Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did I overfill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
My oil level, cold, was just below the bottom mark. I aded a half quart, waited and checked, and that put it exactly between the two marks. I then added the other half, assuming that it would bring it to the top mark and now its WAY past that. (see pic)
Whats going on here? Should I drain some of this out before starting it?

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
Looks over to me. The lines are a half quart apart. Might want to get it fully warmed up and check it again. At that point you can drain what you need to. Kinda tricky because you should replace the drain plug gasket after every tightening.

The Cap'n
Krieger
I have ran my oil overfilled for years with no issues. I run it the same distance above the top mark as the line below the top mark (when checked cold). If I have ever overfilled I use my mityvac brake bleeder inserted in the dipstick tube to suck some out.
boxsterfan
I believe 3.7 quarts (with filter? anyone?) is what a 914 motor takes. Many people fill them with 4 quarts anyway with no issues.

If your motor is old and worn like mine (burning some oil and leaking a bit) then you will be back down to that line in no time!!

Mike Bellis
Have some one with a shop vac help you. Place the vac hose on the oil fill hole. Turn on while removing drain plug. Vacuum will hold the oil in the engine. Toggle vac power allowing some oil to drin out. Replace drain plug and check level.
ericoneal
THanks, I'm going to get dirty and just let some out of the drain plug. Curious because these threads say that the mark is 1 quart between lines:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...html#post999752
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1359799

and others that I have read say that its ok to be a well over the line.

Basically I dont want to fire this thing up and blow a bunch of seals...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.