Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor pan rust are certain panels better than others?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stefs914
Start tearing in my interior and found 4 patches that will need to be replaced. I'm trying to decide if i do the whole floor pan or not? The tunnel is good but, the chair rail center supports?(not sure what the technical name is for them) and one good size hole behind the drivers side seat. I'm a big supporter of doing things right the first time, so if that means doing the whole thing then thats what i'll do.

I'm sure theres people with tons of experience with rust and these cars so any info helps.

My car is a 73 1.7
TheCabinetmaker
Two words. Restoration design.
scotty b
Once you start cutting the " patches " out to where you have good solid metal, you will find that you might as well buy a rear pan half.

P345

http://www.restoration-design.com/mm5/merc...tegory_Code=914
stefs914
I figured so I probably will end up buying a whole pan just to know i have solid metal underneath. I check at restoration design i just wanted your guys opinion first before i drop the dough.
do you really need a rotisserie for this job or does it just make it more accessible?
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 10 2013, 06:27 PM) *

Once you start cutting the " patches " out to where you have good solid metal, you will find that you might as well buy a rear pan half.

P345

hot_shoe914
Wish I had known you were in Lincoln back in September, I was up there in my 914.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(stefs914 @ Nov 10 2013, 04:52 PM) *

I figured so I probably will end up buying a whole pan just to know i have solid metal underneath. I check at restoration design i just wanted your guys opinion first before i drop the dough.
do you really need a rotisserie for this job or does it just make it more accessible?

P345

no, you don't need one. I probably did 5 of these on the floor, lying on my back, before finally building a rotisserie.

scrape all of the tar board off, go over any rusty spots with a knotted wire wheel and see how big the spots get. Post pics
mr914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Where is the rust?

If it's small areas you can fab up parts or get custom cuts.

Otherwise agree.gif restoration design

stefs914
hold onto your hats i was getting to the pics. Still chipping away at the floor deadener? and haven't really cleaned up the dust so this is what you get for now sorry.
QUOTE(mr914 @ Nov 12 2013, 11:54 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Where is the rust?

If it's small areas you can fab up parts or get custom cuts.

Otherwise agree.gif restoration design

stefs914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 10 2013, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(stefs914 @ Nov 10 2013, 04:52 PM) *

P345

no, you don't need one. I probably did 5 of these on the floor, lying on my back, before finally building a rotisserie.

scrape all of the tar board off, go over any rusty spots with a knotted wire wheel and see how big the spots get. Post pics

I'm in process of getting rid of all that junk so i really have a good handle on how much rust there really is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.