Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hell Hole repair in process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
To make a long story short my car spent almost 4 years setting outside striped at the painters and was not done properly so found another guy who quickly pointed out I have a new problem. I thought I had seen a hell hole repair kit though now that I need one cant seem to find it.
I see Engman had one but guess he is no longer around. Any one making a good one that is available now?Click to view attachment beer.gif
76-914
Maddog a member vendor makes them and there was one in the classified here a few days ago.
injunmort
restorationdesign.com fix you right up.
wes
Murphy's law, saw the one in the classifieds but I didn't have any Idea I needed one at that time!
jimkelly
I don't know what your welding skills are?

or what your budget is?

but your rust may be beyond what a hell hole kit was designed for?

if you have a budget, meaning some cash, you may want to touch base with mcmark at http://www.originalcustoms.com/

and have him do the stuff that is beyond bolt-on?

he is about 60 miles from you.

can we see some more pics of this area and of the rocker below, and of the same areas on the drivers side?

jim

ps - here is a good look at a hell hole repair
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111018
Trekkor
The Engman kit was produced from my paper templates.

I'll try to dig them up and make them available.

You can see the original build thread here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=fabbers

KT
wes
Amazing amount of information from all, much thanks! I'll take more photos and post them later, the cars at the shop.
wes
Looking up from under the car
wes
Passenger side view
wes
Driver side view
wes
Driver side looking up
wes
looking at driver side inside eng compartment.
wes
The bad! note the new battrey try the 1st painter welded just above the rust!!
wes
closer!
wes
Work in progress! beerchug.gif
02loftsmoor
I'll put it to the guys in the site, would it be worth while to make the parts from templates, they would be water jetted, and the proper thickness,, I don't know what grade of steel to use, It will cost me $25 to buy the templates then figgure out the rest
wes
After it was cleaned up it's not as bad as I thought, that is it's my first time after 5 914s (just drove them) and I thought it was much more serious. The worst of it is the engine tray and surrounding metal not the inner longitudinal!
Im happy to say I am actually learning about the car I've loved for so long though I think Im going to change my name to Oldenbroke! beer.gif
barefoot
QUOTE(wes @ Nov 15 2013, 06:49 PM) *

After it was cleaned up it's not as bad as I thought, that is it's my first time after 5 914s (just drove them) and I thought it was much more serious. The worst of it is the engine tray and surrounding metal not the inner longitudinal!
Im happy to say I am actually learning about the car I've loved for so long though I think Im going to change my name to Oldenbroke! beer.gif

I did some similar work although my longs just had minor surface rust. Wire brushed that area well with cop brush on a 4.5" angle grinder, then coated stuff with Locktite "Extend". (I've had good results with that stuff) I had to buy a rear trunk panel as that was my major rust area, had enough material left over to cut patch panels for the hell hole area. i cut two panels from cardboard templates, the first one bent up along firewall and also around on side under battery tray panel. After welding this in i fitted another piece to the engine shelf and welded it in. i put a drain hole in the second panel before fitting it in. Wish i had TIG, had to use my old oxy/acetylene method.
After priming,i used some filled epoxy to smooth things out and fill that gap shown.

Click to view attachment
orthobiz
He doesn't really advertise it, but Brad Mayeur has some frame stuff still available on a limited basis. He's 914ltd on the site.

Paul
wes
Well, really happy with the way it has turn out its done and new paint, now for next step!Click to view attachment
ntmatter
Resurrecting an old thread as I'm at this stage of my repair. When fabricating the replacement for the hell hole, it looks like the horizontal patch sits flush, rather than filling all the way down into the HH. Am I perceiving this correctly? This would seem to be a much better way to do this repair - you wouldn't have to worry about drainage in the future and it'd seem to be a more simple shape to fit in there. Is this the way to do it? I'm trying to balance the alternatives between a flat covering panel, fabricating several smaller patches down into the hole, or replacing the motor tray and patching in the two inner vertical bits that need to be cut out.
jacquot
"Resurrecting an old thread as I'm at this stage of my repair. When fabricating the replacement for the hell hole, it looks like the horizontal patch sits flush, rather than filling all the way down into the HH. Am I perceiving this correctly? This would seem to be a much better way to do this repair - you wouldn't have to worry about drainage in the future and it'd seem to be a more simple shape to fit in there. Is this the way to do it?"

ntmatter
If your perception is correct it would seem a reasonable alternative.

Wes,
is the repair holding up? any problems?

Can anyone suggest a reason why this may not be a good idea?

Jacquot
ntmatter
Screw it, I'm going to give it a try.
jacquot
QUOTE(ntmatter @ Dec 10 2015, 06:46 PM) *

Screw it, I'm going to give it a try.

Please let me know how it works, I am in the cutting out stage now. Good luck, jacquot
9fourteen14
QUOTE(wes @ Nov 13 2013, 07:09 PM) *

To make a long story short my car spent almost 4 years setting outside striped at the painters and was not done properly so found another guy who quickly pointed out I have a new problem. I thought I had seen a hell hole repair kit though now that I need one cant seem to find it.
I see Engman had one but guess he is no longer around. Any one making a good one that is available now?Click to view attachment beer.gif

who can do this fix in Massachusetts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.