingly, never got a response. I have since gotten a referral from my insurance carrier, Hagerty, and will follow up for some details.

-Bill

Tom_T
Bill -

Hagarty will get you a good appraiser, and they're very well reputed in the classic car industry. FYI - they will also insure the value of your spare parts stash in addition to the car itself, if you didn't know that already.

Some states do offer a "reconstructed title" of some sort, and I thought that the Cal DMV &/or other state regulations also had something similar here.

It may be worth your time to do some research online into the state's codes yourself, since many DMV employees do NOT know what they're talking about!

I've variously had DMV employees tell me that there was no such thing as older cars being exempt for smog checks, that you can't have year of manufacture plates put on your classic vehicle, and other stupid stuff - both of the former of which were absolutely wrong and we are able to do both (there are MY limits to both of those of course)!

In fact, I put 1960/`56 sticker/plate on our vintage 1960 (`61 MY) Avion T20 travel trailer last year with absolutely no problem nor inordinate delay! I just wish Hagerty would wise up & start insuring classic trailers as well, for that hobby!

Good Luck & Look me up at Dana Point 6/1 if you come down, as I'll be judging; but I'll be at the Pismo Vintage Trailer Rally/Show the weekend of the GPX one. LA Region also has one 7/20 at Santa Monica Airport which includes a tour of the Aviation Museum there!

San Gabriel Region's concours was at Art Center School of Design weekend before last on 4/26, and it also included a tour of the auto design galleries by the head of that program - who's also a PCA-SGVR member.

Heck - do some nice detailing and enter yours in Wash-&-Shine or Street for both, and get some points or trophies & exposure! first.gif

PCA membership is well worth $46/yr. just for the monthly Panorama & local Regions' magazines, and T-jokes area is under Santa Barbara Region - a great one that does a lot of fun stuff, plus a CdE in October-ish in T-jokes this time I think.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Willum
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 6 2014, 04:40 PM) *

Bill -

Hagarty will get you a good appraiser, and they're very well reputed in the classic car industry. FYI - they will also insure the value of your spare parts stash in addition to the car itself, if you didn't know that already.

Some states do offer a "reconstructed title" of some sort, and I thought that the Cal DMV &/or other state regulations also had something similar here.

It may be worth your time to do some research online into the state's codes yourself, since many DMV employees do NOT know what they're talking about!

I've variously had DMV employees tell me that there was no such thing as older cars being exempt for smog checks, that you can't have year of manufacture plates put on your classic vehicle, and other stupid stuff - both of the former of which were absolutely wrong and we are able to do both (there are MY limits to both of those of course)!

In fact, I put 1960/`56 sticker/plate on our vintage 1960 (`61 MY) Avion T20 travel trailer last year with absolutely no problem nor inordinate delay! I just wish Hagerty would wise up & start insuring classic trailers as well, for that hobby!

Good Luck & Look me up at Dana Point 6/1 if you come down, as I'll be judging; but I'll be at the Pismo Vintage Trailer Rally/Show the weekend of the GPX one. LA Region also has one 7/20 at Santa Monica Airport which includes a tour of the Aviation Museum there!

San Gabriel Region's concours was at Art Center School of Design weekend before last on 4/26, and it also included a tour of the auto design galleries by the head of that program - who's also a PCA-SGVR member.

Heck - do some nice detailing and enter yours in Wash-&-Shine or Street for both, and get some points or trophies & exposure! first.gif

PCA membership is well worth $46/yr. just for the monthly Panorama & local Regions' magazines, and T-jokes area is under Santa Barbara Region - a great one that does a lot of fun stuff, plus a CdE in October-ish in T-jokes this time I think.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom

We're definitely on the same page regarding DMV. I've had many transactions with them over the years and I've witnessed some truly idiotic behavior and been victimized by policy that just defies logic.

Following your suggestion, this morning I looked through ten pages of DMV codes regarding salvaged titles and found nothing about reversing or modifying that classification.

Thanks again for your input and I look forward to meeting you at a future event.

-Bill
Tom_T
Bill -

If I ever find anything on that from my old files, then I'll post it on the Garage for all to use/see. DMV could have also discontinued it since I saw it. I can ask my body shop guy too, since he may have dealt with it at some point.

Unfortunately, I've had 2 computers' hard drives crash, so all my careful bookmarking was for naught! dry.gif

For now, your appraisal to come and the records and condition of the car should speak for itself!

.... regardless of this DMV & Insurance company scam called "salvage title" - since the insurance will total a car under "regular" insurance (i.e.: not agreed nor stated value) for as low as 25% of FMV!! blink.gif

Hope to see you in the OC on June 1 at our Concours!

Come to look around if nothing else, as there always a bunch of interesting P-cars on display & entered hailing from San Diego to Santa Barbara.

Then you can enjoy the rest of the day at the beach area with your wife/SO/GF or kid or ??

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom

We're definitely on the same page regarding DMV. I've had many transactions with them over the years and I've witnessed some truly idiotic behavior and been victimized by policy that just defies logic.

-Bill
[/quote]

Since you live in Cali, you don't have to look far to crazy regs that affect folks for no reason at all. Remember the rolling model year where as no smog us required..Arnold signed that bill and took the state down - just like the current admin back east.
There's no one to blame except the person in the mirror...sorry to have have side tracked. Good luck with your sale.
Larmo63
I went and drove this car and it is quite a nice specimen. I only wish I had the dough to have two of these cars. Bill's Bahia Red 914 is wonderful. He's a nice guy too.
Willum
Updated price to $11,500.
Willum
QUOTE(Willum @ Jun 4 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Sold, going to Texas.
Alice
Nice car!!
MichaelD
QUOTE(Willum @ Jun 14 2014, 12:17 PM) *

Sold, going to Texas.

Well dadgum...where in Texas?
Willum
QUOTE(MichaelD @ Jun 25 2014, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Willum @ Jun 14 2014, 12:17 PM) *

Sold, going to Texas.

Well dadgum...where in Texas?

Benbrook, Texas. I believe it's near Fort Worth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.