Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72 914 engine - rebuild or replace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advtracing
time to get on to the 72 fixed up , the engine does not turn over and most likley a dropped valve. It is a 1.7 as per year running carbs ...
so do i bother rebuilding the thing or should i just by a replacement from the states for a plug and play. note i bring in 911 parts via sea freight so shipping no issue
jimkelly
you don't have a good shop in NZ to do a full rebuild?

I think many times a plug and play engine is a crap shoot. many have engines that have been - quote - "rebuilt" - but they don't have all the details on what level of rebuild was actually done.

that said, you could get a freshly rebuilt engine from

mcmark -- http://www.originalcustoms.com/
or
raby -- http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
or
others

and would be fine but you would need a good budget.
Abbado Claudio
Is there anything else i need to do for the conversion. I was told at a show that the cams and heads are different between the 1700 and the 1800 is this true,Esky RC Hélicoptères, and that the crankshaft is the same.
jimkelly
immediately above must be a spam? china germany, which is it?
advtracing
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 13 2013, 02:47 PM) *

you don't have a good shop in NZ to do a full rebuild?

I think many times a plug and play engine is a crap shoot. many have engines that have been - quote - "rebuilt" - but they don't have all the details on what level of rebuild was actually done.

that said, you could get a freshly rebuilt engine from

mcmark -- http://www.originalcustoms.com/
or
raby -- http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
or
others

and would be fine but you would need a good budget.

i do have a top tec i use for the early stuff , but rebuild completly a 1.7 or maybe theres a honest seller hear with a worked 2+ltr that might fit the bill
jimkelly
what is your budget?

what would you guy charge to rebuild your 1.7?

do you have a particular horsepower requirement? thus the desire for a worked 2.0.

do you plan to run carbs or fuel injection?

lets see some pics of the car : )

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Abbado Claudio @ Nov 12 2013, 06:41 PM) *
I was told at a show that the cams and heads are different between the 1700 and the 1800 is this true, and that the crankshaft is the same.

The heads are different. The valve sizes in the 1.8 heads are larger, and the register where the cylinder fits in is different.

The cam should be the same. The crank is the same, the rods are effectively the same (different in detail, but they fit the same way) and the whole bottom end is either identical or is at least interchangeable.

The pistons and cylinders are different between the 1.7 and the 1.8, as well as the heads.

--DD
Rand
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 12 2013, 08:21 PM) *

what is your budget?

what would you guy charge to rebuild your 1.7?

do you have a particular horsepower requirement? thus the desire for a worked 2.0.

do you plan to run carbs or fuel injection?

lets see some pics of the car : )

agree.gif
Can't answer anything seriously until we know budget, and some idea of performance goals.
advtracing
Budget 5-7 k to get the car back on the road
euro911
QUOTE(advtracing @ Nov 12 2013, 08:06 PM) *
i do have a top tec i use for the early stuff , but rebuild completly a 1.7 or maybe theres a honest seller hear with a worked 2+ltr that might fit the bill
I'm planning on selling a freshly built 2.0L with modified 1.7L heads, with less than 1 hour run time on it.

The engine is complete with all the tin (powder-coated), flywheel, alternator and ignition system all in place. It does not include intake manifolds, carburetors or an exhaust system. $2,300. USD (plus shipping costs).

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, PM me your email address. I can provide you with the build sheet/specs and pix ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.