Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me identify this part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
This little key is 5/8" X 3/16". I don't recall putting it in the new engine. Should I be worried?
914werke
Dave ...... IPB Image
Isnt that the key for the fan Mount?
dgw
Yeah, isn't that the key that locks the fan on the crank?

If that came out I would think you could move the fan pretty easily.
DNHunt
Don't know but I hope not. It might be a little tough to do with the enging in.

Dave
914werke
From Pet:

9, 901 102 147 00, WOODRUFF KEY, 1
914werke
How do You capture the image out of PET?
Tryin to send post it for you Dave
boxstr
Dave I would be very very worried, I don't think I could sleep at night. But then that is just me.
CCLINTHEKEYTOYOURHEART
skline
It can be put back in with the engine installed, I have done it a lot. Just hope it didnt do any damage to the crankshaft. Dont run it without that in there.
Mark Henry
STOP!!!\

Yep!! it's the fan hub key!

If you don't have one it will take out your crank!

Be safe and make sure.
Rocky
Dave, I'm holdin one just as you described. What I can't understand is how it came out as you prolly installed the fan well ahead of the tin. It's like working blind but it can be installed in the car.

I took mine out today for shits and giggles on any and all curvy roads given the dry weather. You'll be glad you made the heat exchangers.

Happy holidays to all, Tim. IPB Image
Rocky
Damn Mark, I got wood lookin at all thoes heads on your avitar.

Tim
balthazar
Um...I guess I'll ask the obvious (and betray my ignorance!!) IPB Image But, how does the fan hub key come flying out the front of the engine? Is it sloppy engine building? Does this happen to high mileage engines? How might I ensure that my current and future engines don't have this problem? Is this some sort of engineering/design flaw with the T4?

Happy Holidays Fellas! IPB Image
Mueller
Um...I guess I'll ask the obvious (and betray my ignorance!!) IPB Image  But, how does the fan hub key come flying out the front of the engine?

It cannot "fly" out...period...no way, no how !!!!

Is it sloppy engine building?

possibly just unlucky, when he installed the hub, it might have come loose, or it could still be installed correctly on the crank and this is an extra part from another project??? We won't know until he takes it apart, he needs to measure it 1st, if the dimensions are too far off, then i wouldn't worry about it, however if the dimensions match what belongs in the crank, then I'd be cussing IPB Image

Does this happen to high mileage engines?

No

How might I ensure that my current and future engines don't have this problem?

Don't worry about right now with your current engine and when you rebuild your engine remember to install it....

Is this some sort of engineering/design flaw with the T4?

No, it is not, it might be a human error and that is all, the Type IV engine is a very robust engine
TC/914
It might also be the WOODRUFF KEY that's used on the inner half of the alt. pulley.
Joe Bob
With the indents on the edges....looks like a beat up/severed dime....
Joe Ricard
Actually I would do it from underneath. Just take the front apron sheet metal off. You should be able to get at the fan hub while seeing what you are doing. Plus you get another chance to gawk at that beautifull motor from the under side one more time. IPB Image Good luck Any chance it came from the other crank when it was pulled apart? WAY LONG TIME AGO????
DNHunt
Well I took the front apron off and then the fan and hub and I found a Woodruff key right where it was supposed to be in the crank. Guess I'll try the alternator next.

Dave
davep
Unless the pulley came off of the alternator, there is no way for the key to get out. As you can see the key fits into a hole in the shaft. It cannot slide out. Then there is the washer and nut on the end it could not get past.
Rusty
My guess is that it's an extra. IPB Image

I've been finding extra parts in my engine compartment for years. IPB Image

-Lawrence
Eddie Williams
never say never
DNHunt
I'll pull the alternator out this afternoon. I can't see how the key could be from there but, I've worked too hard on this not to spend an extra 45 minutes or so to find out. If it didn't come from there I guess I'll write it off to gremlins (same category as JP's magic smoke).

I raced a 1350 Merc for over a year with a nut and 2 washers left over after putting it back together. I never had a problem.

Dave
J P Stein
Effin' gremblins. That's one of their tricks. Sneak into the shop and strategically place a gizmo (bearing half, piston circlip, O ring or 2,....woodruff key) in a spot where you'll be sure to notice it IPB Image .....and that's only when you're done doin' some motor work. A hungry 20lb barn cat will often keep them away.....but cat piss is hard on alloy wheels IPB Image
I heared Wolverines work even better, but there are serious side effects.....
Joe Ricard
See if you can get some of them attack Chichuhas IPB Image
Or Maybe Rob Watson can loan you one of them Killer Dashounds.
Katmanken
My gremblins hide stuff from me.......

I put it down, it's gone IPB Image

I search all over and....... nuttin. IPB Image

I move every thing and still can't locate it.....

Move the stuff back and it's still gone...

Ask others to look around for me (younger eyes) and... still nuttin IPB Image

Give up in disgust. IPB Image IPB Image

Come back later IPB Image

....and it's laying in the exact spot I thought put it down in: wacko:

This has been goin on all my life.... IPB Image

Think I need help... IPB Image

Ken
DNHunt
Well it wasn't any gremlins. It was the mechanics error (ME). TC914 you da man. It was the Woodruff key off the alternator shaft. DaveP don't worry it was my fault.

Here's what I found when I hauled the alternator out. No nut on the shaft.
DNHunt
I found the nut under the car. And I found my large cresent wrench in front of the alternator on the front apron this morning when I pulled off the fan to check the fan hub. I thought that was kind of strange but it was early and I was tired so I didn't make a connection. So, how did this come to pass. Unless gremlins can lift large cresent wrenches, I suspect I left it on the alternator pulley nut. I was using it to turn the engine to find TDC and forgot about it. I think when I started the car it spun the nut off. DOH! IPB Image

See no Woodruff key
DNHunt
Pretty damn stupid mechanic. All better now, but, man I'm tired. Oh ya, it took a lot longer than the 45 minutes I thought it would. If I had to do this for a living I'd starve

Dave
J P Stein
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Dec 25 2004, 04:38 PM)
Unless gremlins can lift large cresent wrenches, I suspect I left it on the alternator pulley nut.

This particular gremlin is named Dave IPB Image
DNHunt
One and the same.

Dave
balthazar
Good job figuring out what the problem was! I learned a coupla things as well...That's what it's all about... IPB Image
Eric_Shea
The 20lb barn cat would definately keep the Gremlin's out of my garage...

I'm allergic to cats. IPB Image

Sure glad you found this before serious damage.
Aaron Cox
you sure it wasnt this gremlin?

IPB Image IPB Image
Eric_Shea
I could easily keep on of those Gremlins out of my garage "without" the help of a cat.

That being said... I'll bet those are starting to go for some money now IPB Image
d7n7master
Blame it on the KIDZ!!! Couldn't have been the BEER!!! IPB Image IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Dec 26 2004, 12:59 PM)
Blame it on the KIDZ!!!

thats what i do!!!

funny thing is....i got no kids.....maybe the gremlin got them too IPB Image IPB Image
davep
Dave,

Did you find the big washer that goes under the nut on the alternator shaft? You will need that also.

Dave
Joe Ricard
Well I have to admit I've been there done that too.
Well almost but just as funny.

Put a ratchet on the harmonic balancer of the Ranger. Don't recall what I was doing but left it on. Come time to start the engine and I heard this Really loud whizzing sound. Quickly shut it off and spent several beers trying to figure out what the hell that noise was. Not until I crawled up under the thing and nearly knocked myself silly did I figure it out... 1/2" Craftsman Ratchet going backwards at 1000 RPMS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.