Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Rubber" fuel line considerations for FI engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I'll be having my 72 redone over the winter, and am concerned about the levels of meth in contemporary fuels and the effect n rubber-based fuel lines.
Know that this has been discussed here before, but a search lead me to nothing.

Caveat: I want to keep my 72 as original as possible.

So, what are the current reco's for fuel line replacement? I'll be doing the Tangerine thing, but what about the internal lines?
P
914itis
Aren't the tangerine lines internal?
Safety mods shouldn't affect originality
914_teener
Big caveat Pat....

You could use the stock lines and replace them every two years....fire insurance.

I would highly recommend the nitrile lined 3M hose. Most everyone I know is running it as has had no problems in the last three years. I know there are a couple of threads here on it.

I quess if there was a way to use the woven cloth look on the new CARB rated stuff that would "look" original.

Let's face it.....gas is not the same as it used to be.
JawjaPorsche
Probably where you live, you can't 100% gas which saves your hoses plus gets better mpg. Looks like you live in a metro area. Don't forget your injector elbows.
Pat Garvey
Thanks for the replies guys! Sort of what I expected..

I live in a metro area of Philly. We have gas that is 10 percent Ethanol. Why I asked.
So, if I read this correctly, there are no engine fuel lines that I should use that aren't nitrile lined.
So, I'm originality oriented as you all know. My understanding is that the exterior surfaces of the 3M lines are smooth, versus textile (as new). Are the 3M lines really that much safer? Does no one provide a lined fuel hose that looks original?
saigon71
I replaced all of mine except one supply line to the fuel pump with FLAPS fuel injection hose with a 30R9 rating. It isn't cheap, but I thought it would do the job for a good long time.

mepstein
Doesn't matter if your not going to drive it.

stirthepot.gif happy11.gif
McMark
Gates Barricade line.
69telecaster
SAE J30R9 is the required specification for FI and modern fuels, regardless of the manufacturer...I know Goodyear makes it.
And I've seen "textile" sleeving in a variety of colors, that might work for a more original look.

cm

EDIT: By sleeving I mean like a jacket that slips over any hose.
brant
METH. .....
914_teener
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 15 2013, 06:03 AM) *

METH. .....

blink.gif I think he means ETH.....

I didn't know it was available in cloth outer jacketing....wonder what the source is?

Gates makes a version as Mark mentions available at the FLAPS and so does Goodyear....however they have a smooth outer jacket.

I think the real issue with the fuel is how long you store it and that it has a tendency to seperate and absorb water....depending on the climate. There are several good articles on this fact on the net on E-10. It is standard fare here in Cali and I add a stabilizer to it when the car is up on its jackstands. biggrin.gif I like not have to worry about it as much, so that's why I use the nitrile lined fuel line. Not that I don't ever inspect my fuel lines....I just don't worry about it as much.

Kind of a diminishing returns question Pat. More frequent inspection, risk and replacement vs. originality.

If they make one with a cloth jacket like the one of the members claims then that may be the way to go.
ChrisFoley
The factory engine compartment fuel hoses were not cloth covered afaik.

Pat, in addition to the stainless lines, I offer a complete package with hoses, clamps, filters & injector elbows.

The one downside we've discovered with the Gates Barricade hose is that the 9.5mm size requires a rather large bend radius to prevent kinking.
This can cause minor difficulty under the tank.
brant
QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 15 2013, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 15 2013, 06:03 AM) *

METH. .....

blink.gif I think he means ETH.....

or Pat is on Meth?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.