Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Torque starters: Rebuildable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So it appears that my high torque starter for my v8 has decided to bite the bullet.

I tried starting it on my birthday to get it running again and after quite a bit of cranking It I couldnt get it to start for one reason or another (Likely the carbs..)

At the end of the day it got to the point where the starter would barely crank (I had two batteries on it both on a charger.. Plenty of juice) and finally it would just click.

Now I've ruled out batteries and its been a couple of days and every day I would go out and check to see if it would crank and it wont. So its either the solenoid or the motor itself.

Anyone know if I can get this thing rebuilt or what my options are here? Its your typical ebay high torque starter, about 10 years old.
Mike Bellis
Any motor car be re-wound. Is it worth it? my guess is about $100 to service it. There is a place in Hayward that can do it.
Andyrew
Eh, I guess I could go for this one... 115 description says free shipping but ebay says $15.. I'll email him and tell him I want free shipping smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-MINI-S...0b4&vxp=mtr
Drums66
....I'd weigh option of new vs rebuild!....proceed accordingly
flag.gif bye1.gif .....
McMark
Are you running a solenoid/relay at the starter? I used to recommend against them, but lately I've changed my opinion. A solenoid/relay at the starter will save your ignition switch, which may be the culprit here. Get a 30A relay at your FLAPS - cheap test.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 10 2013, 11:25 AM) *

Are you running a solenoid/relay at the starter? I used to recommend against them, but lately I've changed my opinion. A solenoid/relay at the starter will save your ignition switch, which may be the culprit here. Get a 30A relay at your FLAPS - cheap test.

agree.gif
Running my starter thru a relay was one of the best upgrades I've done.
Marty
Drums66
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Nov 10 2013, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 10 2013, 11:25 AM) *

agree.gif
Running my starter thru a relay was one of the best upgrades I've done.
Marty

...Please explain this with a "high torque starter"????

bye1.gif
Andyrew
Im running an aftermarket key switch. Ignition switch died long ago.

I can hear the starter click to try, I know its the issue.
pcar916
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Nov 10 2013, 02:13 PM) *

...Please explain this with a "high torque starter"????
bye1.gif

It's geared
URY914
I recently found a problem with my mini-starter. The threaded bolt that the hot lead lead bolts too is actually a threaded stud. Mine had backed out a few turns and was not making a good connection. Trightened up and it fired off.
DBCooper
Take it apart, see if the main connections are good, as Ury suggests. If not fix them. Check continuity of the windings, if any of them are bad then recycle it, it's not cost effective to rewind Chinese electronics. From the symptoms I'd say that the constant cranking has gotten the brushes hot and they've fouled the commutator. Try lightly sanding the commutator, see if it needs new brushes, sand them too if there's still a lot of material left, and go from there.

Andyrew
Found this..

If only I can find that small "L" brass piece to replace I think I can get this thing going again.

Anyone have any ideas on finding it?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 17 2013, 09:31 PM) *

Found this..

If only I can find that small "L" brass piece to replace I think I can get this thing going again.

Anyone have any ideas on finding it?

That "L" should be copper and is burnt! There's you problem, right there... tooth.gif

A starter rebuild shop might have something. Otherwise just make one. Looks easy if you can find the right thickness copper bar. You have the skills!

Or, just buy a new starter... biggrin.gif
Andyrew
^Ya I was going to give that a try this weekend. Im sure some place local can fix it up.
wndsrfr
Try this outfit....
http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=...t&catId=223
you'll need the make and numbers off of the starter.....it's prolly a Hitachi or Mitsuba I'm guessing......they have all the parts & you'll be much better off using new parts than trying to make 'em or jimmying with the burnt ones.
No affiliation....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.