Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I am planning on attending Dr. Evil's transmission clinic in VA during February. I thought I would look around at getting some common parts that might be needed. I have been amazed at the cost of some of these parts! I know the good Dr. brings an assortment of parts but even things like the simple bearings are high.

I thought I would replace the 1st gear synchro, intermediate bearing, and diff bearings. Anyone have thoughts on others parts that might be "for sure" parts to replace and any sources with reasonable costs?
brant
If it doesn't shift well into first then 1st slider is important
bulitt
I would discuss your parts needs with Evil prior to purchasing from another source.
Usually he is much cheaper.
Also, he will sort (and flip bands etc.) your stuff so the gears which get the most use end up with the
best looking (wear) parts. It's a very cost effective method which produces a great product.
I'm sure a dealer would pitch most of this stuff in a heartbeat.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 15 2013, 07:21 PM) *

I would discuss your parts needs with Evil prior to purchasing from another source.
Also, he will sort (and flip bands etc.) your stuff so the gears which get the most use end up with the
best looking (wear) parts. It's a very cost effective method which produces a great product.

I have discussed it with the good Dr. But I thought it might be worth asking the folks here to see if they had thoughts or a stash of parts. Certainly he will be the best source but he mentioned he did not have the diff bearings.
larryM
same issues in the British - MG-Austin world -

you can buy a complete used trans for $50 or less

(914 901 at Pick-n-pull - IF you can find one anymore)

-but the internals sell for 10x as much cuz they are NLA as parts

luckily - i have 2 known good extra 901 sideshifters

Dr Evil
QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 15 2013, 10:21 PM) *

Bullet is correct.

I dont get why you are looking to source parts for replacement of parts that you dont even know are actually bad. Its your money, waste it if you want.

Also, I can get any new parts you want, and have a new 1st slider for sale.
Mblizzard
Well I guess where I am at is looking towards at point past the build day. If someone wanted to do this and the Dr. was not there to meet our parts needs then what? Certainly I will buy my parts from the Dr. and don't want to waste money but as with many jobs sometimes the labor and time required makes you consider replacing a number of parts while something is down. If there is a way to buy a $300 bearing for $50 and replace it during a build that is kind of hard to pass on. That seems like an impossible pipe dream for this application but I did not know all of the possible sources for parts so I thought I would ask. Nothing more intended than asking the question.
Ian Stott
My experience with Mike tells me to you can't go wrong listening to him (even when he is singing)! I understand you don't want to pass up a good deal on a part, but you can go broke saving money buying stuff you didn't actually need.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
jimkelly
I can ditto this - as a previous hoarder and parts whore : )

--

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Nov 16 2013, 08:25 AM) *

My experience with Mike tells me to you can't go wrong listening to him (even when he is singing)! I understand you don't want to pass up a good deal on a part, but you can go broke saving money buying stuff you didn't actually need.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Mblizzard
I guess too many times in the past I have taken the approach of replacing only the parts that were bad and had it bite me in the ass. Without a question I will go with what the Dr prescribes, but if there was an approach where I knew I would not be doing this again for 40 years (due to parts) that would not break the bank, it would be hard to pass on. But it is just not a possibility.

Thanks for the input. See everyone in February!
Mike Bellis
Buy some spare trannys. They are cheaper than buying parts. At the Dr's clinic you can either build them or use for parts.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 16 2013, 09:18 AM) *

Buy some spare trannys. They are cheaper than buying parts. At the Dr's clinic you can either build them or use for parts.

agree.gif
I did a Dr Evil clinic four years ago. I had an old tail-shift 901 and and old side shift 901 and was converting my '72 to side shift. All the best parts from the 2 went into one "rebuilt" 901 and the rest was given to McMark as "scrap."

Another thing that happened to me was I returned parts to Pelican that I did not use. I ordered parts, didn't need em, then got $$$ back (less shipping costs etc).

Have fun beerchug.gif
gothspeed
Some questions:

When/where is the next 'evil clinic'?

and

Do gear box cases have serial numbers that 'go with the car' for pedigree or originality?

The above would help me figure what case I should use for the rebuild ... popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
Your COA would have the trans number, likely. Not a 100% sure and this is my opinion ph34r.gif

I have a planning thread for most locals, but SoCal has not been established, yet. I will cone see y'all, though. Dont worry.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 16 2013, 06:41 PM) *

Your COA would have the trans number, likely. Not a 100% sure and this is my opinion ph34r.gif

I have a planning thread for most locals, but SoCal has not been established, yet. I will cone see y'all, though. Dont worry.

Cool, thank you for the response Dr. ! ...... I guess it will make sense to use the original trans case for the rebuild/upgrade ....... smile.gif
Dr Evil
If you can, I agree.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.