Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thinking about a 3.6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jgilliam914
I have read and heard that the Varioram has clearance issues. where does it hit and does anyone have a photo of one installed?
siverson
Lots of cutting required for varioram, no cutting needed for non-varioram:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=17124

-Steve
Jgilliam914
Well that answers that! I never thought it would be higher than the rear deck or engine lid. I figured it would be through the panels in the trunk from the engine bay.
Thanks
PRS914-6
I would consider a 1995 3.6. It has numerous advantages. It's OBDI so no need for special programming, it is the first year with hydraulic lifters and you will REALLY appreciate that. It's also one of the last and most refined of the air cooled engines

As mentioned before, it fits under the hood with a few modifications. You can go through the Excellence articles I wrote and it covers most of the mods.

You MUST install an oil cooler so that adds some money.

Worth the work, it's big fun!
Jgilliam914
1995 3.6's are getting tougher to find that are not higher mileage but the Variorams seem to be more plentiful at the moment. I do not want to cut into the outer shell of the car so the Varioram is out of the mix. Is back dating to a OBD1 and 95 injection a possibility? Would a 993 owner get the benefit of a trade?
mepstein
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Nov 17 2013, 08:28 PM) *

1995 3.6's are getting tougher to find that are not higher mileage but the Variorams seem to be more plentiful at the moment. I do not want to cut into the outer shell of the car so the Varioram is out of the mix. Is back dating to a OBD1 and 95 injection a possibility? Would a 993 owner get the benefit of a trade?

Backdating is possible and you can make some $ selling the variorum parts
pcar916
I chose the '95 engine in '98 because it doesn't have the extra security computer/circuitry to deal with. It was one less thing to figure out.

Of course the extra horsepower would always be pleasant. piratenanner.gif

Good luck
mrbubblehead
i am looking at a 3.6 also.... im considering a long block and a set of pmo's. or a long block and the clewett itb kit. or a 95 without the varioram.

i will be watching this thread.
I'm dreaming of a VRAM in a teener. I just need to save some more recycling $ and sell some parts that I've collected over the years to fund this. Since I'm looking to convert,I'm not concern with cutting the trunk a bit. Just saving $$$ to send my 96 to Steve Weiner @ Rennsport in Portland to refresh to RS specs..

Paul S has compile a really fantastic one that I would love to emulate.
Jgilliam914
So if I pick up a 96-98 vario ram n swap say either the PMO carbs or MFI would the stock distributors work or would I have to swap that out as well?
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Nov 21 2013, 07:43 AM) *

So if I pick up a 96-98 vario ram n swap say either the PMO carbs or MFI would the stock distributors work or would I have to swap that out as well?

I'm not sure what your referring too as stock distributor..on the OEM 3.6?
If so, your correct in that you can use them but will need a trigger to get them to fire. They are twin plug. Depending who you rely on with advice, you can reach out to Steve Weiner @ Rennsport in Portland and or Jim Patrick @ Patrick Motor sports in Phoenix . I'm sure Paul and of John that has walked this path with big smiles every time they drive their cars can also answer this too. Good luck with your journey.
Jgilliam914
I figured the DME ran the spark so if you eliminated that the spark had to come from somewhere. I found the XDI system at Clewett Engineering anyone have any experience with this?
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Nov 21 2013, 08:12 AM) *

I figured the DME ran the spark so if you eliminated that the spark had to come from somewhere. I found the XDI system at Clewett Engineering anyone have any experience with this?

Oh yes, XDI....You can ask Richard Clewett. He's local too me and has help me in the past. Great person to work too. He will know...call him and he will spend time with you.
Ps, the XDI replaced the HP1 system. I've had the HP1 system for years....no issues and or concerns.
Not sure what your going to use for tranny...if you use the 901, you have better build it with all the upgraded parts or it may not last...I would go 915 to start with.
Jgilliam914
I do have a fresh race prepared LSD . I will start with that but I do have my eye out for a similar 915 that I know will eventually go in
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Nov 21 2013, 08:50 AM) *

I do have a fresh race prepared LSD . I will start with that but I do have my eye out for a similar 915 that I know will eventually go in

Race fresh, great. What's the locking factor? My 915 is set up @ 80% with Guard LSD friction disks.
Jgilliam914
Great question! Fact is I have no idea. I have paperwork on it somewhere. I bought it almost 10 years ago and have moved 2 times since then. But I hope one day to find it headbang.gif
pcar916
My GT LSD is set up 60/40.
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 21 2013, 09:48 AM) *

My GT LSD is set up 60/40.

60/40 is a great combo, I have OEM ZF and I only have it set on one setting.
Ps, by the time I invested in upgrading all the internals , I could have bought a new Guard LSD for a few $$ more. Oh well..that life.
pcar916
I've been impressed with this LSD. I take it apart every year or so and check the wear. If I ever commit this car to a track-only machine, I can rotate the internal cluster 90 degees and immediately have an 80/20 diff. The 914 transaxle has been reliable so far... one broken R&P since 1994.

Almost OT, but mine's a 3.6 so it speaks to that equipment.
JmuRiz
Is it possible to flip the intake on this model? It's possible with other intake manifolds...

Someone give me one and I'll figure it out biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.