Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripping door weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hi!

Although my father doesnt know it yet, will be stripping the guts of my doors when I go to see my folks around new years. Basically want to remove the window and mechanisms, cut the inner metal out, remove the inner door latch, but retain the latch mechanism from the outside. Does anyone have or is there a detailed thread with pictures on the right process for this? Would appreciate the help! URY - here i come IPB Image
DougC
I don't have any instructions for you but I do have a set of doors (from PO) that have been cutted for racing applications that are for sale. The PO of my car would switch them out when going to the track. They are quite lite...Here's a couple of pictures if you're interested.

Doug C
DougC
another ..
DougC
sorry about the bad pictures
Root_Werks
IPB Image Wow, those are gutted! I don't know if I would go that far on my 914, but it sure looks cool. IPB Image
machina
Couple shots of my door.

Cut the inner panel back to make room for the NASCAR door bars.

The forward vertical window guide was cut and retained so we could keep the forward vent window. The door latch and outside handle still work.

The door is incredibly light as a shell. I doubt a fg door would be more than a couple pounds lighter.
sixnotfour
The later Doors have side impact bars 74 later . and dont come out easily.
The early doors like the ones in pics are the ones to use.
FYI IPB Image
Thanks for the pics so far! Doug, this is an all out race car, so not looking to swap in and out at the moment, but thanks!

Mine is a 73, so i should not have the extra re-inforcement? Dont have the car here to inspect so trying to get everything in place before i head down. How hard is it to remove the window mechanism and all that? What is the right order to follow for removing?

Really appreciate the help!!
machina
QUOTE (1973914 @ Dec 23 2004, 12:04 PM)
How hard is it to remove the window mechanism and all that? What is the right order to follow for removing?

since your probably not putting it back together, just start un-bolting, you'll be done in 10 minutes.
IPB Image IPB Image
brant
QUOTE (1973914 @ Dec 23 2004, 10:04 AM)
Thanks for the pics so far! Doug, this is an all out race car, so not looking to swap in and out at the moment, but thanks!

Mine is a 73, so i should not have the extra re-inforcement? Dont have the car here to inspect so trying to get everything in place before i head down. How hard is it to remove the window mechanism and all that? What is the right order to follow for removing?

Really appreciate the help!!

I think you will have the extra reinforcement in 1973.

I think 1970-1972 are the guaranteed years that don't have the reinforcement...

I don't have pictures (yet)
but we got our doors down to 17lbs each through gutting

brant
machina
QUOTE (brant @ Dec 23 2004, 12:14 PM)
I think you will have the extra reinforcement in 1973.

Nope, mines a model year 1973...
my construction date was december of 72, so maybe i made the cutoff? Wll find out soon enough! btw - will take progress pics while I am doing it.
914werke
I think you may have the door of choice !!
Late 72/Early 73 had no beams and the new style regulators.
IIRC in late 73 the door beams started showing up.
If those are your doors befor you start chopping them up You might consider selling those and picking up some early doors , perhaps make a few coins. IPB Image
I know there is always somewhere to spend those on a race car IPB Image
Well if thats the case then what should i offer them for? The glass really is nice on them and the windows work really well... Then againk they are already repainted with the new color, and i know they work, and they were orginal to the car, etc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.