Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a 914 wheel size ET and tire chart
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
People throw tire and wheel sizes around but they usually dont show offset.

Does anyone know where I can find a dependable chart.
jimkelly
see this
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=wheel+chart

and this
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/WheelWts.html

I love narrow body 5 lug cars wub.gif
wndsnd
Good Reading.

Thanks Jim.

I am looking for that chart that is mentioned. If you happen to run upon it.

Thanks
wndsnd
The Rennlist chart is good, but does it always apply to 914's or just 911's?

Also would be nice to see tire sizes fitted without fender rolling, bending, etc.

GeorgeRud
Seems there was enough variation from car to car and tire brand to tire brand that you really need to treat each application individually.
scott_in_nh
John if the weather holds I can bring the car down and swap some tires around if you want to see how Mahles with 195/65's fit.

You could also borrow my steelies if you just need to get it on the road without paint burning tire rub. The tires on them are a little old, but I put 2k on them without any issues.
Dave_Darling
There were only three sizes of wheels fitted to 914s originally, if you don't count the relative handful of M471 cars. There were 4.5"x15" (early "standard" steelies), 5.5"x14" (914-6 Fuchs only), and 5.5"x15" (all the rest). Offsets were pretty much the same in all of the 5.5"-wide wheels.

Since few people care about the 4.5" wheels, your 914 wheel offset chart would be pretty boring.

That said, I don't remember the offset numbers. I do know that the backspacing for the 5.5" wheels is just about 5", though.

The cars themselves have some variance, and the rear fender where the clearance is tightest can either be the left or the right--but it's always a rear fender. Most cars can fit 205s on the stock 5.5" wheels, but in some cases 195 is the limit. Wider wheels cause more problems than narrower ones; it is very difficult to fit 205s on 7" wheels under completely unmodified fenders.

--DD
jimkelly
fwiw
my 4 lug 15" sport steel have a 4.25 backspace
I assumed this was about ideal for backspace
I thought 4 lug fuchs were about 4.5 ??
jim
wndsnd
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Nov 18 2013, 09:47 AM) *

John if the weather holds I can bring the car down and swap some tires around if you want to see how Mahles with 195/65's fit.

You could also borrow my steelies if you just need to get it on the road without paint burning tire rub. The tires on them are a little old, but I put 2k on them without any issues.

Thanks Scott,

It is on the road. Got the plates this morning.

Drove it up to Exeter and around a bit. The car is a lot stiffer than I expected. I want you to drive it and tell me what you think..

The 195's that are on there were rubbing on one side, but since I made an adjustment to the camber I think that has reduced to just banging when the suspension hits bumps. But that is not frequent becuase everything is so stiff. I guess I expected the Bilsteins to be a little softer? But at this point stiff is good until I get the suspension sorted.

I think I am going to go to 185's, and maybe different wheels.

Right rear bearing is squealing and that pisses me off becuase I replaced it.. It was consistant at first, but now only in right hand turns. I am praying it will go away, but I know that it will have to get replaced again. Checked the brake discs and hub and there is no heat, which makes be think it is the bearing. Unless it is tire rub, but I have never equated that with a squeal.

Picked up Al Romano and he helped me bleed the brakes once again, and now they feel good.

The throttle is still not going back to an idle.

Al gave me some pointers on adjusting the drop links and hex bar side play. The side play was affecting idle as well but now I might have it too tight.

Contact me if you think you are coming to the area. I need good sugestions and advice.

John
wndsnd
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 18 2013, 10:46 AM) *

There were only three sizes of wheels fitted to 914s originally, if you don't count the relative handful of M471 cars. There were 4.5"x15" (early "standard" steelies), 5.5"x14" (914-6 Fuchs only), and 5.5"x15" (all the rest). Offsets were pretty much the same in all of the 5.5"-wide wheels.

Since few people care about the 4.5" wheels, your 914 wheel offset chart would be pretty boring.

But offset changes between 15, 16, and 17's and also between widths?

That said, I don't remember the offset numbers. I do know that the backspacing for the 5.5" wheels is just about 5", though.

The cars themselves have some variance, and the rear fender where the clearance is tightest can either be the left or the right--but it's always a rear fender. Most cars can fit 205s on the stock 5.5" wheels, but in some cases 195 is the limit. Wider wheels cause more problems than narrower ones; it is very difficult to fit 205s on 7" wheels under completely unmodified fenders.

--DD

I am not even contemplating 195's anymore. I think I am going to 185"s, but I need to pick a wheel. I am unsure what the offset is on the EMPI's I purchased from the net, but supposedly they came off a 914. Maybe he had rub too... Don't know. But with the 195's I have less that 1/8 " and I have overinflated the tires, and induced as much camber as the car will allow to get the tires off the fender.
wndsnd
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 18 2013, 09:10 AM) *

Seems there was enough variation from car to car and tire brand to tire brand that you really need to treat each application individually.

This I am sure is correct especially with me having removed 1/2 that fender and the complete door jam to get to the hell hole for repair.

Who knows what might be off, I am too tired to measure everything yellowsleep[1].gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 18 2013, 05:22 AM) *

Good Reading.

Thanks Jim.

I am looking for that chart that is mentioned. If you happen to run upon it.

Thanks
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
seems that 185x70x15 will keep your speedo accurate.\

I like the way 60 look better but my V8 hates them : )

if I ever get a suby conversion on the road, i'm going 50.

http://www.914world.com/specs/tirecalc.php

jim
wndsnd
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 18 2013, 07:15 PM) *

seems that 185x70x15 will keep your speedo accurate.\

I like the way 60 look better but my V8 hates them : )

if I ever get a suby conversion on the road, i'm going 50.

http://www.914world.com/specs/tirecalc.php

jim

Got the console boot today. Very nice.

wndsnd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 18 2013, 07:22 PM) *

Thank you sir.....
scott_in_nh
I might be around this weekend John, I'll let you know.
Don't give up on the 195's, I bet you just have VW offset wheels that won't allow them to fit and my 195/65 on Mahles will not be an issue.

The stiff ride is odd as everyone seems to love the Bilsteins and you only have the 100lb. springs (I have Konis set on full soft and 165 lb. springs and think the ride is great)...
brant
Shocks don't make a car stiff.... Springs do. And the stiction from not TRTproperly installed bushings can really contribute to spring rate

The 7R wheel on the chart is basically perfect offset and the reason a real 7r will fit. Of course a real 7r is 1k per a wheel.

The 14 inch windmill that was stock on 6 cars was in my opinion used because it also has perfect offset. It is 2mm different than a 7r and a great fitment. It is also the cheapest fuch you can buy. It is also period correct. It will also give you a smoother ride as most tires available in 14 sizes have a taller sidewall. It also is a "deep" look wheel and cool looking. It does have down sizes. It is the least performance oriented due to the smaller diameter. Smaller width. And lack of tire selection.

All of the 5bolt Fuchs and cookie cutters have the same offset and will fit an undamaged stock car
mskala
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 19 2013, 12:19 PM) *

Shocks don't make a car stiff.... Springs do. And the stiction from not TRTproperly installed bushings can really contribute to spring rate

The 7R wheel on the chart is basically perfect offset and the reason a real 7r will fit. Of course a real 7r is 1k per a wheel.

The 14 inch windmill that was stock on 6 cars was in my opinion used because it also has perfect offset. It is 2mm different than a 7r and a great fitment. It is also the cheapest fuch you can buy. It is also period correct. It will also give you a smoother ride as most tires available in 14 sizes have a taller sidewall. It also is a "deep" look wheel and cool looking. It does have down sizes. It is the least performance oriented due to the smaller diameter. Smaller width. And lack of tire selection.

All of the 5bolt Fuchs and cookie cutters have the same offset and will fit an undamaged stock car

I am not aware of any 6x14" fuchs. There is 5.5x14" fuchs in other tables, offset is 41mm.

I don't agree that 49mm offset of 7R is perfect, or even very good. However, if you like that, any of the following should also be useful:
* 52mm, 6x15 phone dial
* 52mm, 7x15 phone dial
* 50mm, 6x16 early boxster

I believe the best offset is 35-40mm. Keep in mind that all cars are a bit different. Also camber you are using (particularly in rear) is important.
scott_in_nh

I understand the functional difference between springs and shocks, but a shock with too much compression dampening will make the ride harsh when hitting a bump.

One with too little rebound dampening could also be called harsh.

Some folks might call a harsh ride "stiff".

KYB wouldn't stand for "Kills Your Back" if they did not affect ride....

Your stiction theory sounds good as it addresses what I found "odd"
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 18 2013, 02:46 PM) *

But offset changes between 15, 16, and 17's and also between widths?

Offset does not necessarily change on different diameter wheels--the diameter has nothing to do with the offset.

If you have a wheel with the same backspacing but a different width, the offset will be different. Or if you have a wheel with the same offset and a different width, the backspacing will be different. That's because offset is measured from the center of the rim, and backspace measured from the inboard lip of the rim.

I am unsure what the offset is on the EMPI's I purchased from the net, but supposedly they came off a 914.

Since EMPIs are all aftermarket rims, measuring is the best idea. The Bug-offset ones will put the wheel very far out in the fender and it will tend to rub the outer fender with anything wider than a 165-width tire.

--DD
wndsnd
Ahh..... More to do....
r_towle
Your back spacing needs to be no more than 4 5/8th....
And if it's less, the wheel sits t farther.

wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 19 2013, 10:14 PM) *

The 6 x 15 I am looking at now have a 112 mm backspace or 4 13/32
DRPHIL914

I am in the process of doint the 5 lug conversion and bought a set of 14" fuchs from Luke M, that were original to the 914/6- came off of his.- Since when i bought my car it had 15" 8-spoke epmi's and i had/have 195/50's on it now, they do not rub-(i also have new springs and sport bilistein shocks), it is really tight and we did roll the fender lip, but that offset is different than the 14" fuchs going on there soon- i will be putting on 195/65's(14) as the offset is correct and will fit a bit better, also a little bit more sidewall, kind of a compromise between the stock tires which were 185/75 i believe. - i think if you get the Fuchs with correct off-set you will have no issue with the 195's., some guys have 205's on narrow body cars.

r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 19 2013, 11:54 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 19 2013, 10:14 PM) *

The 6 x 15 I am looking at now have a 112 mm backspace or 4 13/32

so,
4 5/8th back spacing is 117.475 MM

You are 5.475 mm away from stock. (sounds like a beetle offset, or in range of one of the beetle aftermarket wheels)
Those wheels will sit out towards the fender by about 5mm more than other wheels...
Pretty darn close.
With a 6 inch wheel and the right size tire, you should be fine.

If you like the wheel, buy them.
You may need to go to a decent small tire store that will work with you to try on some rubber...

ALL 914s are different
ALL 914s are different from one side to the other.

We have put 7 inch wheels on a narrow body non rolled fender car...they fit.

rich
wndsnd
Learning. Thanks.
wndsnd
Scott_In_NH came over today and we worked on my tire rub issue.

The conclusion is that the tire/wheel package I purchased off the internet has VW Back Space.

The Wheels are Empi GT-8's and it looks like they are only made in 15 X 5 1/2 and they have a 30MM Offset and spec a 4 3/8 back space.

The tires are Goodyear 195/60/R15's

We tried Scotts Mahle 5 1/2 J X 15 with an offset of 40mm. He is running 195/65/R15's and with that combo I literally added 1/2 and inch space to the fender.

Looks like Back Space is my friend and I will be doing a new wheel/tire package which is what I wanted to do but now there will be no guessing.

Thanks Once again Scott!
scott_in_nh
I'm glad I could help John - good to see you beerchug.gif

It is worth noting that John had that 1/2" even with my 195's being about 1/2" wider than his 195's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.