jim_hoyland
I couldn't past a pic from my iPad, but see:

http://www.newmuseum.org/exhibitions/view/...xtreme-measures

Scroll down a bit

Pretty cool... smile.gif
jim_hoyland
OK here's a pic:
damesandhotrods
New Yorkers will put anything in a museum or gallery and call it art. Personally I’d rather see that 914 on a used car lot instead of seeing dangling…
jim_hoyland
Is the display a confirmation that the center of weight is indeed in the center...
OmaPossu
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 12 2013, 02:40 PM) *

Is the display a confirmation that the center of weight is indeed in the center...

I lifted mine (without motor) from lower seatbelt eylets with wire and it hang there nicely!
7TPorsh
pretty heavy little rock!
rmital
wanting to know what/why the heck he used a 914...googled him...found this:

On a stroll of his property, we find in the scrub a trio of Citroën 2CV vans and a pair of Daihatsu Rockys, plus some immobile Subaru Brats and a yellow ’74 Porsche 914 that Burden is planning to eventually use in an art installation. The 2100-pound Porsche will hang from the near end of a beam, balanced by a 365-pound meteorite he bought in South America.

“I have a 911, but somehow the 914 is so bizarre and so German and awkward, too. It just seems to fit with the meteorite better. I can’t tell you why. There’s some kind of relation there,” he says.

rmital
...and BTW...the guy is a bit nuts.
he's actually nailed (thru his hands) to the roof of the VW Bug.
Masochistic (sp.?) art.... blink.gif

he displayed himself on top of the Bug while it was red lining...some kind of screaming art.... huh.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rmital @ Nov 12 2013, 01:07 PM) *

he displayed himself on top of the Bug while it was red lining...some kind of screaming art.... huh.gif

If you go see the exhibit, get the VIN... smile.gif
jim_hoyland

rmital
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 12 2013, 04:10 PM) *

I checked the website....curious where it was located. All tickets are sold out.
URY914
That would fail with my car..... biggrin.gif
Kraftwerk
Chris Burden, the guy has done some real amazing-head-scratching art works.. The motorcycle in the background is started up daily and the rear wheel is put against that huge wheel and the engine is gunned until the BIG wheel spins very quickly and I might add , with a bit of menace. Then the bike is pulled away, engine shut down, and the big ole wheel just spins and spins.
I don't ask questions, its just pretty great. The only requirement is that you must appreciate revving engines and spinning wheels. If so, you will like this piece.

The bike is a "Montgomery Ward" original, ( M.W. was a kind of Sears dept. store back in the day.)

I can't tell you anything more about the 914 than you already know: ie. It has been repainted, the hood badge is all wrong, the bumpers might not be stock and some of the gauges don't exactly match. It is a rather static work compared with "The Big Wheel" but I like how he equates the 914's odd-ness and uniqueness and rare-ness to a meteorite . Ha ha thats true! Chris Burden is based in California btw.
mittelmotor
A 914 in the air, yet not supported by jack stands. Bravo!!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Nov 15 2013, 02:35 PM) *

Chris Burden, the guy has done some real amazing-head-scratching art works.. The motorcycle in the background is started up daily and the rear wheel is put against that huge wheel and the engine is gunned until the BIG wheel spins very quickly and I might add , with a bit of menace. Then the bike is pulled away, engine shut down, and the big ole wheel just spins and spins.
I don't ask questions, its just pretty great. The only requirement is that you must appreciate revving engines and spinning wheels. If so, you will like this piece.

The bike is a "Montgomery Ward" original, ( M.W. was a kind of Sears dept. store back in the day.)

I can't tell you anything more about the 914 than you already know: ie. It has been repainted, the hood badge is all wrong, the bumpers might not be stock and some of the gauges don't exactly match. It is a rather static work compared with "The Big Wheel" but I like how he equates the 914's odd-ness and uniqueness and rare-ness to a meteorite . Ha ha thats true! Chris Burden is based in California btw.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Do Chris Burden's exhibits show up in other cities; or is this a one time show ?
914_teener
Jim,

There was an article in the LA Times about this exhibit, actually a review. This one take of five floors of a museum in NY.

He was educated in So Cal and is an LA resident. He has several other exhibits in DTLA and was a professor at UCLA when I was there......a long time now....lol.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.