Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Christmas Intro (914club style)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
cooltimes
A few years ago I started an annual Christmas Intro on another 914 site.
Seems like it would fit nicely in here too.
Just introduce yourself. Tell the rest of us a little about you and your family, your 914.

Mike Cooley aka Cooltimes, MikeCool
I am a 914 addict or just plain old 914 nut from Memphis TN
Married to "Red" since 1961
We have 1 son, Mike Jr also a 914 person for life
2 Grandsons, Paul and Tony
Pet is Katie cat

I have owned lots of 914's, around 30, since 1970.
My latest, a 1975 914 1.8 fuel injected, was a gift from another 914 group on Rennlist.

Merry Christmas, Happy holidays or whatever.

MikeCool
djm914-6
Hi, my name is David McLaughlin and I'm addicted to 914s.

Married to Amy since 1994. Have two Boys, Sean (7) and Ryan (3). Sean is the artist and Ryan is the car nut (Porsche owner since age 2).

my first and only 914 is a 1970 914-6 conversion using all factory parts... except that darned VIN #. I hope to start working on it again this winter.

My other hobbies include RC cars, boats and helis. My expendable income comes from my other hobby which is painting. I paint on just about any surface I can get my hands on.

Peace to you all and a Marry Christmas,
Root_Werks
(Walk up to front of room)

My name is Dan and I work on 914's.

IPB Image

Bought my first one when I was 17 (31 now), had my first 914-6 when I was 18. I have owned probably 20 914's and 10 other Porsches of variuos types. I was married for 8 years and single for 4 after that, re-married just this year back in March to Michelle. I have a son(Ryan, 11) from my previous marriage. I work on computers for a living in a large sea of cubicles and have a part time Porsche repair shop I run out of my house for the last 3 years (love that job!).

I am an avid runner, love boats, swimming and just being outside. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
Hi, My name is Aaron and I love my 914

Currently a college student at CSU pomona studying engineering.
914 was my first love, and first car, going on 3 years and countless paychecks......

Thank You IPB Image
Ferg
Hello

Michael Ferguson (29)

My wife is christine and we have been married for 4 years, have a 5 week old boy (Hudson) and i'm on my second 914, a 74 six conversion that has no motor right now, the old 2.7 is out (will have pics soon) and a 3.0 or 3.2 will take it's place.
Other than cars, (I have a GTI garage queen as well) I'm a huge Mtn Biker, and long distance trail runner.
Oh yeah, two dogs, A GWP Mix (German Wire Haired Pointer) and a Airdale.

Merry Xmas to all.
Ferg.
Mueller
Mike Mueller (38), AKA Mueller
Married to a very understanding loverly woman by the name of Sherryl (30) for 6 years

After almost 9 years of 914 ownership, I finally have one that has been running successfully for more than 1 month IPB Image

no kids, but we are working on it IPB Image IPB Image
Jenny
Hi, IPB Image I'm Jenny Shyu. Pronounced like those things you're probably wearing on your feet.

I'm 26, and am on my second 914. It's down for winter with an alternator problem that I haven't had the courage to tackle yet. I got started on these cars because my brother got one, and I loved tagging along on the fun runs. I soon became the resident 914 groupie, and after about a year, Brad helped get me in a 914. Since then, a large part of the bay area 914 community has put in time, effort, and parts to help keep my car on the road.

I met my BF thru Scott @ Renegade Hybrids. So... without 914s in my life, I would never have met Brian. We've been dating for over three years. We have a 2 year old beagle named Snoopy, and I take delivery of his daughter later on today. She doesn't have a name yet. IPB Image They are my life. And, of course, there's my crazy chinese family that is growing exponentially. IPB Image

Thanks for the comradery on this site, and for all the wonderful friends I can count on. You guys are the best! IPB Image

Jenny
jwalters
Hello, my name is Jonathan, and I am a convicted porschephile

During my growing up years I was touched in all the wrong places by my fathers squareback vw.

Numerous psycotherapists have failed to cure me from my "got have a German car" syndrome--

My first hands on experience was the 1973 VW superbeetle--which I promptly amassed 145,000 miles in two years of ownership by exploring every road down to and including all cow pathes in the surrounding 4 counties of rural mississippi. I would pass stuck 4x4's with impunity. one gallon of gas would transport me about 55 miles, I made 45 dollars a week as a dishwasher at 14 yrs.

On Dec. 1987 a 1979 Pontiac grand prix ran a stop sign and forever changed my life. Were it not for the tire laying flat in the trunk and pumped up--I would surley not be here. That was the precurser to the "airbag"

It was not until many years later I happened across a 1986 porsche 944 on a used car lot for sale at the tidy sum of 2000.00. The salesman told me it had a blown head gasket, due to my continuing psychologic wanings of my mind I knew better and promptly relieved said salesman of his unbeknownst prize.

A 25 dollar oil cooler gasket update kit had me on the road in one day---drove the hell out of it and amassed 45,000 miles in only 1.1 yrs. Was stopped by an Alabama HP for doing 129 in a 65 on the interstate ( there was NO other cars for miles) Talked my way out of that one in front of the judge--( my psychosis power is strong Jedi)

During a trip from al to miss. an errant rodent darted from the darkness in front of me as I was exceeding the speed limit by a factor of 1. Total demolishment of my entire front end ensued--I was in the middle of "You got a pretty mouth on you',land" and drove it till it broke in my home town. Minimal repairs later I traded it on a dodge 1500 P.O.S...but I was lurking and biding my time as taught to me by my dear friend Hannibal Lector---------

Now a mere 1/2 yr. later in another state--I procure three marvels of technological prowess, a:'72, '74, and '74 914's--one for parts, one a driver, and one not driving but has all the right good sheetmetal for a total sum of 2100.00 USD.

Now I am on a mission to bring my mid engine supercar that so many other manufacturers have copied to stardom----

And as I write this I am rocking to Pink Floyd the "WALL"----and devising another PERFORMANCE upgrade yet to follow----------

MUUHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IPB Image

Do you watch the tv show COPS??? ............................... IPB Image
balljoint
Merry Holidays and Happy Nude Years to everyone.

Me nomme est Bob Esponja et soy canadense.

Name: Dave

Dislikes: Wire coat hangers, scooping out the cat box.

You guys are a blast and I spend way too much time on this site, but I am learning a lot. I have been married for three year, no kids yet just a couple of cats and I live in a small townhouse in a small town just outside of Toronto.

I have owned my 1.7, 1971 914 for a number of years and one day I would like to put plates on it and drive it to work in the summer.
trojanhorsepower
Hi IPB Image

My name is Peter Lamb (32). My wife’s name is Amy (yah right) and we have been married since 4/98. We have a 15 month old little girl named Gretta (see avatar). I have two gun dogs a GWP named Basel and his bastard daughter (half lab) named Jodie. Not to mention the many fish (mostly South Americans).

My 914 is a 74 2.0 that will be another 30 years old before it is ready. I have loved 914 since I was 16, but could not get one till about a year ago when I got a pretty good deal on a parts car that I am trying to make into a daily driver.

-Pete

PS: Happy Hollidays
VegasRacer
(surveys the audience and clears throat)
Hi. My name is John and I am a 914 junkie. IPB Image
I have owned a hand full of 914's over the past 12 years. I recently sold my 914 race car. I replaced it with a 3.0 /6 that has a full cage and all the goodies so I can still play with it on the track. Plus I get to drive it on the street.

I am single. I collect license plates and fly stunt kites.
I keep the food bowls full for 2 dogs and 1 cat.
skline
Shyly walks to the front with head down,

Hello, my name is Scott (Skline)
I am a Porsche addict
They say talking about it helps but as we all know, it doesnt help the problem, it feeds it.
I started in 914's back in 1982 when I got my first one, 1973 red 914 with a 1.7 liter for $2100.00
Been addicted ever since. I currently own a 1974 that started out as a stock 1.8 liter stripped down model. Back in the 80's I saw one converted to a Chalon body style and really liked it and wanted one from then on. Here 20 years later my dream is about to come true. If I can ever get past the little problems of converting and changing everything. Such is life. The addiction is so bad that I am currently high bidder on another one down south and if I dont win that one, I ran across one last night with 1 bad cylinder and no rust for $800.00 also down south. If there is a cure for this, please let me know but so far, all the looking I have done lead to extreme withdrawls that I cannot bear. December 25th is the day I have picked to give up my other addiction of 34 years. They say it is the most heathly decision I could make. Wish me luck with it, smoking is one of the most addictive habits and I have to put it down for good. Merry Christmas to all and a very happy and prosperous New Year to each and every one of you.
Carl
(taking the mike and slowly rising to his feet ... )

My name is Carl. I've been hooked on Porsches for a long time but my interest in 914's came accidentally five or six years ago. It's quite contagious because Meredith, whom some of you know on this site, caught the affliction from me.

I do come by the interest honestly, however. My father has a 993, brother has a '72 911S, brother-in-law has an '82 911 SC, sister has a '00 Boxster and I've got an '89 911 as a stablemate to the '70 914-6. It's all in fun.

I have a wife (Kathy) and two other children (Karyn and Noel) who have little or no interest in P cars. The 914, to them, is either a curiosity or a handicap, whichever is worse.

Meredith gets it. The car, this site and you folks are interests that we share and I'm grateful for all of it.

This has been a fun way to learn about the cars, to get to know you, to enjoy events like the WCC and to have fun with my kid. Who could ask for more?

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

IPB Image
Gustl
Hi, my name is Wolfgang Scheicher, nikname Gustl

I'm 34 years old and live in the heart of the european alps IPB Image
Since I was a young boy I loved everything concerning cars. The 914 is my favourite for more than 10 years. My first and only 914 (so far) I've bought in 1999, a 3rd owner car from SoCal in nearly perfect original condition (2nd owner had it for more than 20 years).
Now I'm looking if I could find (and afford) an original '70 914-6 in similar condition IPB Image

I'm an engeneer for telecommunications and electronics, but I didn't ever work as one IPB Image For more than 10 years I'm a computer/network technician at a small company in Innsbruck (Olympic Winter Games 1964 and 1976).

Due to the fact that my last two GFs thought that I spent too much time with my teener, they didn't like it IPB Image so I'm single for at least 2 years ... and this is why I've so much time to sit in front of my computer IPB Image

The other time I like doing sports like biking, Tennis, Squash, swimming ... I even started at a little Triathlon this year.

Marry X-mas to everyone
mike_the_man
My name is Mike, I'm 26, and I'm a 914 addict. I live with my girlfriend, Jaylene, and our year old cat Audi. I've owned my 914 for almost 2 years. What looked like a nice runner has turned into a little more work than anticipated (I bet nobody has heard that one before!), and I hope to make it my daily driver next summer.

I enjoy German automobiles, I have an Audi S4, and 2 VW Rabbits. I also like to golf, ski, rollerblade, and jog. My passion is windsurfing, although I don't get out as much as I used to. Having a real full time job really cuts into the fun stuff in life.

Also, I bought a house last summer, that I'm currently fixing up. My new hobby is home theatre, which seems to cost as much as Porsches. Why do I choose expensive hobbies. I guess I'm destined to be broke, but at least I'll have lots of cool stuff.

Merry Christmas to everybody! If it wasn't for all you guys, I would have burned my 914 long ago. Would that have been a good thing or a bad thing? IPB Image
watsonrx13
Hi, my name is Rob Watson and I'm married to a very understanding and fellow car enthusiast, Robin. Yes, this is the Rob-n-Rob show. We also own 2 dachshunds, or do they own us?

Hobbies: 914

I was introduced to this site by Paul (URY914) who I met on the PP board. I owned 2 914's before I found this site. The first one I had was with my first wife. It had tranny/clutch issues, so I took it to the local Aamco. They fixed the tranny, but they were never able to get the car running again. I didn't have enough experince with the car, so I sold it for the money I spent on the tranny rebuild. The guy that bought it towed it back to his shop and got the car running again. He came by to let me know that the ground strap, attached to the tranny, was disconnected.

My next car I purchased was just after Robin and I got together. I had moved from Louisiana to Florida on a motorcycle and had used several as my only means of transportation for 5 years. I decided to buy a 914. The original intent of that car was to eventually drop a v8 into it, I just needed to do some rust repair. Again, not having the knowledge or source of to do the car myself, I found AA and drove the car north. When we put the car on the rack, the mechanic immediately put it back on the ground. He said, 'It's amazing that thing didn't break in half.'. Robin and I drove the car from Tampa to Atlanta, cruising about 80 mph. Anyway, AA fixed the rust around the battery, long and firewall, $6000. I continued to work on the car, replacing the rubber seals, carpeting, then I began stripping the paint. On a beautiful Friday afternoon, I was driving across the Tampa bay, when the traffic in front of me began stopping. The car in front of me stopped, I stopped, but the guy behind didn't. He pushed me into the car in front. The car was totalled. I decided to again drop out of the 914 scene.

Several years ago I decided I needed a hobby and wanted another 914. I discussed this with Robin and we talked to her parents. I wanted a place where I could work on a car without worrying about having it driveable my Monday morning. Her parents let me build a shop on their land and I purchased a Miata for daily transportation. I have since picked up 2 more 914s.

Thanks for the support from all of the other 'crazies'....hello from the abyss...
J P Stein
Heh.....BTDT, but once more.

John Paul Stein III, born 25 years before the 914, Married to the lovely Jane in the 3rd year of 914 production, son Joe was born in the 4th year of production and daughter Janet missed the "event" by a year....(hay, I just figured out what went wrong with her IPB Image )

I've owned 3 914s (or they owned me), 2 runners & a yard car.
I've had this last one for 8/9 years and am slowly restoring it to pristine factory condition ....or sumthin' IPB Image

I have no life outside of Autocross. IPB Image
airsix
Mr. Cooley, thanks for both starting and sustaining this long-standing tradition. IPB Image I'm glad to see that you are among us and fully 914-equiped.

Ben Messinger (airsix) age 34. Married to my lovely Jamie (31) for 10.5 years. Two beautiful daughters ages 3yrs and 1mo. 914 ownership first started in 1992. Now on my second. I'm forever planning engine conversions that never seem to matterialize. Financial Planner by profession, but I love to tinker. I converted my '73 to digital EFI/ignition and this summer I added a turbo. All fabrication work done in-house (for better or worse). I love the thrill of a sucessful DIY project. Guys like Root, Mueler, Fiid, Perine, Chappy, Gore & others too many to name - those guys are my icons. My other hobby of late is making custom folding pocketknives from scratch and a little gunsmithing. Call me a beginner home machinist. I'm wierd. I know I am several standard deviations from the mean. I'm probably the only financial planner in the world thinking "I wish Santa would bring me a surface grinder and a bigger milling machine. Or maybe a tubing bender." IPB Image

-Ben M.
jr91472
hello my name is John, but I just use JR cause it easy.

I have been married for 15 yrs to a very understanding Margaret. We have four kids. My oldest is Rachel (11) and then a set of 5 yr old triplets - Joseph, Rebekah, and Jacob.

I have owned the same 914 since 1985. The car at that time was fully restored by my older brother. I (being in college and stupid) drove the shit out of it (thoroughly enjoying myself). Now that I am 40 and have other daily drivers, I am attempting a second restoration and in the process "making the car my own".

None of it would be possible without this site. More than a resource, I have already made some great friends and look forward to future 914 community events.

later
JR
Rhodes71/914
Hello all...

Let me start by saying I SPEND WAY TO MUCH TIME HERE but it is so fun and educational.

My name is Sean Rhodes (36) and thanks to my wife, April (29), and this site I am seriously addicted to my 71 914. My wife had one as her first car and talked about wanting one since we met in Nome, Alaska 4 and a half years ago.

We have a 3 y/o son Alec who loves race cars and monster trucks and a daughter that will be 1 on Jan 2. The family dog is a Keeshond named Keesh (I know real original).

I am currently a Loan Officer for a small mortgage company but that will soon change. Hopefully our house will sell soon so we can pack up all of our stuff and move back to Alaska where we hope to open a coffee shop/bakery, and do some fish brokering on the side.

Part of my addiction to 914s is my love for Volkswagens. Family had a few growing up including a Squareback and Camper bus. My first car was a 4 door Rabbit and since then I have owned a 84 Jetta GLI (awsome car), 85 GTI, 74 Camper bus, and sitting in the garage next to the 914 is a 67 21 window Deluxe. Of course there have been other cars but not VW.

When I get this car driveable it will be my wifes, then the hunt will be on to get another for that six conversion I have been thinking about since riding in another members car.

When we move to Alaska I may be the only member from the largest state in the union (sorry Texas but your not even close)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, This place is great.
Korijo
my post... *under construction*
jim912928
Great thread!

My name is Jim Haney and I've been married to Ingrid (yes German!) for 26 years...and we dated for about 7 years before that...I'm 47 and she's 46 (she sat in front of me in a class in my freshman year in high school). We have 3 kids...2 of which are still at home (high schoolers)...and 1 mini-schnauzer named Rudy (he's 13).

I've been into Porsche's ever since my wife's family talked me out of British cars and into German cars when I was a freshman in college....that is when I bought my first 914! I actually bought my 2nd porsche the day after my first was born...it was a 66 912 in boxes!

I'm in the IT field and when I'm not doing family stuff,working, or porsche stuff you'll probably find me in the basement banging on the drums.
spare time toys
Hi I guess it is up to me now.
Well I was born a poor ... oh wrong movie IPB Image
Im Larry Dildine my whole family and friends call me Bud. My wife from way back in 1989 is Barbara. We have found the true way to stay together for so long. Who ever goes has to take the kids..I aint going! We have three kiddos Cam 14 he is our Special Olympian three gold medals at the last swimming compitition. Matt 12 He is our sports guy he can hit a baseball farther than anyone his age. The school coaches are after him to play football and put him in with the kids two grades up. Lizzy 11 Is our cook and musician she loves to help momma cook and plays a mean claranet.
I have worked at Southwest Airlines for the last 15 Years as a mechanic and inspector. I love messing with mechanical things. We have 2 914s and are killing a 928.
Happy Holidays to all.

NEXT
GaroldShaffer
Hi

My name is Garold Shaffer (39) and I am married to Julie (35) since 1997. We have 3 yr old son, Nathan who loves trains and daddys vroom vroom.

I am currently Engineering Manager for Motorola and have been working there for 18 1/4 yrs, yikes!! IPB Image

I have always been a Porsche Fan but never owned one. After a bad relationship I decided it was time to do something for me and I found what I thought was a nice little 73 2.0 914, that was back in '94. That car turned out to be not so nice and three years later I sold it IPB Image

I bought my current ride in 2003, a 70 with rebuilt 75 2.0 with euro P & C and a rebuilt side shift trans. It has a few other mods and it is a nice little car, needs paint, but it is solid. My hobbies are playing with my son and Solo II with the SCCA. I am now a board member for my region and co-Solo chairman.

My projects are my 914 (duh), painting ALL the rooms in our house and building my son his outdoor train play set, yikes that thing is BIG.........
EdwardBlume
My name is Rob.

I've been into 914s for 28 years (since I was 6). I used to read the Haynes manual for fun. I still have the 914 my Dad bought then, and I just started tearing it down for restoration last week.

I've had or have torn in 4 other 914s. I currently drive a 911 daily.

My wife's name is Cheryl. We have a daughter Kiersten. My wife likes to autocross with PCA as much as I do. We enjoy watching American Chopper together and she asks me if we can trick out a 911 with chrome and flames. We'll continue to be happily married for a long time.

I'm also a Graduate Business student and a professional banker specializing in startup technology and life science companies.

HERE'S WISHING ALL OF YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bleyseng
Merry Christmas to all!

My name is Geoff, I am 52 yrs old and live with Monique (the resident Surinamer) for 4 years now. I have a daughter, Ariel, who is 25 and a son, Blair, 22, who is/was into Autocrossing with me bigtime. Monique has a daughter, Chelsea, 17 and a son, Zach, 13 who live with us part-time.
I have been into VW's since the '60's buying, repairing them for fun. I bought my 76 2.0l in '95 for $1900 as something to do since I had just started to get divorced and needed something to keep me out of trouble (I walked out of the marriage). I have been working, modifiying it ever since! (never ending project IPB Image )

Ever since I discovered the various 914 sites in '95 I have been hooked to the 914 Internet community ever since. The best bunch of nutty guys and gals I have ever met, I then I met this Brad guy and have really enjoyed the fun here. This site has helped to bring alot of the guys together in the NW in to a really fun local group!
Now all we need is a Christmas party at Dave Hunts to see the car run!

Can't wait until Brad unveils the new e site!!! hint, hint!

Cheers! IPB Image

Geoff and Monique
i love porsche
hi, my name is Aaron and im 18, i am desperately in love with the automobile, and porsches in specific. ive had my 914 since my 17th birthday, but i havent driven one yet. i was forced to buy a daily driver, so i had barely any money to spend on a porsche, that is why i am restoring one, cause the money can come out over time.

im a freshman at NJIT studying Mechanical Engineering, lots of fun, and i probably think about the day ill drive my 914 more than anything else
Lou W
Hi my name is Lou, I am the resident NASCAR fan (Please don't hold that against me) . My wife is Roxanne, we have been married for 17 years, we have a 14 yearold daughter named Sara, she loves cars too.

I became a 914 owner around 1993, the car was owned by my Cousin, and was given to me in exchange for hanging new siding on his house, not sure who got the better deal. I am having alot of fun collecting parts for it, and looking forward to having it back on the road someday. It was actually in pretty good condition when I got it.

This is the first Porsche that I've ever owned, I was into muscle cars and street racing before owning this car, I would like to try out Autocrossing next.

Merry Christmas IPB Image
Jeroen
Hi, I'm Jeroen (that's "ya-roon" for ya english speaking folks),

Some say I'm addicted to the 914 and that it's way out of control. Well, lemme tell ya, that's an outright lie!

I turned 34 this year and have been together with my wife Christie for 16 years (married for 7)
We've got a 4 year old daughter Zoey

I've been into Porsches from the age of 10, when my dad bought his first.
I got my first Porsche in '97 and got into 914s through rennlist (porschelist back then)
I thought a 914 would be a cool way to get some on-hand-real-life car experience (I'm an office nerd) so as soon as we got a house with a garage, I bought one. Boy was I wrong...

This year I passed the 5 year point since I bought my 914. My real work keeps me from working on the car, so I've decided that in 2005, I'll throw some (more) money into the car and let others tackle the bigger jobs for me, cause I'm sick 'n tired of not being able to drive it.

2004 has been another eventfull year. Some, I would have liked to miss, like when my neighbour tried to kill me when driving my 911 (the one I got in '97). I survived, but the car didn't.
Others were great. Most of all attending this years WCC, where I got to hang out and meet a lot of you and made some great friends.

2005, here we come! On to bigger and better things!
Happy holidays to ya all!

cheers,

Jeroen
richardL
I'm Richard (48), another resident Brit, been in the States 21 years now, east coast, an island in Puget sound, now in the SF Bay Area. Married to Marie for 6 years. I have three older children (18,16,14) and a son (6) and stepson (11). On the day Roger was born Marie told me to leave the hospital and go buy a Porsche... which, of course, I did immediately.

I was introduced to the 914 by a friend in Holland and I briefly had a /6 conversion, in pieces. Now I have a 2056 track only car and I'm considering getting a road going one as well. The 911 is great, but its not so much FUN.

Still in the computer business, building specialist applications for midsized companies. Hoping to get back into a video related startup next year.

Merry Christmas to all, and I hope that 2005 is even better than 2004 for everyone.

Cheers
balthazar
Hello,

My name is Corby AKA Balthazar, and I am a 914 addict. I have been interested in 914's since grade school. Growing up in Denver, we would play a game on the school bus where we would say "I call that____"(fill in blank with a car on the road). Sort of like a variation on "slug bug". Anyway, I used to "call" the 914's I saw on the road. The kids would give me a hard time, saying "that's not a REAL porsche!". I would say "correction, not a REAL VW!! IPB Image ... Likely, they were copying what their father would say.

Later on, I used to walk by a yellow 914 every day on my way to high school. That's when I decided I wanted one. After a hitch in the Army, I ended up in Indiana. There are not that many good 914 bodies in the east. They are pretty much rusted away.

After a long search, I came across my first 914. A 1974 signal orange 1.8. The car was a total loss, but I paid next to nothing for it, so I stripped it and junked the rusted out body. I then ran into my second 914. This was a 1973 delphi metallic green 2.0!!! This was a very nice car, except for the rusted out Dside suspension console. I thought I could fix it, but it was too much for me, so I stripped it and sold it to a fella who put a six in it!

Now I had a BUNCH of parts and no car! I continued my search and happened upon a wonderful 1974 black 2.0 chasis. It was located in Connecticut. I took a trailer out there and me and my Dad brought it back.

Now about two years later, I have put a 1.7 motor, transaxle, interior, glass, fuchs and etc. on the car. I took it to the Gmund west event, and had a blast! I had carbs on it, but I sold those to help fund the mega squirt project. By spring I will have the MS installed and ready to go!!!!!!

Now I am starting to plan the turbo project... IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
dheinz
Hi, I'm Eddie (long time mostly lurker),

I, as almost everyone else here, am addicted to the 914 life. It all started back in 1972 when Uncle Sam drafted me to protect America in Germany. I married Debbie and we began our life together in the land of Porsche and Autobahns. The 914 and 911 were still relatively new then and struck an indelible impression on me.

Fast forward thru many forgettable daily drivers to 1979,when settling in our new house and career, the addiction kicks in. I needed a 914. It didn't matter that it was flourescent green and had alot more rust than I could see. It was a 1974 2.0 with appearance group. I loved that car but after four years of fighting the rust, I sold it and tried to replace it with a brand new 1983 T-Bird Turbo Coupe. A Ford Probe GT Turbo came along in 1988. I bought my 911 SC in 1994 and it has truly been a great car, but....

October 2001, cruising the Ebay ads, a 914/6 with a 3.2 shows up and it's local. The very understanding Debbie says, "Go for it". I was just becoming active with the local PCA drive's ed and autocross events, and this car seemed to fit right in. I still get a "rush" every time I drive the six. The car is steet legal but I trailer it to the track.

I have since bought two complete 914 parts cars and many,many parts. It really has turned into a compulsion.

Hunting and fishing have been my hobbies.
I've gone thru the boating scene. Dirt bikes and quads have done it for me. I just bought a VW woods buggy for the off season.

I spend way too much time on this forum, but it's very entertaining and informative.
Thank you to all who post and all the links that have really opened up our worlds.

Thanks Brad

Merry Christmas to all
Joe Ricard
Hi, Ya'll My name is on the left of the screen. I'm a smart ass IPB Image
But I love Porsches. Had a 78 928 for 13 years real hoot to drive. Loved 914's since I was like 10 years old when I seen one parked in a drive way. (not even on jack stands). I bought the 1st 914 a 74 2.0L for my son because I wanted a 914 IPB Image We drove it for 2 years till the fateful night it caught fire. Thats how I met Rob Watson who drove all night from Tampa to take the uni-body home.. Decided I need my own teener. So I drove one back from Everret Washington. Bright yellow 70 with white dots.
Somehow acquired another project that would be 3 teeners owned.

I do all my own wrenching and ain't scared to take it apart just to see how it works.
The rest of my family keeps me straight wife of 20 yrs, oldest son now 18 and then there is Michael he's 4 and really likes my car. IPB Image
Otmar
My name is Otmar and I'm a 914aholic.
No, Really I'm not and I've got plenty of power over my addiction, uh, I mean, hobby. Yeah, that's it! IPB Image

Bought my first teener 20 years ago in high school. A silver 73 beater for $1500. First and last time I went into debt for a car. Learned that lesson. When my sisters bus died I gave her the engine, after all, any day I was sure I would put that 13B rotary I had lying around in it. That never happened. When I cut off a power pole in my Thing I put that 1600 DP in the 914 and plastered a "volkswagen" window tint on the front. Still that sucker was fun! Even if the GF of the time kept smoking the clutch because she couldn't find first gear. IPB Image

My real addiction is modifying things. Can you tell? Can't really leave much of anything alone. IPB Image
Many of you have seen the Stretch Vanagon

Now many years later I made a much nicer 914 electric. I manufacture parts for electric conversions so I had to have one for testing. Since my business depends on it, I have to keep it running. No jack stands for this one.

I'm basically a single guy living in overpriced Shallow Alto, spending my days working from home, mostly on the computer.
Hey, I just realized I've written a bio before for a TV show back when my hair was short. It's Here

I love the forum here. You all are a fantastic collection of nuts.
I hope you all have Happy Holidaze! IPB Image
Dave-O
Hey All,
My name is David Hildebrandt, I'm 20 years old and am currently working on degrees in Biochemistry and Physiology at the University of Minnesota. My other interests include: hunting, fishing, physical fitness, the Green Bay Packers, and carpentry/home repair. No wife, no girlfriend...only time for one hobby.

I got my 914 when i was 15. It was probably a lost cause but i didn't know any better and i learned a lot in the meantime. I recently was bitten by the autocross bug and have been enjoying it immensely. The path of my 914 wrenching has gone from "looks good/comfortable" to "go fast" .

I have enjoyed all the 914 people i have met and look forward to seeing you all again. Have a happy and safe holiday season.
markb
Guess I'll jump in here with mine.

Mark Britell, 48 (in years if not attitude), living on the Central Coast of CA with my significant other, Marcie, her 13 year old son Steven, and my 47 year old sister, Karen. Oh, and the real rulers of the house, 3 cats & one dog. I'm employed (notice I didn't say I work) by the State of CA, as a public safety dispatcher at Hearst Castle. I also co-own a Karaoke business, Mesa Karaoke. Oh, and I spend 3 to 4 days a week helping out the Cap'n at his shop in Santa Maria. Whew, sounds like I actually do things, huh? Needless to say, I don't have much going in the way of hobbies these days other than the 914's. I used to be a professional songwriter years ago, but haven't written in years. Did a little engineering and producing of local bands, too. I also had a DJ business in the late 70's thru the late 80's, and did a few years as a radio DJ. There are better ways to starve to death, believe me. I currently have 4 914's, Dad's Car, currently sitting awaiting the space to start rebuilding, the Blue Car, my almost daily driver, the Black Car (inventive with the names, I know. It's a gift.), slowly turning into a runner, and this yellow wide flared beastie someone in the bay area named the "Yellow Submarine" before I got it. It's slowly being stripped to provide parts for the others. This way I make it harder to justify a V8 project out of it. It's for sale, BTW. And then there's the requisite parts car, too. Oh, yeah. The Karaoke business also bought the Cap'n's 73 VW Bus. With the 2.4 911 motor & trans. We (the Cap'n, mostly) "re-bodied" it a month or so ago with a non-rusty 73 body. I have a real hard time talking my business partner out of it so I can drive it. This new(er) body has a dropped front end, and he swears it goes quicker off the line now, and even gets better gas mileage. I will admit it does "sh!t & git"!!) Marcie has an 82 911SC (her "Little Car" as in what she says every day, "have I told you how much I love my little car?") that she puts in the occasional concours (1st place in her division in the last one), and also get out to the AX or DE with it from time to time. And she drives it every day. We also have a puddle jumper Nissan I drive the 70+ (one way) miles to the Castle, and the kiddie hauler Chevy mini-van. I need a garage. A BIG garage.
Andyrew
Hey, Im Andrew (dads on here, he'll chime in later..)

And well, Im not just a 914oholic, im a boostoholic and just plain a caroholic.

I started my car life when dad brought home a 944 turbo, soon to be hit by a lady in a land rover, then we got another one, and another one.. Then one became a race car, and one got all the good parts from the first one. I decided I had to have something for a car, I had been saving up for well.. ever for one. And I had 2 choices in my mind, a muscle car, or a race car. I picked the race car, soon to learn that I just had to have both.. Thus My need for more speed, Then after man month + long projects, and many failed attempts to find a new engine for my car (because a dyno'd 55hp just wont cut it with someone who's used to a full blown 330hp race 944 turbo) I decided, Yes, I will do the cheapest v8 conversion.

And after a couple months, and deciding that doing the absolute bare bones conversion is just not going to cut it with me (new engine and other things) I had a fully drivable v8 914 for a little over 1600.

Does that mean It had everything I wanted? heck no... With a dyno'd 160hp to the rear wheels, from a 350sbc with a semi radical cam, I knew that things where going to change... My list of installing my RPM intake, and my headers backed by turbo mufflers are going to be done before newyears.

I have dreams, like a strong trani to hold my twin turbo'ed MPFI 700 hp sbc... roll cage and reinforcements.. flares to match 315's in the back... and 944 turbo calipers to stop it all..

Heck, Im 18...

I've got time!!
Series9
Joe O'Brien (914RS). I'll never forget the first time I saw a 914. I was about 13 and told my mom 'when I grow up, I'll have one of those'. She responded with 'that's the ugliest car Porsche ever made'. Well, that sealed my fate. I was a 914 guy from that moment onward.

914RS is my fourth 914 and my first six. I drove #4 for about three years before I found the 3.6. Then I decided that the car had to deserve the engine. Hence the scope of the project it then became.

I am 35, my wife is 23. We have two dogs and no children. I'm a Lear 35 pilot and cars are the hobby I pursue (although I launch high-power rockets on the side, nerdy, yes, but a lot of fun).

Thanks for having me.

Joe
Seagrave
Hi, my name is Jeff. I have been married to Stephanie for 31 years. Both children are launched, supporting themselves, and paying taxes. I have owned the same 914 for 17 years ('74 2L). Also own another lesser Porsche (87 Carrera), a '66 Triumph Bonneville, and a '76 Seagrave. The two P-cars see about 2K miles annually each. Yeah, so it's not that much but at my age I like my daily driver wagon just fine. Love the site, especially the recent string about the number of members in the club. Even if you subtract the name dupes and the seldom-posters, that still adds up to a bunch of 914 fans and almost as many teeners still on the road. Far out. Good job guys.
Gustl
QUOTE (Seagrave @ Dec 24 2004, 09:41 AM)
Also own ..., and a '76 Seagrave.

sorry for interrupting at this point IPB Image
could you explain to me what's a "'76 Seagrave", please?
have you got a photo to post?
URY914
Paul Woodbury, URY914. People always ask me how I spell my last name, so I find myself saying U-R-Y as much as I say my name.

I've been a sports car guy since I was a kid. I'm 45 now. I remember going to see "Grand Prix" with my family when I was about 6 years old. Than my dad took me to see "LeMans" and in 1972 when I was 13 we went to the 12 Hours of Sebring. I was hooked for life. I use to play with Matchbox cars, than Hot Wheels, than slot cars, than 1/24 kits now the real thing.

My best friend in high school had a '72 914. It was a POS but it was fun. In 1979 I traded my '70 Bug, $1000 in cash and borrowed $1500 for my first and only 914. I drove it all through college and all over the Southeast. After college I parked it and bought a get to work truck and the teener sat. Than I one day in 1990 I saw a 914 on a trailer and I followed it to a PCA autocross. I started converting my car to a autox/DE machine that day. I was autocross State Champ, did countless DE's and I ran in PCA Club racing for a few years also. Now I'm on a mission to get it down to under 1,450 pounds and have about 175 HP on tap.

My wife of 12 years is Amy, originally from Akron Ohio. We have a 9 year old, Emily who I'm taking go-cart racing today. And we have two Pugs, Max and Olive. I'm a senior project manager for a general contractor. I am currently building a hospital OR and ER addition.

What I really want for Christmas is a 914 that I can drive on the street again.

Paul
jfort
I have to tell the group how I got into Porsches. Although I was always a fan of foreign cars, my first car was a 73 Corvette, which I bought in 72 while at the Naval Academy. The discount was just too good to ignore. Anyway, I was on an on ramp in Maryland behind a 914. I decided to blow him away. I couldn’t. Then I saw the “6.” By the way, that car was owned by Bert Calland, also a midshipman from Ohio. He was a Seal Admiral and is now the military attaché at the CIA. So, later, in 1976, I sold the corvette and bought a six. My wife was pissed. The car seat and wife did not fit too well so I migrated into 911’s. But I always yearned for another six. I was Porsche-less for a year or two after a divorce. Couldn’t stand it. I started researching 914s again. Came across Jim Chamber’s six on eBay and bought it. Love it.
Hi_Fi_Guy
Growing up in the rural areas outside of Kansas City Missouri I did not have opportunity to see many sports car growing up. An odd MG-B or Midget was about as exotic as it ever got. Mostly Mustangs, Camaros, etc. (first car was a '66 'Stang and was a blast).

Saw my first Porsche 911 as a child in the Disney film Condorman (rent it).
Received a 928 Hot Wheels car one year from an aunt or uncle for Christmas
Saw my first 914 when a freind of my father retired and they threw a part for him. I was sent to the garage to fetch some beers and there it was... damn!

Bought my first 914 at age 18. 1974 Orange & Tan 1.8 and drove it all over Washingtons state for about two years. Sold it when I moved back to the Midwest to be with family.

Flash forward a few years and I am married to Kristy with a couple dogs and a couple cats. After a string of inexpensive italian & japanese sports cars and American '50s cruisers I had the 10 year itch. Bought my current 914 at age 28 with idea of running it at auto-x and just using it as a fun second car without too much worry about perfection. Just a driver.

I had the opportunity to step up to a new Boxster in '02 which totally changed my plans for the 914. I decided to go for the every nut-n-bolt resto.

I own a graphic deisgn studio and I am an artist and I am fortunate enoigh to get to work for a lot of comic book and toy companies. I'm no millionare but I have been blessed with the right projects at the right time to see the 914 through to fruition over the past three and a half years.

Thanks to this board, a supportive wife, and great vendors like Jake Raby, Pelican, Camp 914, and countless others my 914 experience is better than I ever could have dreamed as a child when I saw my first Porsche.
xsboost90
Dan Jauch - (yauk)

im 25, 26 on jan 2

bought my first porsche about a yr. and a half ago, 89 944. Raced that autox, got pretty good, traded for a 924s and a 914. I finished out this season with the 924 - got best of class for I2 PCA this year- and gave it to my g/f so she can autox next season. The 914 is in pieces getting "restored" for show and go next year.

I work as an environmental services/safety director. Some day hope to open some kind of car related business.....

I have fishys...
Thorshammer
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Kwannza etc...

My name is Erik Madsen I race a 914-6 in E production and hope to qualify for the SCCA Runoffs.

I work for a motorcycle manufacturer as a regional service rep. My lovely wife Trish is a teacher and we live in Southeastern Massachusetts near Cape Cod. We have a son, Dylan and he is three, but acts like he is twelve already. He is very good natured and works well in the garage when I am working on the racecar.

I have a racing background as a suspension engineer servicing World Superbike in Europe. Also as a data aquisition and suspension technician in IMSA in the 80's. I have worked in racing development and tuning my entire life. Some small regressions have been made. I served in Desert Storm in 91-92 during my career as a Flight Engineer in the US NAVY, of which I am very proud to have served my country. My father also served our country in WWII as a Tenth Mountain Division Ski Trooper.

I also work with Chicken Hawk Racing, the tire warmer company to engineer and sell tire warmer products.

My 914 is approching completion, with a few minor modifications to be carried out. Hope to make the MArch 18-19 race at VIR. We'll see. The car features some very interesting components, Hewland transmission, Ohlins suspension, 935 front suspension peices with coil overs and rear supension pick up points moved up 3 inches. I build the engines myself and have been doing them for many years.

I hope all who read this have a happy new year as well,

See you at the races!

Erik Madsen (Thorshammer, the God of thunder)
cooltimes
Sorry for posting twice but I had something else to say.
Thanks to all that have introduced themselves this season. It isn't for me personally, this annual intro. It's for all of you. To me, the annual Christmas intro lets all know something personal about each other with a common interest in a 914.
Even if you have introduced yourself in the past years when at Rennlist or elsewhere, there are many who have just discovered the wealth of friendship of the 914 life here at 914Club. and the many various 914 interests so they have no idea who you might be beyond someone who might type a lot of posts all during the year and sign the post with a code like moniker instead of their name.

Remember. 914 is really about each of you, not any one person nor any particular site or who owns a business you may or may not support. It's about you, your family, your own interests as well as your 914 addictions.

I hope that someone will keep this annual 914 intro perpetual no matter which 914 cyberspace arena is popular at a future time. As all are aware, the popular places can and do change almost over night.

I am a Christian so I can say Merry Christmas without any political correct excuse.
Your beliefs may be different so whatever you believe, may all your 914 roads be the twisties you enjoy.

MikeCooley
Carl
It isn't for me personally, this annual intro.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for starting this thread. It seemed to be the right time to do it again when your post appeared yesterday.

Merry Christmas.
sixnotfour
Jeff Hines ,
six not four ,comes from when I bought my first 914-6 in 1978 I was 18 , my mom thought I should have bought the black LE 914-4 2.0. Since I had turbo corvairs since I was 16 , and always wanting a Porsche, I told her I wanted the Six not the Four. (same price in those days)
22year tool maker, left to machine/build 911 engines , 3 year vintage race effort . maint/fab/support of corvette/ferrari/porsche. meanwhile building my home hobby machine/fab shop. Many years later and many P cars. I still like my 914's Best.
Over the years I have done alot of other things Hobby wise but have always kept my porsches.
I saw this page a few years ago didnt have the time to keep up with it or my own projects.
Since I have made time and enjoy it very much.
Thanks to all the People who keep the 914 alive and well.
Happy Holidays,The Hines Family
Jeff , Suzie & Chris 10 ,Garrett 16
azbill
Bill Shaffer (Azbill) here - I am married to Camille an elementary school principal for over 20 years. We live with two airedales and min. schnauzer, the schnauzer rules everyone. Recently retired as chief appraiser from the State of Arizona Land Department. Now I have a real estate consulting firm serving school districts and municipalities.

This is my third P-car, the first 356 in the early ‘70's (nice car financial problems forced sale), second ‘71 914 1.7 (a rust bucket) in the late 70's. Always loved P-cars from the my teens. Now with retirement I have the chance to have a very nice 914. Thanks to this board for all the information I just finished the painting, replacing all the rubber seals, and etc, etc, etc. The next step is to complete the minor mechanicals. Then just drive it and enjoy.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all an Marry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Bill
14Maschine
Hi everyone! I guess now would be a good time to introduce myself. My name is Randy daRoza. I have been addicted to porsche for only a year now! I was corrupted by friends of mine. IPB Image I live in Pleasanton CA. Im 20 years old. I attend DVC in Concord. I want to transfer to Berkeley to major in mechanical engineering. I work in a machine shop. I am obsessed with devices of our own creation. As we speak I am in the process of owning my own 914. Im looking foreword to seeing some of you at AX events! This site is such a valuable resource. I have been surfing around here for months. Learned lot and lots of info. I even found my car here! This community is priceless!
Thank you all and Merry Christmas! IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.