Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEWB intro and some questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2mAn
Hello everyone. Name is Simon. Ive been a Porsche fan for a long time. I'm not quite financially ready for a 911, and always had a weird love for the 914.I've always owned German cars, mostly pre93 watercooled VWs and a couple of BMWs. I get wild ideas and try to do as much research before I get too deep into it. Without going into too much detail about the next wild idea, I'll give some simple details and ask some questions from the experts, or at least those who pretend to be experts! confused24.gif

Found a rolling chassis on the LA Craigslist.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4191354512.html

Ad states it has rust and he wasnt lying. There was some behind the seat. There was some more under the taillight and across the pan that goes across the trunk under the taillights. Im not too worried about that. I know wire wheeling the paint will reveal more than the few holes I saw, but Im more concerned about the floorpans. Are replacement panels available or what is the typical plan of attack? sawzall-smiley.gif Also, the current "owner" doesn't know much about 914s so when I asked him about the hell hole, he had no idea what or where it was. It was disappointing because I dont know where it is either! slap.gif

Ok, enough from me. Time for some pics...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

run and hide??
wndsnd
Run

welcome.png
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 17 2013, 08:02 PM) *

Run

welcome.png

agree.gif

You live in California. You can find a much nice 914 than that! Sure it will cost more than $800 but will be cheaper than fixing that one in the Craiglist ad.

welcome.png
rick 918-S
Spend a little more money and find a better car to start with. Your in California. You guys have rust too but that looks like it was imported from the rust belt here in the Midwest. welcome.png
Mikey914
RUN FAST.
Even if it was free, you would drop a ton of dough into it, and it's not that nice to start out with.
2mAn
Ok, well the search continues.... Next NEWB question is about the transmissions. Ive read something about two different styles and also that the 901 gets really hot when it has to deal with more than 200bhp. Any insight on this?
ConeDodger
welcome.png I've always had a wierd love for the 914 as well,but I did my time, my community service, and paid my fine... blink.gif

That battery tray was repaired once before. Poorly. dry.gif
ConeDodger
By the way, go to the 914 info tab at the top of the page, the members vin numbers and add yours. It's not in there... rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(2mAn @ Nov 17 2013, 05:48 PM) *
the 901 gets really hot when it has to deal with more than 200bhp. Any insight on this?

Yes, i have some insights on this. I call BS biggrin.gif

Follow my conversion link in my signature.
driving.gif

welcome.png
jimkelly
good for you for asking, BEFORE, you made the purchase.

even better for, RUNNING, at everyone's advice.

here are some more areas you need to inspect closely.

metal repair can cost $5000 in the blink of an eye, get as rust free as you can.

euro911
Yeah, the Craigslist car is more work than you want - unless you're either a masochist or have more time and money to burn while you learn. You'll get part way into it and realize how much time and money you've lost and how much more it will need, then lose interest pretty quickly afterwards.

Good pix, Jim, but maybe too narrow focus for a 'newbie'.

The 'hell hole' lives in the passenger side, below the battery tray, where the integral 'frame' rail slopes down towards the firewall.

Click to view attachment

Here's a pic showing a recent repair (from a different angle) by another member

Click to view attachment

Further down, where the rail(s) turn into horizontal runs is known as the 'longitudinals' (or 'longs'). Rust creeps down from the hell hole and into the longs. If real bad, the car will fold in half right about there.

Keep looking at threads related to purchasing and rust repair to familiarize yourself a little more before you attempt to buy one shades.gif
2mAn
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 17 2013, 09:00 PM) *

Further down, where the rail(s) turn into horizontal runs is known as the 'longitudinals' (or 'longs'). Rust creeps down from the hell hole and into the longs. If real bad, the car will fold in half right about there.

thank you for the pics and the explanation! I just saw that thread about the hell hole repair with the pic you attached.

I found another car which seems reasonable. It has some work done already that I plan on doing so I would be saving money and time. The engine isnt my cup so I sent him a message asking about selling without the engine, no response yet. I might just have to buy it as-is and pull and sell the motor. I wonder how much the motor is worth???

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4196079862.html

thoughts? I was hoping he was a member on here, but I didnt see it in the classifieds
euro911
13B, Mazda Rotary smile.gif ... 917 trans drooley.gif

5-lug suspension with real Fuchs, nice aktion035.gif

If the hell hole and longs are good, grab it. There are a few guys out here with 13B transplants that might want to buy the engine. I have no idea of it's value, but some one will pop in with info (Robert? ... Ted?) confused24.gif

Go look at it and report back!
PanelBilly
That car looks like you could get $2000 back in parts even if its too rusty to use as a driver.
2mAn
I wont be able to go until the weekend, but that gives me time to do my HW. It does look like it has some rare parts on it, but I like the overall look of the car. I plan on installing a watercooled VW motor, so the fact that it has a radiator already done is something I like. I have to do my research on the transmission, sounds like it can handle some power. He hasnt mentioned rust, so my fingers are crossed on that one. Not sure why he wants to sell it to someone who wants to race it, but my 914 will be a second/ track car anyways.

couple questions:

what should I look for as far as the 911 brake conversion goes?
how can I tell if they are real Fuchs?

are the blinkers euro parts? I thought I read somewhere that the amber in the taillights and the clear up front in the blinkers was a euro part
Spoke
welcome.png

Looks like the blinkers are Euro.

The Fuchs wheels will have markings on the back of them in the webbing.

Couple of questions:
1) What is your budget? There are nice 914s out there for +$4k out there.
2) What is your goal of the new car? Drive it? Work on it for months w/o driving it?

The main thing to look for in the 914 is rust. After that, look for rust. Then when you're done looking, look for more rust.

Engines, transmissions and suspensions can be changed.

Also get someone on this site to go with you to look at the car. It always helps to have a knowledgeable eye looking at the car.

Good luck.
2mAn
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 18 2013, 05:09 PM) *

welcome.png

Looks like the blinkers are Euro.

The Fuchs wheels will have markings on the back of them in the webbing.

Couple of questions:
1) What is your budget? There are nice 914s out there for +$4k out there.
2) What is your goal of the new car? Drive it? Work on it for months w/o driving it?

The main thing to look for in the 914 is rust. After that, look for rust. Then when you're done looking, look for more rust.

Engines, transmissions and suspensions can be changed.

Also get someone on this site to go with you to look at the car. It always helps to have a knowledgeable eye looking at the car.

Good luck.

So, should I look for rust? poke.gif

Im trying to start fairly inexpensive (hopefully less than 2k). I'd prefer a somewhat complete roller as I intend to install a motor thats in my garage. I was sent a PM by a board member that I am waiting for pics and more details. I mostly want something thats not totally original as I like to modify things and dont want to ruin a "purist" car. I want to molest it without being crucified!! sheeplove.gif

I have an E30 that will be my daily driver once the new engine is done being built and this is the one I want to play with slowly.The 914 will probably be non-op'd after a little while when I start to do my motor swap, unless its a rolling chassis in which case, it will already be non-op'd until I am done with it.
Andyrew
That rotary is a great buy. Pick it up (Offer him 1800, as Im sure he'll take it).

Its NOT a 917 transmission. However if its a 915 (later 911 transmission) then thats worth the price of the car.

The only thing that concerns me is he says its a race car and not a driver. SO I have concerns about the title not being up to snuff. Make sure the registration is up to date and you can legally purchase it.

Also, ask him if it overheats as Im sure it does(Probably the racecar comment). It will need a new radiator system at some point as that one has flaws.

Again, Lots of good parts on that car and its worth a start. 2k is a steal.
Andyrew
If you cant find someone to go with you to look at the car then PM me and I'll give you my email and cell so you can call me when your looking at the car and send me pics. At this point unless its got really really crappy stuff and back tags on it its worth the asking price.
euro911
Who know what the guy stuffed in there ... could be a gold mine. confused24.gif

This is what a 917 transmission looks like

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
2mAn
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 19 2013, 12:50 AM) *

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif

euro, do you want to join me? You're relatively close... Ive sent him a second email now asking for some more info. Still no response.
euro911
QUOTE(2mAn @ Nov 19 2013, 10:19 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 19 2013, 12:50 AM) *

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
euro, do you want to join me? You're relatively close... Ive sent him a second email now asking for some more info. Still no response.
Yeah, I'm game.
Shoot me your contact info in a PM
2mAn
Mark, I sent you a PM. Not sure if the guy will get back to me, but Im going to send him another message. A member here sent me an offer for his car, and I might take it up. It seems like the one he sent me was meant to be. Long story...

Also, added the VIN of the red car to the VIN database! smile.gif

edit: found this article and its a great source of aerodynamics info!
http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/a...aids/index.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.