Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 tranny help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I am in the process of selling a 72 911. It has a tranny leak at the rear nose cone (where the shift rod attaches) that I wanted to take care of, as the leak is substantial. Pelican had the part in stock and a great tech article on completing what appeared to be a pretty quick repair. There is an easy access panel on the center hump just below the rear jump seats where this seal resides. The seal is one of those hard rubber with the internal spring type deals - about an inch in diameter. When I got into the repair, I found that my tranny has a metal pressed in bushing instead of the seal Pelican sent me. I must deduct that my tranny has been replaced. This car has 1971 as the build date on the door sticker and was sold as a 1972. Can any of you help me or provide additional info? Do I have to pull the thing and have the case opened to fix this? I know its a 911 issue, but I dont know any of the folks over there and thought I would start here first.
Thanks a million!
Scott S in Colo.
MarkV
Shouldn't there be a pressed in bushing and a seal? confused24.gif
meursault
I'm not familiar with the tech article. I suppose this repair could be done in-car, but it might just be easier to pull the tranny. In any case, are you sure it's a bushing surrounding the shaft? Some original seals had a metal casing on the OD with a rubber sealing surface for the shaft. You should still be able to distort the seal with a punch or chisel to get it out. If not, taking the tranny out and simply pulling off the nose cone should not be a big deal. At that point, whatever you're dealing with can be pressed out.
Brad Roberts
I have NO idea. The person to ask is Hayden.. with WEVO. I'm guessing he is out of town this weekend (Indy 500).. he will respond to this when he gets time.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.