Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan belt confusion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
i discovered today that my fan belt is loose, which may be why my engine runs a bit warmer that I would like. This link on the SAMBA:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0

seems to indicate that the engine crank rotates that fan and the belt rotates the alternator. If this is right, then a loose, slipping fan would have nothing to do with cooling the engine. I was under the impression that a loose fan could cause overheating.

Still a noob,
Eric
LotusJoe
Short answer is the fan is driven directly off the crankshaft. So a loose belt would have no effect on cooling.
ericoneal
Thanks

QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Nov 12 2013, 12:34 PM) *

Short answer is the fan is driven directly off the crankshaft. So a loose belt would have no effect on cooling.

euro911
Yep, just drives the alternator on a T4
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 12 2013, 10:07 AM) *

Yep, just drives the alternator on a T4

That's why we call it the "alternator belt".

The Cap'n
euro911
What do 'we' call the belt on a 911 then? ... since it drives the fan AND the alternator poke.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The parts listings call it an alternator drive belt. So do "we".

The Cap'n
struckn
av-943.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

This is a Joke right? How the hell would an alternator drive anything....hmmm maybe if hooked up backwards to the battery it would become an electric motor. He might be on to something.

idea.gif
Rand
It always cracks me up when someone calls it a "fan belt" on a 914. The fan is physically connected to the crank, not turned by a belt like other cars.

Oh, and the belt drives the alternator, not the other way around. tongue.gif Hence, alternator drive-belt. Name the belt after what IT drives.
ericoneal
Maybe its because I'm still new to this and I read this "Car Runing Hot" thread before asking:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1723104

"Check for simple things first, like a plastic Wal-Mart bag sucked into the fan. Slipping or broken fan belt. Is all of the cooling tin in place?"

This and the Samba thread above didnt make sense to me, so I asked the question...
Rand
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 12 2013, 08:21 PM) *

Maybe its because I'm still new to this and I read this "Car Runing Hot" thread before asking:

"Check for simple things first, like a plastic Wal-Mart bag sucked into the fan. Slipping or broken fan belt. Is all of the cooling tin in place?"

This and the Samba thread above didnt make sense to me, so I asked the question...

Just to be clear, there are no dumb questions and nobody is teasing you. Sorry if the garagesters come across that way online sometimes. (I'm the worst offender.)

Just means they called it a fan belt. We get it. Except maybe this case.... The fan is turned by the crank, not a belt. So to be clear it is impossible for a belt to cause the fan to fail.

Good luck, and keep the questions coming, especially as you learn. And as you do things and report back on the results. beerchug.gif
cwpeden
Realistically a loose belt could cause poor cooling......of the alternator. No? huh.gif

ericoneal
No problem and I appreciate your help on my previous starter thread from way back. I think my CHT may be in the "normal" range (350 cruising, 375-400 on a long uphill), but I would like to optimize that as much as I can and get the temp lower, so I am researching everything that may contribute to that.

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 12 2013, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 12 2013, 08:21 PM) *

Just to be clear, there are no dumb questions and nobody is teasing you. Sorry if the garagesters come across that way online sometimes. (I'm the worst offender.)

Just means they called it a fan belt. We get it. Except maybe this case.... The fan is turned by the crank, not a belt. So to be clear it is impossible for a belt to cause the fan to fail.

Good luck, and keep the questions coming, especially as you learn. And as you do things and report back on the results. beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.