Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Trojanhorsepower's Rusty 74 restoration Mark II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
trojanhorsepower
Hi All

After finishing my rotisserie I am finally getting back to actual car work (started in 03). I am redoing what I did in the past (made a mess of it) and hopefully moving on from there. Doug has is helping me with the restoration, so hopefully we can make some actual progress. The entire passenger side of my car is pretty rotten so we have our work cut out for us. I got the good part of the long cut out so when Doug gets here maybe we can start filling in the gaps.
In this pic I have cut out the outside long bit.

10/1/15: Joined in the build off challenge!
dlee6204
MMM...Rust chowtime.gif
trojanhorsepower
At this point I was afraid that there was not enough metal to really support the car suspended from the rotisserie, so my lift to the rescue. Now I feel better about cutting out more metal. Hopefully when Doug gets here I will have things ready to go so we can make some real progress.
trojanhorsepower
I have an old Restoration Design? patch panel for the lower inside firewall. It is basically flat. The original has a dimple as does the current Restoration Designs panel. What is the dimple for?
rick 918-S
The dimple actually touches the outside panel. That gets spot welded to add strength to the box the inner and outer panel are forming. Does that make sense?
trojanhorsepower
Thanks Rick,

That makes sense. So I need to make a part to weld between the inner and outer firewall parts since min patch does not have the dimple.
dlee6204
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 16 2013, 10:42 AM) *

That makes sense. So I need to make a part to weld between the inner and outer firewall parts since min patch does not have the dimple.

I can probably get you a dimple patch to weld in if desired. How was your outer lower firewall?
trojanhorsepower
That would be great Doug. The outer section is bad to. The lower inch or so is gone and the part under the seam sealer around the heater tube is also gone. I also found some rust on the engine mount.
trojanhorsepower
Did a little work to boost confidence. It did not come out great, but it is much better than before.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 16 2013, 09:42 AM) *

Thanks Rick,

I'm having second thoughts about what I told you. If I can get a look at one of my cars I can remind myself about that pocket. Could be what I told you. screwy.gif
Douglas Miller
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 14 2013, 08:28 PM) *

Hi All

After finishing my rotisserie I am finally getting back to actual car work (started in 03). I am redoing what I did in the past (made a mess of it) and hopefully moving on from there. Doug has is helping me with the restoration, so hopefully we can make some actual progress. The entire passenger side of my car is pretty rotten so we have our work cut out for us. I got the good part of the long cut out so when Doug gets here maybe we can start filling in the gaps.
In this pic I have cut out the outside long bit.

Sweet! Kids are ready to test drive!
trojanhorsepower
Hi Doug,

Glad to see you here. Don't hang out too long or you will have to learn to weld! Some mean person suggested that all the recent effort was so I could have the car ready as a collage graduation present for Hugh. Personally I did not think that was funny.... well maybe a little.
trojanhorsepower
Tackled another little spot tonight. I am not quite finished, but it looks better than the rusty holes.
trojanhorsepower
Plugged the antenna hole.
trojanhorsepower
Doug Leehr came out today and we got right to work. Doug and I have been busy cutting out the cancer. First we did a little bracing.
trojanhorsepower
Next we started cutting. First the motor mount had to come out.
trojanhorsepower
Then we cut a patch panel to weld in after we clean up the rust.
trojanhorsepower
Lastly we cut out the rest of the rust. In this section. And started to test fit patch panels.
trojanhorsepower
Doug and I worked like elves today. While I did some cleaning Doug whipped up a curvy inner long bit.
trojanhorsepower
We got that part tacked in and cut out the rest of the lower inner long, and tacked in new metal.
trojanhorsepower
At this point we decided to cut out for the day. We were getting burned out. We had been grinding away at this project for hours.........

TargaToy
sawzall-smiley.gif Keep it up! Making real progress there. welder.gif
trojanhorsepower
Thanks Conrad!
It has been really nice to get back to work on this. I could not have done much of it with out Doug.
trojanhorsepower
Well it has been a while since my last update, but I have not been totally slack. After Doug left I have been filling in the welds and I made three plates to help strengthen all the welded joints. I have been welding these in a little at a time.
trojanhorsepower
For now I am out of wire so it is time to grind some welds and clean house. I have my helpers all working hard.
trojanhorsepower
With the holidays over it is time to get back to work. Thanks to my Dad and Father-in-Law, I got some new parts and new supplies. I got a big shipment from RD, a nice autodark helmet and switched my welder over to 10lb. spools.

With the welder up and running I decided to start working on one of the cross braces.
FourBlades

Looking good man!

I love this stage of the project. welder.gif

John
trojanhorsepower
Did a little more today. I have started working on the inner and outer fire wall bits. I started working on the outer section and realized there was no reason for it to be in the right place in relation to the long. After measuring and adjusting I am thinking about welding in the inner part first, but how in the heck am I going to locate that stupid dimple?
trojanhorsepower
I went back to working on the out firewall, because I have not decided what to do about the dimple. After a long time the two sides of my car are connected at the firewall!
trojanhorsepower
I have been picking away at the inner firewall. The patch did not have the dimple, so I cut my old dimple out and welded it in to the patch panel. I have been tacking it in over the last few days.
trojanhorsepower
I have been pecking away at the project.

I got the inside coated with copperweld and the seat belt nut in.

Now I am test fitting the outer cover. I can't believe I am actually getting close to closing this long up. I know I still have tons to do, but this will be a nice milestone to cross.
trojanhorsepower
OK so I have started to test fit the outer long parts. When that is right and welded on, when do the experts think I can remove some of the bracing. Not the main brace, but some of the other bits. I need to remove some of it to start fitting the upper firewall.
trojanhorsepower
icon_bump.gif

Anyone.... anyone....Bueller...Bueller
dlee6204
I wouldn't remove any of it until the long is closed. After that I might keep a simple door brace while it's still on the rotisserie being welded on.
cary
Nothing can come off until the outer rocker is welded in.
My .02c.
trojanhorsepower
OK, thanks guys.
trojanhorsepower
The outer long parts clamped/screwed on.

Edit: Not sure what happened here.
trojanhorsepower
The outer long parts clamped/screwed on.
trojanhorsepower
While I wait for some expert double checking on the outer long, I have moved on to some other bad spots.
trojanhorsepower
This spot is much harder. I am really struggling to fabricate a patch. Does anyone have a parts car they can cut this bit out of?

trojanhorsepower
Ok, the curvy part is probably rotted out on most cars that one would cut up. This is my solution. Not elegant, but it works.

I am glad this is done.
dlee6204
Looks good!

poorsche914
agree.gif
trojanhorsepower
Well with the honeybee season in full swing work has slowed down a little. I have however been chipping away at it. Slowly seeming up the long.Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
I also worked on the engine mount. I still need to blast and prime it, but the metal work looks OK.
trojanhorsepower
Bee work and other projects have slowed the car work down, but not all the work is unrelated. I finally got a shed roof built off my shop.
trojanhorsepower
Once the shed was done I could move my giant stack of lumber out of the shop, which gave me this!
trojanhorsepower
So now I can get back to work. With newly gained access to the bead blaster I was able to finish my engine mount.
trojanhorsepower
I may have accidentally gotten the engine mount in the right place! Still triple checking the numbers, before I weld it in.
dlee6204
Good timing on the update... Was just about to text you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.