Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ok i am falling back on my hobby skills
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
okay being that i am in need of money, due to being laid off. and just going nuts from not having any thing to do, i am going to post this to see what dream items you all would want to see. the skills i have include fiber glass. ie the speaker pods i plan on making, as soon as i get the funds to start them (not presale items ). also i can do casting of plastics including clear and colored items. i have pretty good electronics skills including photo etching of circuit boards. also wood working skills but i cant see that of being any use here.

i know people want lens for our cars, yes i could do clear or red. also i could do reflectors to go between the tail lights, just imagine 914 CLUB reflectors

so knowing what i said i can do or what you might like to see please post here items you would like to see and about what you think there worth, not what you would pay. as you all know you all are cheap
TheCabinetmaker
We all love new products. show us what ya got!
scotty914
i dont have anything yet, except the molds for the speaker boxes. i want to know what the high demand items would be. i dont want to go through the stages of devolping something just to sell 2 of em. the speaker boxes i plan on making will cost me what i will make from 5 of em just to start actually making them.

so WHAT do you all want
Trekkor
A nice looking dash topper. I'd say 95% of us have cracks. IPB Image

KT
markb
A rear reflecter that says simply 914.
Trekkor
Gold, chrome and black 914, 914-6, 1.7, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6 pinned rear emblems.

Other custom ones to order. 914S, 914-8, 914-V8, etc...

KT
Rough_Rider
A lightweight targa panel. GF or CF.... Have been thinginking about this for a while as the stock panel is Heavy!!!!

Yeah i know i can just remove it but the aerodynamics are toast with the top off.
scotty914
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 24 2004, 08:50 PM)
Gold, chrome and black 914, 914-6, 1.7, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6 pinned rear emblems.

Other custom ones to order. 914S, 914-8, 914-V8, etc...

KT

well the rear emblems could be done in brass, and polished for the gold look, or powder coated black, silver

as for the rear reflectors i was going to do a run, about 3 years ago but my house burned down ( back when i was only on the bird board ) and i lost 500 bucks in plex and other parts to make 10 of em. and yes i was planning on making 914 ones. my reflectors were a reflector and had the same profile in black, on the edges as the tail lights. i had a completed prototype and all the parts to assemble 9 more. was planning to take pics during the week but mt house burnt on saturday.

and i could do a light weight roof that bolted in and weighed about 15 lbs but it would be a race only item

why oh why does this stuff happen when i do 914 stuff
Trekkor
With the fiberglass- come up with some *new* flares, spoilers or wing ideas.

I haven't seen a glass engine lid.

KT
scotty914
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 24 2004, 09:07 PM)
With the fiberglass- come up with some *new* flares, spoilers or wing ideas.

I haven't seen a glass engine lid.

KT

now thats an idea a 5 lb engine lid IPB Image

that would take the stock grill and have a rain tray built in for another 3 lbs if wanted but only stick down 1.5 inches IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
EdwardBlume
What about some options on the fog light grill. Most grills are broken or the chrome is rusted the the new ones cost about as much as what some are willing to pay for a whole car. It's also be nice to have a racing version that just covers the area, or is see through, or is black exept for one hole to create a beam.

Sorry, I'm rambling....
Trekkor
Work it! IPB Image

Engine lid with rain tray to accomodate a SIX. IPB Image

Go! Go! Go!
Aaron Cox
METAL fog light grilles!
scotty914
i dont see a big deal on the fog light grills there only about 115 each

but i am really thinking about the engine lids, welded al. frame with fiberglass shell that takes a stock grill, at about 200 bucks with rain tray, 150 each with out. one reason why that much is i do all grp work in epoxy.

any body interested in the engine lids let me know

now this is why i posted this
Bruce Allert
Sounds like a good plan Scott. That rear reflector with 914 or 914 Club or even no writing would be great. I've been checking out alot of the new cars with their wid rear red reflectors and there's a few that can be cut down to fit.

Go for it.

....b
markb
f/g SC flares?
jimtab
how about a rear "reflector" that still allow use of the trunk lock?
bondo
I've got one.. How about a front turn signal lens in the style of the 914-8 and early 914-6 prototypes? They look awful nice and you could make one that fit the stock housing.
DJsRepS
I would like to see some cool sunvisor replacments. I would like black leather embossed with harleydavidson eagles or 914. Or some iluminated tinted plastic ones with 914 engraved on them. If iluminated the engraved 914 and the edges would glow...... Or some custom door cills to replace the chewed aluminum ones like burshed stainless........ Or some custom compartments between the seats with good drink holders change holder, cleanex holder, map holder, hidden compartment, and a fold down cover for it that doubles as an armrest for driver and passenger and not get in the way of the shifter..... You could build your vacuume form mold for the base and go from there. At palmers plastics I made a universal speaker mold. He had an A/C compressor sucking the vacuum and an rigged bake element heating the plastic. What Im saying is a vaccume mold system would not be real hard or costly setup at home.
Joe Ricard
I kinda like the sun visor thing. Mine are all warpy and saggy. Come to think of it so am I IPB Image
newdeal2
Engine lids/rain trays are a GREAT idea....but they must be better than original so you can use intakes , etc. IPB Image
morgan
RACE TARGA TOP YA IPB Image
rhodyguy
a Special Edition front valance, that doesn't have a shitty finnish, and can be fastened without having to bend the corners in to install it. you could sell all you had time to make.

kevin
jandro62
I agree with a glass engine lid, or even just a shallower rain tray to accomodate those of us running carbs, intakes, etc. that don't fit otherwise. That'd be awesome.
scotty914
so far the things i am running around in my head are a light weight engine lid that can come with or with out a rain tray that should clear carbs, as long as there is a inch and a half clearence between the grill and the top of the carbs now. also a light weight quik bolt on targa roof, both items should be in the range of 10 lbs complete maybe less. both will have an aluminum frame glassed in to the stucture. the engine lid would be designed with pins in the front to drop in to the welded in nuts for the hinges now and a pin that would lock in to the stock catch. the roof will have simple bolt on levers to lock it down that should work with or with out the interior trim in place.

the roof should be about 125 to 150 each, depending on what the lock down system costs. if i do the roof it will be a one time 10 item run, due to the mold methods i would use. and i would limit it to one per person for 2 weeks, then they would be up for grabs. now if some wants i could make a silicone rubber mold for this, that would be theirs when completed but it would cost about 150 in silicone. but i dont see a long term product in this

now the engine lid will be stock in apperance, but weigh about 10 lbs with the grill and rain tray, which will be a long term item made in runs of 5, most likely 10 in first run. they should cost about 150 to 200 depending on rain tray and a couple of other varibles

i figure between both items they would save 40 lbs ( iirc both items stock weight ) did you hear that all you sawzall fools

also i would set aside 5 to 10 % for the 914 club.com.
Trekkor
What % do I get? IPB Image

Just kidding, I would love to see this turn out for you.
I might take a spare engine lid and hack on it.
Cut big ovals so my 8 inch K&N filters can pop out?

KT
neo914-6
The front signal lense like #4 in lense
Felix
markb
QUOTE (Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Dec 25 2004, 08:23 PM)
The front signal lense like #4 in lense
Felix

Those are really cool.
GWN7
They can be made (just like new), but as it was discussed before, the turn signal buckets are different on that car and the #4 type wouldn't fit on our cars (too big). It is possible that reproductions could be made of the #4 ones and then cut down to size to fit the smaller assemblies. Then new ones that would fit our cars could be made.

Here is a sample of the plastic material that I got to make lenses.
Andyrew
How about a dash that has guage pods (like 2in or the standard small size) on either side of the main dash? Like little ears...

Would take the "square dash" away...

I want to make one for myself, I wouldnt buy one. but I think alot of people might...

Dont have a pic, but I think the guy with the nissan engine (sorry forgot your name) made one for himself....

Andrew
scotty914
actually that would be easy to make smaller, and mantain all proprotions exactly. just would need two extra steps in making the master. i wont go in to it here but its about 3 hours of work to do it, and about 50 bucks in materials.
McMark
Here's an idea along the lines of the lightweight targa top. Put a section in the middle that is not fiberglass, but just a single layer of metal screen material inside the epoxy. Kind of making a "moonroof". I know the clear Saratoga tops are very popular.
DJsRepS
What? no one liked my idea of an inbetween the seats cup holder with compartments and an arm rest that can be left up out of the way. I posted on page one of this thread. My 72/914-1.7L has only a shallow plastic OEM tray. Even if you drop the lame arm rest idea a better somthing needs to go in there. Ive dumped too many morning coffee's in that car. Anyone got some pics or ideas of what you have stuck there?
grasshopper
The rear reflector sounds great with 914 or 914 club on it. I also like the idea of the center console having a drinkholder... haha IPB Image
Rusty
If you're gonna dabble in fiberglass, how about fiberglass bumper tops? IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Dec 26 2004, 09:24 AM)
If you're gonna dabble in fiberglass, how about fiberglass bumper tops? IPB Image

I like that idea as well....I was talking to a fellow club member about this a few weeks ago...apperantly there is someone that makes them, but I believe he wants about $150 each which is too much IMHO, if they sold in the $75 range, I think you'd have a seller on your hands (I'd buy a front and rear right now..."got paypal"? IPB Image )
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 26 2004, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Dec 26 2004, 09:24 AM)
If you're gonna dabble in fiberglass, how about fiberglass bumper tops?   IPB Image

I like that idea as well....I was talking to a fellow club member about this a few weeks ago...apperantly there is someone that makes them, but I believe he wants about $150 each which is too much IMHO, if they sold in the $75 range, I think you'd have a seller on your hands (I'd buy a front and rear right now..."got paypal"? IPB Image )

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Wasn't someone going to make rear braker caliper outer adjustment screw caps?

You could sell those to all the parts houses (Worldpac, SSF etc...) if they were acurate.
azbill
How about making these -

These are the small plugs that cover the screw holes. You can often find a whole bunch of these floating around on the floor under your seats. Plug those holes, and give your interior that extra good factory original look.

Interior Trim Plug, Black, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), 914-6 (1970-72), As Needed, Each
B-552-233-10 $2.55

The above is from PP. I am sure most everyone needs them. I need about 10 or 12 and some for spares but not at $2.55 each.

Azbill
scottb
maybe someone else makes them already but i sure would like an under dash gauge mount to hold the 2 remaining factory gauges rolling around on the floor since i removed my center console. not in the mood to buy new gauges simply to accomodate a smaller mount. call me cheap!

and, i will put down $ for a rear reflector that allows the use of the trunk lock and simply says 914....

and in addition to all the above, i want kids that listen and a wife that doesn't yell at me!!!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Mueller
I still think there is a tiny, tiny market for the an opto interrupter(s) for the D-Jet trigger points for Mallory/MSD distributors......

i found one circuit that uses an LM339 comparator chip instead of a transistor...not sure if it'll "ground-out" yet or not....gotta play with the circuit simulation software more IPB Image

figure out the electricals and I'll do all the mechanical and pay for the parts....we'll figure out a way to split the profit if we sell any of them IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Here's the cap I was referring to:
mike_the_man
I like the bumper top idea. If you could sell them for around $75 I'd be interested. I thought about trying it myself, but I have a feeling the results would be less than desirable.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Dec 29 2004, 04:15 PM)
I like the bumper top idea. If you could sell them for around $75 I'd be interested. I thought about trying it myself, but I have a feeling the results would be less than desirable.

Timo made custom tops without the ridge in them...man his teener is sweet!

Bumper tops would be your top seller. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2004, 01:42 PM)
Bumper tops would be your top seller. IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

75.00 seems like a winning number! IPB Image
GTeener
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 25 2004, 11:45 PM)
Here's an idea along the lines of the lightweight targa top. Put a section in the middle that is not fiberglass, but just a single layer of metal screen material inside the epoxy. Kind of making a "moonroof". I know the clear Saratoga tops are very popular.

How about molded smoke colored fiberglass targa tops so you can see the sky without taking the top off?
markb
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 29 2004, 01:08 PM)

75.00 seems like a winning number! IPB Image

IPB Image
blaize
Yeah, I'm all over the bumper tops. there's your winning idea now get outside and start kicking them out
DJsRepS
How about 360 ground effects all fiberglass remove OEM bumpers and rocker panels and install custom spoiler front and rear clips 4 pieces then the wheel flares 4 more pieces. 8 parts to a new 914 look 9 parts if you make a low profile rear trunk spoiler. All for around $3000 or less.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.