Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you own a 914 and have never driven one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Dan Anderson, Pnambic, drove Doug Leggins' car at the Fall Foliage Classic this year. It was the first time he has driven one.
Dan is very excited about 914s, so it was very surprising to me that he hadn't driven one before.

Do YOU have a 914 and have never driven one?
Qarl
It's been so long, it almost feels like it.

Although I have been "offered" to drive cars (VegasRacer, IamChappy, etc.), I usually decline. I really appreciated the generosity, but I'd rather take a ride in a car that someone knows all of the ins and outs of.
Rhodes71/914
Had never driven one before I bought mine, and it was a couple of months after getting it that I finaly drove it and that was short lived.

I knew they were fun and I love the type IV engine so I knew i would like it.
neo914-6
I've never driven one with an original engine... IPB Image
(I've rode in two)
Felix
Gint
QUOTE (Qarl Posted: Dec 24 2004 @ 10:19 PM)

It's been so long, it almost feels like it.

Although I have been "offered" to drive cars (VegasRacer, IamChappy, etc.), I usually decline. I really appreciated the generosity, but I'd rather take a ride in a car that someone knows all of the ins and outs of.

LOL Same here. Except I'll accept an offer to drive a 914. Especially a 6.

Won't be long now. Should have mine back on the road by Fall. IPB Image
mikey
I've almost never driven one. I've had 3 very short drives (less than a mile each) and was a passenger twice in 914-6s. I've never even sat in a 914-4. After my first drive I decided that I had to have one. It didn't matter whether it was a 4 or a 6. That was about 3 years ago. I found my 914-6 basket case shortly after that and have been working on it most weekends since. Hope to be driving it soon.
Mueller
had my 1st 914 for about a year before I 1st drove it....well worth the wait IPB Image
skline
I have never driven the one I am working on. I have had sevearl in the past and drove the hell out of them. Thus creating this immense desire to drive this one. All the ones I have had were 4 cylinder car. I can hardly wait. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
bernbomb914
I drove one a long time ago when I went thru the Bob Bondurant School at the old Ontario Speedway. They used the 914 to start you out on the coarse. they had 2 green ones and I dont remember if they were 4s or 6s. I did not drive one untell I picked up one in Santa Barbara that I bought on Ebay. I assumed that I could buy the car and drive it for a while and would not lose a lot of money. HA HA It bearly made it back to Temecula. and that was the begining of a long expensive realationship that I wouldnt change for all the world. This forum has made it very enjoyable.

Bernie IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
lapuwali
I've owned two, drove both, but neither had a stock engine from day one. One had a 2.4 911T engine in it, the other a plain 1.7, but with carbs. Someday, I hope to drive a fuel-injected four-cylinder 914, though my first probably won't be with D-Jet.

I drove the /6 before I even owned it, but only put about 500 miles on it myself before it became the pile of parts it remains to this day (cluttering up someone else's garage).
-JR-
I own one but have never driven ANY 914 before! ha ha...

I've sat inside it, made vrooming noises and played with the shifter though IPB Image ... So I am well versed in opperating a 914 now.

-JR-
Jeroen
well... pretty close
I drove my teener for about 3 days when I bought it, which was more than 5 years ago

It's funny, cause I've covered more miles in a 914 in the States than here at home.
First time over, Brad let me AX the orange 3.0L racecar
And when I visited last year for the WCC, I drove a stock /6, the orange racer, Howard's "Suzy" and John Peterson's race car.
spare time toys
Lets see ... Went to A.& P. school and car pooled with a guy named Dan who had one I never got to drive it. Wow blasting through Milwaukee in it on our way to and from school. 22 Years later get one go to Cal. to pick up a 928 for the engine to put in it. Get a Quick ride in Aarons, and still have not driven one. I think I am the one being driven. IPB Image
gaz914
I've never driven a 914 IPB Image

Bought my project about 4 years ago with the intent of just bolting the six in...
Started investigating the little rust bubbles at the front and found more (sounds familiar?) than I would have liked.

Stripped a lot of it back to bare metal now but "life" keeps geting in the way!

New Years resolution is to make some real progress in 2005.

If it wasn't for this place, I'm sure I would have given up by now - the enthusiasm here is really infectious.

GAZ
Eddie Williams
My story is much like gaz's. I drove it onto the trailer to bring it home... 7 years ago. Strated digging into it, before I knew it it was stripped to a bare chassis. Been laid off (twice), bought a new house, a baby boy, a job that travels, going back to college, and a touch of ADD (a.k.a. DWD) have all contributed to scope crawl on this project. With my severance package (53 days of pay) I plan to get her in paint this year, and then the reassmbly begins.
rick 918-S
I bought mine about 1992 or something. Tried to test drive it before I purchased it. It was a 1972 white 1.7. with a side shift trans. The shift bushings and right front motor mount were so bad I couldn't shift the car. There was something about the car I couldn't walk away from so I bought it anyway.

My shop manager was with me. We ended up buying a tow strap. I can't say I really drove the car. It ran nice and had good heat so I let the car idle with the heater on as we flat towed it behind my BMW 2002. I was a passanger behind the steering wheel for about a 180 miles. If we would have been pulled over we'd still be in jail.

When we made it back to the shop we stripped the car down to the shell. While the car was torn down My shop manager Dave bought a hopped up 2.0 Brad Mayuer car. That was my first REAL experience with the 914! I gotta tell ya I was impressed! During the time my car was apart we added the glas flares, changed the bolt pattern, added 15"X8" fuchs, 916 style front and rear bumpers, etc. It didn't go back together until about 1994 with the 1.7. I drove the car for one summer. The next year I never even started it. There was nothing wrong with it I was just simply uninspired. Being a big Block Chevy guy in a past life you can understand why I was eventually going to search for more HP.

BTW: My former shop manager Dave has another 914 now and a 928 motor..... who knows what will happen next... IPB Image
clarkcou
Never driven a 914, but used to own and drive a 71 911S. Had a great ride in a 914-6 (John Dunkle's) at the ECR in and around Watkins Glen. Mine won't be so nice or so fast (or stop as quick) as that one. Bought two, making one, when time allows (currently ~1 hour/month)
Andyrew
I owned a 914 and never had been driven in one...

I was 15.....
Pnambic
Thanks Sean, you out-ed me... IPB Image IPB Image

Its amazing how plans can change when finances don't go the way you intended... IPB Image Things are pretty much back on track now. Only problem is, since I've started coming here, there's about a bazillionty things I now think I need to do to it. IPB Image

- Chief teener driver wannabe.
Korijo
Got mine 80 miles N of Seattle (Bellingham). Turns out, its less than a mile from my best-man's house. Towed it there. Tune up, replaced gas tank with a gas can, new brakes... it runs !!

Drove it once (80 miles home), top off, no rear lid or tail lights, 5 gallon gas can... what fun !!

Too bad I wont ever drive it again IPB Image
jandro62
lets see I drove mine home 60 miles from the PO's house (and he was worried enough that he wanted me to call when I got back to my house). Another 400 miles of decent driving after working on it off and on, and now I haven't had it together in about 2 years. I'm pretty anxious to get it back together. I've still yet to get an autocross in, which was the original intention of the car.
bryanthompson
Before I bought the 944 or the 914, I was at my friend's house helping to drop the engine on his 914. This was like, 2 and a half years ago. Anyway, after we were all done and got it back together, I sat in the driver's seat, but having no manual driving experience, I didn't drive. It was fun to pretend to drive it in my head, though.

They say that once you take mental possession of something, you're bound to end up with it... I guess the Porsche-fu was strong with me. I bought a 944 a few months after that, and the 914 this last summer.

I still have yet to actually drive a 914, though IPB Image This spring I'm going to be fixing rust and things, then she should be drivable. I'd like to at least get it rolling so I don't lose interest. IPB Image rocking nana.gif
i love porsche
one year and i still havent driven my baby = [
guywan914
only drove mine twice, once for the test drive the next time was 25 miles to my house. On the way home it didn't seem to have much power but it is a 75 with single carb and air conditioning.My son was following me as we entered the highway for short distance when all of a sudden a huge puff comes out the exhaust and tons of material with it. IPB Image Seems as though mice had built a nest in the exhaust and decided to go for a short ride before bailing all over the entrance ramp. Hope to have the car ready by summer it's on the rotisserie right now.
tracks914
A 5 mile test drive and gave the guy a cheque for $4000. I then trailered it 300km home, took it off the trailer and proceeded to strip it down to the frame for a complete restoration. Then registered it, "safetied" it, insured it and drove it down the street in the rain 17 months 28 days later.
A day I will never forget. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
jd74914
I own 2 and have never driven either (I got them because a 914 was my dads daily driver for 6 years in the late 70's and early 80's) Mine should be drivable by this spring

Of course, I've had little motivation since I've had them. I only got my drivers licence 2.5 mos ago (I'm only 16) Now I'm more motivated, and I finally have a garage IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.