Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Piston Ring Gap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OU8AVW
I have a set AA 96mm cylinders, a set of KB pistons and a new set of Hastings rings.
So I searched the forums and found two threads with opposing information.
In one thread (I think) Jake says to leave the top ring gap at stock .015
The opposing opinion is to increase it to .025

I think I would default to whatever Raby says but I want to clarify that stock out of the box, .015 is the magic number.

Any other opinions?
reharvey
The instuctions that came with my KB pistons said to use the larger gap on the top ring. Lots of info about this on the web. Check it out. Ray
Bulldog9
QUOTE(reharvey @ Nov 16 2013, 11:06 AM) *

The instuctions that came with my KB pistons said to use the larger gap on the top ring. Lots of info about this on the web. Check it out. Ray

I've read a bunch on this too, will be installing mine in a few weeks. Its the upper ring, and from what I understand Raby says with the Hastings ring set it is not an issue in our motors, and no longer recommends the modification due to the cyls/heads not getting as hot as other applications, i.e harleys, etc... Makes me nervous though. Big pucker factor here!
OU8AVW
My ring gap measured .020 out of the box. This is between the two measurements so I think I will leave it as is biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.