Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Tapiro, seeking facts about its history
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HistoryBuff
I am a history buff researching various cars. I saw a picture of Giorgetto Giugiaro and son looking at the burned out hulk of the 1970 show car the Tapiro. I heard two rumors, back in 1970 I heard when it was shown in mexico the president of Mexico appropriated it. But I have never seen pictures of him with the car so I'll go with Rumor No. 2 that a Spanish industrialist owned it and it caught fire.
So what I want to know is:

who is the industrialist?
What was the name of his company?
Was the car firebombed, or a bomb put in it?
Was the owner injured?
What did he pay for the car when he bought it?
What was the wreck sold for back to the Giugiaros?

I am never clear on if VW owns Porsche or the other way around but theGiugiaros work for VW now but that doesn't mean VW would pay for the restoration of a car badged Porsche. Does any 914 owner want to estimate what it would cost to restore it? I'm guessing $400,000. The only saving grace I can say is that the Aston Marin DB4GT done by Giugiaro sold for $5 million at auction but that was a rare chassis even without the Giugiaro designed one off body. Like to hear opinions and some facts on the flame in Spain.
Photojournalistpro@gmail.com
bulitt
Looks like a DeLorean?
Is this it?

IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE(HistoryBuff @ Nov 12 2013, 07:21 PM) *

Was the owner injured?

a couple of years back I read a note, that the bomb attak failed, because the owner wasn't in the car, the moment it detonated

can't remember where I read this - and of course can't guarantee if correct ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(HistoryBuff @ Nov 12 2013, 10:21 AM) *
seeking facts

The search here does work ... rolleyes.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=Search&f=2

Type in "Tapiro" as the keyword (without the quotes), select "All Forums" under "Search Where" and hit the "Perform the search" button.

Plenty of threads to read through ...
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.