Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1911cc engine without head gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
I have an new AA 96mm piston/cylinder kit that will convert my 1.7 to 1911cc, the heads have been opened up to 105mm, no other change.
After checking deck height and combustion chamber volume i realise that this engine will only get a CR of 7.4:1 sad.gif (Im aiming for around 8.1-8.5, yes we have 99octane fuel over here).

However if I do not use any head gasket (which is 1.25mm) I will get a CR of about 8.2. smile.gif

Has anybody successfully been running a longer period without any head gasket on a head that has not in any way been modified for non head gasket use?

/Lars S
michael7810
I had a similar issue, same engine & cylinders. I lapped the cylinders to the head and did not use a gasket. 10K miles and no problems...yet. Recent leak down test was less than 10% on a cold engine.
yeahmag
No head gasket is the correct way to mate the head to the cylinder.
jimkelly
and I think between the cylinders and case, are shims.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Nov 13 2013, 10:57 AM) *

"Correct" "IF" you have a late 2 liter VW T4 engine .................................. Others call for a head gasket. However, there is considerable anecdotal evidence that you can run without 'em.

The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 13 2013, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Nov 13 2013, 10:57 AM) *

"Correct" "IF" you have a late 2 liter VW T4 engine .................................. Others call for a head gasket. However, there is considerable anecdotal evidence that you can run without 'em.

The Cap'n

agree.gif
DBCooper
Awww Cap'n, not again. The VW bulletin (it's a VW engine) advising against using head gaskets was issued in 1990. By custom and law manufacturers go back ten years, in this case that means to 1980, when Porsche was out of that window but for some engines VW wasn't. So Porsche not issuing a bulletin is not really relevant, but VW issuing one for VW engines is, and that's the technical bottom line. But, as the Cap'n rightly notes, there is anecdotal evidence out there.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.