Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3D printing ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
So the thread on the " new " inflateable hairspray hardened plastic gobbeldy gook bodies got me thinking.

Does anyone here do 3D printing? How about a run of new RC bodies ? would this be feasible ? I'm thinking they would be tougher, easier to paint on the exterior rather than the interior confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 14 2013, 04:11 PM) *
3D printing, would this be feasible ?

No, you can't print yourself a new girlfriend ...
rolleyes.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 14 2013, 04:13 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

You too ? mad.gif stick.gif
rnellums
I think its possible, but most 3-d machines don't have a tray big enough for the Tamiya chassis, so one would have to print in pieces and glue them together.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 14 2013, 07:13 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

dOOd he just wants to print a fleshlight....jUSt LeaVe sCottER AloNe!
revhi109
I 3D print. My hot plate is only 8" X 8" tho...
JRust
I think Drew Montoya is doing this?
edwin
Pretty sure you'd be better off with a fibreglass shell for your rc car
My housemate and I looked at doing a couple on a large printer he has and it was going to be a pretty expensive shell. Maybe fine as a mold if you're making heaps
What chassis are you running? Biggest problem I see with finding good boddies is the difference in size between brands
okieflyr
May be a bit heavier than the lexan, but it could be run with a flexible filament to allow some give when the body comes into high speed contact with a non moving object headbang.gif .
I was at a 3-D workshop last night biggrin.gif http://nextfabstudio.com/ they have the commercial equipment to print it if [/b]you want and have the STL file. http://www.shapeways.com/ is one of several companies that will print your design as well. Google has a freeware version that you can find a picture of the design and convert it if your so inclined...
McMark
RC bodies are made by vacu-forming plastic. YouTube how to do this with some peg-board and a vacuum cleaner. wink.gif
speed metal army
As nerdy as this is... My mom unearthed my old 1/64th tyco slot car set. It would be pretty damn cool to print a 914 or 2 that fit those little buggers. My 5 yr old cant get enough. "Lets race Dad!"
Doable? confused24.gif
malaga_red75
I've used shapeways several times now. It's awesome. The bounding box dimensions for the "White, Strong & Flexible" material is (650x350x550mm).

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options?li=nav

I use AutoCAD Inventor to create my models then just save it as an STL file and send it to them. They do a quick check on their end and I get the part in 1-2 weeks.

Are there drawings out there detailed enough to recreate it in 3D? Or does someone already have it in CAD?

-peter
rnellums
Its too bad we can't export the forza shape file... I know the xBox kinect can be used as a 3-d scanner, maybe someone could scan a matchbox, or one of the scale models?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.