Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blown oil cooler seals?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I lost about 3/4 quart of oil on a recent 1380 mile road trip. Car didn't leak any oil before I left and didn't burn much either. Oil residue is heaviest around the oil filter area and the passenger side of the car, but I see traces of oil all the way from the top of the firewall pad to the rear valence. I may have more than one leak. Engine bay got hot enough that the fuel pump vapor locked on the trip. Pushrod tube seals look good. Does this sound and look like failing oil cooler seals? How big of a job are they to replace?

Click to view attachment
Ferg
Start with easiest first, pull that oil filter see if it split.
brant
Oil pressure sender often sprays onto the firewall
TheCabinetmaker
I agree with Brant. Pressure sender is on the top. If it's dry, work your way down.
Kirmizi
agree.gif
Eliminate the simple stuff on the top side first.
Pressure sender (check between the plastic body and metal threaded portion) and the oil filler gasket and bail.
76-914
agree.gif also know your other areas to check then clean it and watch it. if an area is tough to reach use some brake cleaner. autozone has some lo voc vanilla scented stuff that actually smells good. there are a few plugs on the front of the engine, oil pump, etc. any oil leak you have one of these cars will go everywhere so it's hard to tell if it's oil coated. don't forget the valve cover gaskets.
SirAndy
Or, you popped a oil galley plug ...
idea.gif
Cap'n Krusty
In my experience, a blown oil galley plug or blown oil cooler seals will effectively dump ALL the oil RIGHT NOW. Like in seconds at cruising RPM. My money's on the oil pressure switch.

The Cap'n
Drums66
....Oil galley plug idea.gif

bye1.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 15 2013, 06:32 PM) *

In my experience, a blown oil galley plug or blown oil cooler seals will effectively dump ALL the oil RIGHT NOW. Like in seconds at cruising RPM. My money's on the oil pressure switch.

The Cap'n

agree.gif Rod D popped one on the way out of Moab RRC years back, you could follow the oil trail, lucky he only went 30 yards or so.

r_towle
Head vents?
Seems they spurt more on the highway.
saigon71
Did some investigation and found my oil pressure sender to be loose and leaking where the plastic insert meets the metal base. The whole plastic piece turned freely in the base. Ordered a new one from Pelican and hope to get a few more drives in before the salt hits the road.

Thanks again 914 world!
type47
Opportunity to install a VDO dual sender and oil pressure gauge idea.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 24 2013, 05:34 PM) *

Opportunity to install a VDO dual sender and oil pressure gauge idea.gif

+1 ... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.