Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I'm getting tired of needing to occasionally smack my starter to get it to go. What is the current thoughts on starters these days? I'm tempted to have at it myself, but there is anything from $40 lifetime warranty ones up to $150 Bosch remanufactured starters.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Nov 11 2013, 04:20 PM) *

I'm getting tired of needing to occasionally smack my starter to get it to go. What is the current thoughts on starters these days? I'm tempted to have at it myself, but there is anything from $40 lifetime warranty ones up to $150 Bosch remanufactured starters.

I have had luck taking out the solinoid, cleaning and lubing it and puting it back in as well as cleaning all battery contacts and grounds!

The last one I did lasted about two more years before it failed again!
jimkelly
they are a dime a dozen, especially in ca. though 2 will fit In a large flat rate usps box, so it doesn't really matter where you buy them from.

problem could partially be your ignition switch?

mcmark has a good relay solution to reduce the high current going thru it which my guess is many are going to install, seems like a no brainer.

r_towle
I did not have good luck with re manufactured or new Bosch starter or alternators.
Some quality control has left the business.

I have mine rebuilt locally, and have yet to see one of them fail.

pcar916
I gave up on stock starters on both the 914 and 911 years ago, and agree with the re-manufacturer quality opinion. Because of that there have been high-torque starters in both cars since before the turn of the century. I think I have at least five in the store room undiagnosed. The high-torques are smaller and easier to R&R by a longshot.

Wouldn't go back unless I had an original car I wanted to show. In that case I'd go local for a rebuild as well.

With either starter, adding an easily accessible relay is a very good thing on a non-original car.

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.