Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Basic oil cooloer question for a /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
If you run a cooler in the front trunk, do you still use the one on the engine?
Cap'n Krusty
Yes.

The Cap'n
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 10 2013, 05:16 PM) *

If you run a cooler in the front trunk, do you still use the one on the engine?

Yes....and no biggrin.gif

I believe the 3.6 doesn't have an oil cooler, so you have to run one up front
IIRC a stock 6 doesn't have a front cooler, some run their /6 conversion this way.
Many/most people run both.
PanelBilly
I'm thinking about my 3.0. I don't want to add the cooler in the trunk unless it runs too hot, but I didn't want to spend the time and money to set up the stock one if it would be wasted if I added the one up front.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 10 2013, 03:09 PM) *

I'm thinking about my 3.0. I don't want to add the cooler in the trunk unless it runs too hot, but I didn't want to spend the time and money to set up the stock one if it would be wasted if I added the one up front.

I have a 3.0L and I don't run an external oil cooler! The stock one does just fine here in Northern Cal!

If you are running carbs, have higher compression or you live in Las Vegas you might find you need one up front!
Van914
If you drive on the track you will need a front cooler.
Van
mepstein
I will be using a block off plate over the stock oil cooler location and just running a front cooler. I have a 3.2 but this was the setup for the 3.6 motors. Air cooled racing makes the plate.
pcar916
The advantage of a front mounted auxiliary cooler (rather than primary) is that it doesn't have to take up as much real estate. My 3.6 cooler is massive and takes up a lot of trunk space. So much so that venting out of the hood was a much more elegant thing to do with it... not to mention that it actually works now rather than when it was exiting out the trunk floor. I needed fans on all the time then because I live in the south.

Now, if I had two smaller coolers, I might have saved some trunk space by puttin' them somewhere else. That said, I don't think the space under the headlights wouldn't have been big enough for a dual-cooler 3.6 system.

Mepstein: I have a question. Why block off the cooler behind #6?

I have a second cooler (via a sandwich adapter) off of that console. It cools high-pressure, liquid oil rather than the foamy stuff the front cooler deals with, so it's a lot more efficient. If you leave the Behr in play, your front cooler will be smaller and lighter. Unless there be something I don't see! beerchug.gif

Note: The one advantage of a primary cooler up front is that I block off a little bit of that air and redirect heat to the cabin in the winter.
r_towle
Curious,

I have a 3.2 Carreras 911.
Is there an onboard cooler, or just the one under the passenger fender?

I have not raced, but I never see the oil temps get very high.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 10 2013, 10:41 PM) *

Curious,

I have a 3.2 Carreras 911.
Is there an onboard cooler, or just the one under the passenger fender?

I have not raced, but I never see the oil temps get very high.

It will have both coolers.

If getting stuck in traffic is possible I'd keep both coolers or you need a fan system for the front cooler location.
Trekkor
I can't think of a reason to eliminate the stock on-engine cooler.

KT
mepstein
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Nov 11 2013, 12:32 AM) *

I can't think of a reason to eliminate the stock on-engine cooler.

KT

One advantage would be redirecting the air used to cool the oil cooler to cool the cylinders. Maybe not a huge difference but everything helps. Steve at aircooledracing likes this set up. This was the evolution that Porsche used, so it seems to be a reasonable option.
pcar916
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2013, 07:10 AM) *

... This was the evolution that Porsche used, so it seems to be a reasonable option.

I see, and yes they did. But they immediately changed to curved blades on the main fan, which gave back some horsepower, but decreased the air flow at the same time. I toy with the idea of replacing the curved blade fan with an earlier one in my 3.6, just to see if it'll cool better. But I'm reluctant to fix something that's not broken...unless it makes the auxiliary cooler/sandwich go away. That one really helps in slow traffic and on the track.

I wonder if that made the total heat exchange stay the same (by design) or if it was still better than sharing air with the oil cooler?

I haven't ever checked what the BTU capacity of the Behr coolers is. Anybody know it? That's the minimum capacity we have to move to the front cooler...

this isn't OT yet is it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.