Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid PO !!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
:::sigh::: decided today would be a nice day to finally install the Weltmeister 140 rated springs....jacked up the 14 on all fours and my buddy noticed the undercarriage at the rear seemed a bit bare...skit-dattle over to his and compare...turns out the IPB Image STUPID ASS PO IPB Image had removed the rear sway bar...and to top it off he had the stock springs cut and we didnt even have to compress the springs. Worse of all the springs would fall out of the boot holding the spring. Other than that installed the springs, and IPB Image now in search of a complete rear sway bar for a 74' 1.8L.
skline
A lot of people remove the rear bar, they think it handles better. I dont but some people do. As for the springs, he probably cut them to lower the back end. I wouldnt but it was common in the 80's.
dlo914
hmm...ive riden and driven my buddies 74' 2.0L 914-4 and it seems to handle a lot nicer since it's got the sway bars all around...
skline
I agree, I wont own and drive another one without them. Its just so much nicer.
dlo914
yup...hmm answering all my replies might as well IM me at aznSEguy IPB Image
brant
on the rear bar, do you need the shock bolts and all..?

I've got a complete one that would need new bushings but I've got the shock bolts tooo.....

brant
Bruce Allert
Did both on mine. Got lucky & found someone that had both. Make a world of difference. Also bought some 100# springs. That made it feel better too. Then came the lowering. Bilstiens with adj. spring perches were the ticket. Got me a car that is low, handles & makes me smile everytime I come out of a corner IPB Image

.....b
machina
Not that big a deal, relax.

I don't run a rear bar on my car.

The cut springs aren't a great idea but my hypercoil race springs don't touch the stops when they are uncompressed. Just tye-wrap the tops and the bottoms should fall in place.

Be glad you don't need a spring compressor IPB Image
rhodyguy
minor hijack. is that a triad header on your car?

kevin
skline
Another hijack, I like that shock setup, what is it? Inquiring minds want to know.
machina
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 25 2004, 10:49 AM)
Another hijack, I like that shock setup, what is it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Plain old single adj koni's with a threaded collar and race springs.

Nothing fancy but it works pretty well.
Mueller
can you measure the old springs?? I'm curious what the rating is on them now??

I'm still undecided on the rear swaybar...my car has one, and it handles great but it does tend to cause the wheels to lose traction easier...I do have crappy tires right now so we'll see how it reacts when I put on my new tires...
campbellcj
I actually just reinstalled my (Weltmeister) rear swaybar as it should flatten the car a bit more (already quite stiff) and let the tires do their thing, plus will give me more adjustability. Previously before the LSD and suspension rebuild I yanked it due to scary unweighting/traction loss. I haven't test driven long enough to see how it really works now, but it felt pretty good on my quickie drive last weekend.
dlo914
hmm...curious about how long it usually takes for a spring to settle in...before with the cut springs the car at the rear was riding at about mid-tire (p195/60/15s....i know im not gonna get that same ride height but what's a good estimated time for the springs to finally settle in?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.