Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat bed towing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chads74
I read through some of the threads about towing backwards, and I know it is not ideal, but wanted to get a little input before I make the tow to Tropical Rumble this weekend.

Here is the situation... I have a flatbed, but because of where the axle is I have too much weight on the rear of the trailer and I am afraid it will start to sway back and forth once I get on the highway. So I was thinking of loading in backwards, it is only about 130 miles from my house to De Land, and I plan on setting the cruise at 60. I was planning on doing the following to help any issues from happening doing the tow. Strap over the targa top and attach to harness bar on either side, put towel between harness bar and back window to help keep a little pressure so window won't blow out ( window has new silicone all the way around outside and doesn't rattle at all). Strap over rear truck lid, windows all the way up expect for small crack to allow for strap holding on the targa top. Lastly I am going to tie the car down by putting large tie down straps through the wheels.

I know that was long winded... Let me know of any additional things I need to consider, or maybe leave out, just say screw it all together and just load it the right way and drive REALLY slow. I'll upload a pic from last night when I had the car on the trailer facing forward, can't really tell how the trailer is sitting though.

TIA
Chad
chads74
Click to view attachment
Rand
Wow.

Just thought I'd break the ice for the sandbox folks. Oof, I respect your desire to stir turds and see what happens.

This gives a new meaning to towing backwards. I think Woody put you up to this.

DBCooper
The problem is losing hoods and tops to the wind. The latches seem to find a way to work themselves loose when they're being rattled around. If you can eliminate that possibility, for example a web tie-down around the whole car, securing everything so it doesn't move, so it CAN'T move, that shouldn't be an issue.

ThePaintedMan
Chad,
I think those are good suggestions. Really want to make sure the top is on good and tied down appropriately. You replaced the window seal so that *should* be good to go. T.C. also mentioned, make sure the windows are completely closed!

Looking at your trailer again, and given the weight of a Suburban, I think you'll be fine towing it facing forward though. I know it's a V8 (even more weight at the back), but if you take it easy and watch out for semis passing you, you'll be fine.

Now we just have to get the beehotch to start on Saturday morning smile.gif
Rand
This was serious? Just latch it down. Unless the latches are faulty and you are driving 200mph, it's not a problem. If you are paranoid, put an extra strap over it. It's not complicated.
tooms351
I tow my car backwards, with that single axle trailer its not a bad idea. I would think the tow vehicle would break the wind (so to speak) and keep wind pressure off the greenhouse, just one more thing to worry about! Good luck, I'll be heading up I4 tomorrow around 1230 I hope. See ya there........Joe
MMW
Ideally you should have about 10-15% tongue weight. So figure about 300-400#. You can check it using a bath scale. Here is how.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determi...gue-weight.aspx

Do not use cruise control when towing. Hopefully that trailer has brakes, if not go on the light side for tongue weight.
Cap'n Krusty
Am I missing something here? Why don't you just drive the car to the event? My old boss, who used a 904/6 (note: that's NOT a typo) as his daily driver for over 20 years, used to really rag on folks who trailered their cars to events. He had quite a verbal dustup with Phil Hill on one occasion ......................

The Cap'n
chads74
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 13 2013, 05:52 PM) *

Chad,
I think those are good suggestions. Really want to make sure the top is on good and tied down appropriately. You replaced the window seal so that *should* be good to go. T.C. also mentioned, make sure the windows are completely closed!

Looking at your trailer again, and given the weight of a Suburban, I think you'll be fine towing it facing forward though. I know it's a V8 (even more weight at the back), but if you take it easy and watch out for semis passing you, you'll be fine.

Now we just have to get the beehotch to start on Saturday morning smile.gif

Dang thing started as soon as I got it off the trailer last night and has been starting all day. Hope it keeps it up all weekend!
Rand
I like the Cap'ns answer the best. Trailer queens worry about things like this. Drive it and enjoy the pride therein.

If this "beehotch' and the towing thing is SO questionable, why not make it all right????? It's not hard, and imagine the satisfaction of everything being RIGHT. ? Mystery tour is lame.
bulitt
Chad- If the bumper of the tow vehicle goes down 2" when the loaded trailer is attached you should have enough tongue weight. IMHO Also, can you fill the tank with gas to move the CG forward (hard to see from pic). So, you may be able to tow forward. You can also put a bathroom scale under the tongue and see what kind of weight you are getting. Then check your owners manual to see what the tongue weight should be.
Just a guess here but thinking 200lbs minimum and 500lbs max.
chads74
Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to load it up tomorrow and do a test run and see how it does.
chads74
QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 13 2013, 06:23 PM) *

Chad- If the bumper of the tow vehicle goes down 2" when the loaded trailer is attached you should have enough tongue weight. IMHO Also, you can fill the tank with gas to move the CG forward. So, you may be able to tow forward. You can also put a bathroom scale under the tongue and see what kind of weight you are getting. Then check your owners manual to see what the tongue weight should be.
Just a guess here but thinking 200lbs minimum and 500lbs max.

Didn't think about that, my gas tank is almost completely empty.
tooms351
That v8 swap runs the engine at about 3200 rpms at 70 mph, not un heard of if I was 15 years younger! Besides the dog likes to hang out the window and he'll slobber all oClick to view attachmentver my just washed car!
ThePaintedMan
Trailering the car is a good idea Chad. I know your concerns and I know the car better then people armchair quarterbacking from a long way away. He wants to have a good, troublefree weekend but at least be able to BRING the car with him and get it to the event if nothing else. If he is broken down halfway after all the hard work he's put into it, that would really be a bummer, so cut him some slack please.

Besides the original question was how best to tow it, not whether you think it should be trailered or not.
chads74
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 13 2013, 07:36 PM) *

Trailering the car is a good idea Chad. I know your concerns and I know the car better then people armchair quarterbacking from a long way away. He wants to have a good, troublefree weekend but at least be able to BRING the car with him and get it to the event if nothing else. If he is broken down halfway after all the hard work he's put into it, that would really be a bummer, so cut him some slack please.

Besides the original question was how best to tow it, not whether you think it should be trailered or not.

Thanks George!
rick 918-S
Fill the tank. It's mid-engine. The car is 50/50 weight distribution. Shouldn't matter front or back. I towed my car on the trailer backwards because the 916 bumper wouldn't clear the trailer. The one time I tried to drive on frontwards I busted the fiber glass.

Cut that angle iron off in front of the car and move the car 6" forward.
Rand
This had to be a spoof. Seriously people, does someone ask if they can haul a car backwards on a flat bed?

I can't wait to hear the real results of this.
JRust
Hauling backward is really not a bit deal. Make sure everything is secure & latches like it should. If your really worried shrink wrap it. Open the rear trunk lid shrike wrap over the lid through the windows & over the top. You can cover the whole area that is a air stop & make it flow right over. Easy on & easy off. Plus having a trailer is always a good thing on a longer trip. Hell even a short one if you don't trust your 914. Much easier to load it on the trailer to get back home if it breaks. If it doesn't even better. You get to enjoy the event to its fullest biggrin.gif . With a trailer your damn near guaranteed to have a good time. Plus have nice A/C while you tow happy11.gif .
ThePaintedMan
Rand, I think he meant trailer. He's trailering it. Look at the pics. Are we done now?

JRust, good points and good ideas! beerchug.gif
69telecaster
And keep those trailer tires pumped up...I hope they're rated for the load.

cm
DBCooper
Further to that suggestion to make sure the windows are closed, if they're open a gust, from truck passing etc, can pop the windshield out. No, didn't happen to me, just heard the story.

JStroud
This thread confused me.....all the precautions, it's a car....its made to drive on the road at speed....without hoods flying off, tops flying off or even glass popping out...so why would towing on a trailer be any different confused24.gif

But just to put your mind at ease....maybe...I've hauled my car to Marks shop at least three times with it backwards on my trailer, no extra strapping, 65mph 1 1/2 hrs each way.....never an issue.

And I would guess that size trailer could handle the weight of two 914s.............................you'll be fine.

Jeff
ConeDodger
Well, I can't agree that he shouldn't trailer it because it's a car and should be driven. I trailer mine because my registration and insurance limit my miles, I like to bring stuff that won't fit, all kinds of perfectly valid reasons to tow.

However, valid points have been brought up. I 'had' to load my car backwards because I had no help, it was nose in to the garage with a broken CV. The only solution short of hiring help was to back the trailer in behind it, push the car out of the garage and down the slope and up onto the trailer. Ask McMark to show you the broken latch on my targa top. Luckily, I keep an eye on things, because I looked back and saw my targa lifting on the passenger side.

These cars are not designed to go 65mph in reverse. I was lucky not to lose my top and then my windshield or worse. Towing backwards can rip your roof off. blink.gif
chads74
I am going to load it up tonight forwards, and see how it does. If I have to go a little slower then thats ok by me. Thanks for all the GOOD suggestions, didn't mean to cause drama, guess some people can't live without it.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(chads74 @ Nov 14 2013, 08:09 AM) *

I am going to load it up tonight forwards, and see how it does. If I have to go a little slower then thats ok by me. Thanks for all the GOOD suggestions, didn't mean to cause drama, guess some people can't live without it.

Good idea Chad. Why not just take it for a short drive on the freeway to check for sway problems.

Try loading your 'heavy stuff' in the front trunk instead of the truck...
DBCooper
QUOTE(JStroud @ Nov 14 2013, 07:34 AM) *

This thread confused me.....all the precautions, it's a car....its made to drive on the road at speed....without hoods flying off, tops flying off or even glass popping out...so why would towing on a trailer be any different confused24.gif

It's never happened to me but I've heard the stories so have never towed backwards. Everything about the car is designed to go forward. The front trunk is usually the only one pointing forward so it's double latched, just in case. Only one latch in the back. Think how your back window is attached, with the wind pushing it inwards, held in only by butyl tape. If it goes the windshield is next, and going backwards it's like a parachute, again with only the butyl tape holding it in. And when it's going forward the top has a rounded edge for air to flow over the top, but going backwards there's an edge to catch that air, rattle the top and eventually unlatch it. If you lose the top that windshield's gone too. It'll probably never happen, and you've shown that, but at the same time when you're going backwards you're set up for some bad things to happen. A few precautions, no big deal, and no more risk.

Long ago I got a Subaru wagon for the kids. They tapped the front, not bad, so we straightened things, put on a new bumper cover, hood and windshield. Quick drive to test our newly hot-rodded engine demonstrated that we hadn't finished the hood latch. I thought he had, he thought I had, we were both wrong and our nice new hood flew up and smashed our new windshield. I'm still pissed off about that. Wind is surprisingly powerful.

JRust
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 14 2013, 06:04 AM) *

Further to that suggestion to make sure the windows are closed, if they're open a gust, from truck passing etc, can pop the windshield out. No, didn't happen to me, just heard the story.

LOL! I did that once. Nice clean way to remove a windshield though happy11.gif
chads74
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 14 2013, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(JStroud @ Nov 14 2013, 07:34 AM) *

It's never happened to me but I've heard the stories so have never towed backwards. Everything about the car is designed to go forward. The front trunk is usually the only one pointing forward so it's double latched, just in case. Only one latch in the back. Think how your back window is attached, with the wind pushing it inwards, held in only by butyl tape. If it goes the windshield is next, and going backwards it's like a parachute, again with only the butyl tape holding it in. And when it's going forward the top has a rounded edge for air to flow over the top, but going backwards there's an edge to catch that air, rattle the top and eventually unlatch it. If you lose the top that windshield's gone too. It'll probably never happen, and you've shown that, but at the same time when you're going backwards you're set up for some bad things to happen. A few precautions, no big deal, and no more risk.

Long ago I got a Subaru wagon for the kids. They tapped the front, not bad, so we straightened things, put on a new bumper cover, hood and windshield. Quick drive to test our newly hot-rodded engine demonstrated that we hadn't finished the hood latch. I thought he had, he thought I had, we were both wrong and our nice new hood flew up and smashed our new windshield. I'm still pissed off about that. Wind is surprisingly powerful.

Had my hood pop up on an old mustang coupe I had years ago. I was only doing about 50-60 when it came up on me, scared the crap out of me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.