Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing axles from trans...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I've heard people here saying how hard it is to get the axles off or on.

Two words: air ratchet.

it's so simple. Just zip them dudes off or on.

I'll do it tomorrow. Or a least think about it a lot.

KT
EdwardBlume
The stub from the tranny can be massaged with "LOVE" with an ordinary rubber mallot and a well placed tap....

Air rachet?
Brando
IPB Image

best method on 4-bolt axles... IPB Image
Trekkor
I'm talking about the 8mm twelve point allen head bolts that hold the things on. IPB Image

In that tight space, just pull the trigger and go.

I've heard people talking about vice grips and stuff... IPB Image

KT
mightyohm
It's not hard until you strip one of the bolts. Then out come the vice grips. Air ratchet won't help you there.... Also with a 3/4" extension you can easily get the ratchet away from the rubber boot and the job is a piece of cake. Just make sure the triple star bit is firmly seated into head of the bolt before you start turning.
Mueller

takes less than 5 minutes with standard hand tools, not sure what is hard about it??? IPB Image

careful with the air-tools, too much torque during the install and those bolts will snap...BTDT IPB Image
skline
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 24 2004, 09:50 PM)

Two words: air ratchet.

it's so simple. Just zip them dudes off or on.

I'll do it tomorrow. Or a least think about it a lot.

KT

You mean there is another way??? That is how I always do it. So fast it takes like 3 minutes a side, if that.
iiibdsiil
Air ratchets are for wussys, just use a 3/8 drive impact gun for removal. One tap on the button, it is out. Takes more frigin time to reposition on the other side than to pull the whole axle out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.