Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new 914 bodies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwc914
Soon you will be able to order a new car body shipped flat in boxes. open it up in your garage. blow it up with air. spray a chem on it wait 1 hour new car body. nanocoated never get dirty made on 3d printer. 2 years away from now you can have it. technology is going to get fun real soon beer3.gif
r_towle
smoke.gif
Chris H.
Sounds cool, but as a child of the '70's and '80's I must ask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swkXeLZwO0
Harpo
popcorn[1].gif Interesting but I'm not going to hold my breath
Dr Evil
Yay, DRUGS! smoke.gif poke.gif wink.gif
scotty b
I'm going to build a 3D printer large enough to make new bodies. Anyone willing to front me some $$ to get things going ? smoke.gif
Dr Evil
I have a water bottle full of coin and some bellybutton lint. How much do you need?
boxsterfan
QUOTE(jwc914 @ Nov 10 2013, 02:26 PM) *

Soon you will be able to order a new car body shipped flat in boxes. open it up in your garage. blow it up with air. spray a chem on it wait 1 hour new car body. nanocoated never get dirty made on 3d printer. 2 years away from now you can have it. technology is going to get fun real soon beer3.gif

Yeah!!! beer3.gif

I've always wondered if it would be possible to get the rights to produce the 914 chassis brand new? I'm sure there is some law standing in my way. Or money.

cool_shades.gif
Rob-O
Ummm...yeah. 2 years...right.
ConeDodger
Woah! I thought he said... av-943.gif
a914622
Hey that's s#|t is only legal here and Colorado... aktion035.gif

But really, what would I do with the jack stands?

Jcl
KELTY360
QUOTE(a914622 @ Nov 10 2013, 10:38 PM) *

But really, what would I do with the jack stands?

Jcl

Use the 3D printer to have them integrated into the body...F1 style!
ThePaintedMan
Wait, you mean to tell me that I taught myself how to drill spot welds, fabricate compound bends in multiple gauges of steel, welded new panels in, coated the car AND myself in POR-15, primed, sanded and painted my car and in a couple years you're going to print one out of thin air?

WHERE WERE YOU TWO YEARS AGO? smile.gif

I'll stick to my way - it's way more fun and satisfying than printing. beerchug.gif
bulitt
You all know they are making body organs on printers now.
Mike Bellis
I know of a company in LA that will make you a 100% carbon fiber unibody 914 right now. Only problem is, none of us can afford to build the prototype.
http://www.metalcrafters.com/

I got to see a 100% carbon fiber PT Cruiser they built for Chrysler. These are the same guys that made the original prototypes of: Viper, PT, Prowler, K Car and more. They told me that they can turn out a prototype car in 6 months, where it takes the car manufacturers years to do. While I was there, they were building 10 Bentley sport coupes prior to Bentley's auto show appearance.

Their division "Camera Ready Cars" used my 69 Super Bee in a TV commercial in 2004 for the Rumble Bee truck...

Click to view attachment
maf914
Everything I have read leads me to believe that Porsche would be very supportive of aftermarket vendors in the quest to reproduce 914 body shells. av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
bandjoey
Discovery channel last night. First complete car from a 3d printer. Small compact 2passenger car. Displayed at some expo. Developer was looking for $2million to get up and running.

http://m.sfgate.com/technology/article/3-D...ody-4898454.php

The future is here
boxsterfan
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 14 2013, 05:47 AM) *

Everything I have read leads me to believe that Porsche would be very supportive of aftermarket vendors in the quest to reproduce 914 body shells. av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif

LOL!! So funny....but yet, somehow so sad. I'll never understand Porsche in that regards. chair.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.