Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front T/S Lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
ive got a set of glass front turn signal lenses that came with the car...today i took a glance at them and decided i had to get rid of them and get a nice stock set. SO...the question now is what types are there? ive seen the ones that are 3/4 orange and 1/4 white...what else is there? and if someone has a clean set (any kind) lying around PM or email me with a pic and price...thanks - Dan....O AND MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
skline
There are 3 different styles that I know of, the US which are all amber, the euro style which are the amber and clear and the Italian which are all clear. I had a set of the Italian ones but gave them away to Boboli914 a long time ago. I only have a set of stock ones now and I am not going to get rid of any more parts till I find out what I need for a new fixer upper that I may pickup.
dlo914
are the Italian ones made of glass? mines oddly are made of glass and are smaller in size compared to the plastic ones...
neo914-6
If you are "getting rid" of them, I'll take them. I'll even pay for them! IPB Image
Merry Xmas!
Felix
DJsRepS
Were these glass ones hand made? Ive never seen or heard of real glass OEM ones.
DJsRepS
Hey how about a Pic??
Aaron Cox
Dlo.... i saw the ones on your car, a P.O. addition... IPB Image
dlo914
IPB Image IPB Image yea they're horrible but it'll take a few pictures with my phone-cam IPB Image
dlo914
here's four angles of the glass lens....i'll be back later in the day to post more or Q/A..
East coaster
What the hell are those???? They look like someone adapted lenses from something else??
SirAndy
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 25 2004, 12:35 AM)
There are 3 different styles that I know of, the US which are all amber, the euro style which are the amber and clear and the Italian which are all clear.

actually, there were 4 styles IPB Image

#4:
SirAndy
nuther:
sixnotfour
Andy those are cool, Do you have them ? Does anybody Know this guy?

http://www.claussstudios.com/id18.html

He has 914 clear tailights, foglight grills , side marker lights.
Jeff
rhodyguy
dj, those fuel line clamps are no good. get the correct ones.

kevin
Carrera916
WTF!!?

From the look at the picture, it seems to me the PO must have used the VW Beetle turnsignal units!....look at the base and the bulb socket locations....very much like the Beetle, huh?

j
Carrera916
I had to look at it again......

jeez, it' getting a bit closer to 356 rear tail light units! they must have removed the "dividing wall" that separates the brake & running lights....

Whatta ya think?

j
dlo914
there's no sign of a "dividing wall".... IPB Image
dlo914
other than the POS lenses ive got does any know where i could get a set of aftermarket Italian lenses, or maybe a used set of all amber lenses? better yet any set of lenses would be better than the ones ive got... IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Dec 25 2004, 11:19 PM)
there's no sign of a "dividing wall".... IPB Image

looks like you'll need complete new housings as well, those don't look stock.
stock lenses won't fit !

IPB Image Andy
dlo914
the housing itself is stock...the PO made something out of sheet metal, sprayed it black, and called it a frame around the lens to compensate for the smaller than stock lenses...but yea other than that i really want a set of stock lenses any kind will do IPB Image purdy purdy pleassssssssseeeee IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
boxstr
Daniel I have set of used full amber lenses. If you want them PM me and I will get your address.
CCLINDAMPCAMP
tracks914
Or you can get this set on ebay.Front Signal Lights
dlo914
QUOTE (tracks914 @ Dec 26 2004, 01:57 PM)

$50 some dollars BLASPHEMY what do you take me for? a 911 owner? haha IPB Image
Brando
rofl ^

Since we're on the subject of turn signal lenses... Who/Where do i contact about the all white front turn signal lenses? Anyone have a set they want to sell/trade for reasonable price? My amber ones are in good shape, but when I get the car re-painted a darker metallic blue, I think the white lenses would stand out and look better.
dlo914
same question as above except for the darker metallic blue paint / yellow in this case IPB Image where would i be able to obtain a clear set of lenses?
retrotech
Make it 3 pair.
Me too, lighter, Adratic Blue
dlo914
we NEED a group order IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
dlo914
since im here on the topic of buying something small for the 14, id like to know if those infamous 914world.com stickers are still available? if so, who do i contact for a few? thanks - Dan
boxstr
Kevin, wakeup...
CCLINSOMINEX
dlo914
kevin aye? IPB Image hmm... IPB Image WAKE UP!!! IPB Image
scotty914
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Dec 26 2004, 04:08 PM)

why it is blasphemy to pay 50 bucks for something that pp sells for 40 each, right now it is at 59 which is still a saving of 20 per pair

i have heard you can soak the yellow ones in desiel ( sp wrong ) to make em clear

i could copy em in any color for about 20 a lens but would need to sell about 5 lens to break even
Mueller
I thought the amber/white are the ones that you can strip the amber off?? I've never tried it, I think the all white lens does not look good...I guess I like the contrast of the amber color IPB Image
dlo914
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Dec 26 2004, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Dec 26 2004, 04:08 PM)

why it is blasphemy to pay 50 bucks for something that pp sells for 40 each, right now it is at 59 which is still a saving of 20 per pair

i have heard you can soak the yellow ones in desiel ( sp wrong ) to make em clear

i could copy em in any color for about 20 a lens but would need to sell about 5 lens to break even

b/c i found them for lower than half the price they're going for on Evil Bay? IPB Image
sixnotfour
Typical , you have shit ones on your car , dont want to spend any money ,and you want white
ones. Where do you sign up. I would like some too. IPB Image
Gint
QUOTE (]sixnotfour Posted: Dec 25 2004 @ 10:36 PM)
Andy those are cool, Do you have them ? Does anybody Know this guy?

http://www.claussstudios.com/id18.html

He has 914 clear tailights, foglight grills , side marker lights.
Jeff

We've got some members sleeping at the switch today (yesterday). After looking at this web site, the pictures he has of clear 914 tail light lenses look familiar. Wasn't this guy on the board here at one time? I remember a few threads about it and that picture looks VERY familiar. Web site says he does repro plastic and rubber too. Even has a picture of a 914 fog light grill.

Are you out there?!?!
boxstr
That was the same person on this site for awhile. I guess he found a better gig somewhere else.
One of the things I remember about his tailight lenses was the bolt used to secure them in the housing where visible from the outside. I am not sure if you can see it in the clausstudio website pics or not. But I know the pics posted here they were very evident.
CCLINMONDAYAPRESXMAS
Root_Werks
IPB Image Yep, same guy. I even called him once to ask what the scoop was on the tail lights. He said he wasn't going to produce any sets for a long while. He wasn't happy with the quality of the current ones. he also said he didn't have any plans on getting rid of the little allen heads. Sounds like he has sort of gotten out of it all together now? Dunno? IPB Image
neo914-6
I emailed scott thacher about reproducing rear lenses and he said they were easy even without the external screw, just required the originals to make a mold. I didn't want to front the costs but since there is so much interest, maybe we can organize a group buy and amortize the tooling. See this thread: can build parts
Felix
Kargeek
I have a new set of new factory clear front turn lenses...if anyone is interested. I'll throw in the amber bulbs too. $50.00 for the set. Dave H
dlo914
got any pictures? IPB Image
boxstr
Daniel these are the amber lenses.
CCLINKODAKMOMENT
Brando
QUOTE (Kargeek @ Dec 27 2004, 10:47 AM)
I have a new set of new factory clear front turn lenses...if anyone is interested. I'll throw in the amber bulbs too. $50.00 for the set. Dave H

Poo. Food, or turn signal lenses? Food... lenses... food... lenses...

I hate to say it, but i chose food.

IPB Image
scotty914
QUOTE (Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Dec 27 2004, 10:34 AM)
I emailed scott thacher about reproducing rear lenses and he said they were easy even without the external screw, just required the originals to make a mold. Felix

i dont need other people to pay for the molds and stuff but i would need enough people who want to make it worth it. basicly the way i price things like this are the first five sets cover the start up costs. for some thing like rear lenes the molds would be about 50 bucks per side, so 100 for molds. then about 20 bucks per lens for material or 40 a set. so the works out to 300 my cost to do 5 sets. now we take in to thought about the 2 sets that have flaws that can not be sold, theres another 80 bucks down the drain. total now is 380. then to get the materials to my house you add in shipping of about 20. now we are up to 400 bucks and 20 to 30 hours of work.

at five sets i am out my time, unless i charge 150 per set ( or something like that ) then we figure that 5 sets at 150 each set is 750 bucks minus 400 start up, leaves me 350 for about 20 to 30 hours of work. who here makes 10 to 12 bucks an hour. now after the initial run of 5 i would make 110 per set at one hour time involved which is not bad.

now if some one else wanted to pay for the molds i would do it for them but i retain the molds forever and still sell then to them at that price and they can mark them up. i would only do the the parts for them until they released em.

this sounds like it sucks for the money guy, but look at it this way if he markes them up to 200 a set, he makes 50 a set, and after 8 sets he breaks even, and then it all money for basicly nothing after that

sorry for this being so long but i have received a few emails and pm's regarding making stuff, that i wanted all those people to see my point of veiw

and doing all clear lenses is 3 steps less that red/white ones. because i dont need 2 different molds per lens, unless i just paint em ( no way )

if you all want we can do a group buy thing here, ever body send one person 150 bucks, that person send me 400 to make up the molds and first run, which as they get shipped i get the rest of the money from each person through the money holder. if i go away and everybody's ( lets say 10 people ) only out 40 bucks, but i refuse to do a prepurchase order where i get all the money up front, just so people dont start saying i ripped them off when something takes alittle longer than i/we thought

oh and i have a set of lenses for the masters
scotty914
and anybody who doubts what the maertial costs are go to smoothon.com web site

clear resin is 150 per gallon
silicone mold material is 140 a gallon ( about a 1/2 gallon per mold 2 needed
Mueller
Scott,

Risky business.....you've got to fight people being cheap and picky.....without people seeing the product up front, you are setting yourself up for folks to wiggle out of purchasing if they changed thier mind or whatever just by saying that they look different that what they expected..I'm all for new products and you doing something to help out, but I don't want to see you get burned at the same time.....
dlo914
QUOTE (boxstr @ Dec 27 2004, 05:53 PM)
Daniel these are the amber lenses.
CCLINKODAKMOMENT

sweet i'll take'em IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.