Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 in 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Daiberl
I could get a 3.6 from a 964 to replace the 2.2E I have in the -6 at the moment. I would run the 3.6 with carbs, currently I have a MFI on the 2.2. What would I need besides long block, plus the fan/alternator/shroud and distributor? Would all the other stuff like heat exchanges fit, could it easily be returned to the original engine? What size carbs?
- Juergen
brant
You need a front cooler
ConeDodger
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 18 2013, 07:36 AM) *

You need a front cooler

agree.gif The 3.6 doesn't have an on engine cooler so you need a cooler up front. None of that cheesy under the trunk shizit is going to work when you make that much heat. Check into what SirAndy did with his as he deals with a lot more heat than you will.

Why not run it with its EFI? Trying to stay with the original look?
Daiberl
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 18 2013, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 18 2013, 07:36 AM) *

You need a front cooler

agree.gif The 3.6 doesn't have an on engine cooler so you need a cooler up front. None of that cheesy under the trunk shizit is going to work when you make that much heat. Check into what SirAndy did with his as he deals with a lot more heat than you will.

Why not run it with its EFI? Trying to stay with the original look?

Trying to stay with the original look smile.gif I have a front oil cooler but it's a small one and it's in the front but not the one in the trunk so I would have to get a new one. If I would go with a 3.0 would the big oil cooler be needed?
Like others have said, 3.6 does not come with a cooler ...in place is an oil filter. If your going to rebuild it, you can have machine shop make the necessary mod to accept the usual cooler that's usually there. Good luck..I'm heading down the same path.
billh1963
You will also need $$ smile.gif

If it's an early 964 and the engine has not been resealed now would be the time
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 18 2013, 10:36 AM) *

You need a front cooler

Not really.
A pair of Setrab dual fan pack mufflers mounted under the rear trunk is sufficient.
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 18 2013, 11:26 AM) *

You need a front cooler

Not really.
A pair of Setrab dual fan pack mufflers mounted under the rear trunk is sufficient.

agree.gif This is what Rich Johnson told me as well
Daiberl
I don't plan to rebuild, the engine has 65,000 Miles and runs strong. If I would go with a Setrab dual fan pack and I don't plan on tracking the car (ok, maybe once or twice) can it be done without any irreversible modifications?
- Juergen
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Nov 18 2013, 12:17 PM) *

You need a front cooler

Not really.

agree.gif This is what Rich Johnson told me as well

agree.gif

For daily driving, i have to block off most of my front mounted cooler to even get the motor up to operating temp.
It's not even that cold here in mid-cal yet and i can't get the temps over 180 (which is where my thermostat opens). That is with 2/3 of the cooler already blocked off.

I'm actually thinking about blocking it off completely for the winter months.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=211602

driving.gif
pcar916

You need a front cooler

Not really.

We know what you meant. What size are the coolers to replace the Behr, and where are you getting the cool air from?

My front trunk cooler is shown below and is mostly enough. I also use an auxilliary cooler from a sandwich adapter at the engine filter for hot summer days at stoplights, and steamy track days. It's a summer thing, but no fans needed.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

bcheney
You can contact Patrick Motorsports out in Phoenix Arizona. They can provide everything you would need. Quality stuff at moderate prices. They have done a ton of 3.6 914 conversions and have many off the shelf parts they can get to you quickly. Good guys to talk to. I did a 2.2 conversion and they help me with an engine wiring harness that was beautifull and a hard oil line and aeroquip lines and fittings.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/packages/
East coaster
Modified engine tin, heat exchangers are likely too small a diameter tube for the 3.6, different flywheel, sooner or later a beefier trans and axles.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Nov 18 2013, 03:18 PM) *

I don't plan to rebuild, the engine has 65,000 Miles and runs strong. If I would go with a Setrab dual fan pack and I don't plan on tracking the car (ok, maybe once or twice) can it be done without any irreversible modifications?
- Juergen

A few bolt holes here and there is all the modifications needed.
The first pic was taken before the heat shield was installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 19 2013, 06:13 AM) *

- Juergen

Sweet looking set up piratenanner.gif
JmuRiz
Very fancy, that's like the setup Patrick did on a 3.6 skinny fender 914 in Excellence many moons ago.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 19 2013, 08:13 AM) *

- Juergen

What are the dimensions of the coolers?
Daiberl
QUOTE(East coaster @ Nov 19 2013, 04:07 AM) *

Modified engine tin, heat exchangers are likely too small a diameter tube for the 3.6, different flywheel, sooner or later a beefier trans and axles.

So you are saying that I have to get different heat exchangers as well as modifying the engine tin? What has to be modified and if I would run the original heat exchanger, would it work and if yes how much power would I loose because of the smaller diameter?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Nov 19 2013, 05:07 PM) *
So you are saying that I have to get different heat exchangers as well as modifying the engine tin?

Yes and yes ...

Straight from my conversion thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44700

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Daiberl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 19 2013, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Daiberl @ Nov 19 2013, 05:07 PM) *
So you are saying that I have to get different heat exchangers as well as modifying the engine tin?

Yes and yes ...

Straight from my conversion thread:

Wer lesen und suchen kann ist klar im Vorteil, danke biggrin.gif

Ok, then I think I will pass on a 3.6, I would like to keep the car as original as possible and here in the PNW I need heat.
brant
you still need bigger diameter headers for high flow or big displacement

I run larger diameter on a 2.0 for race purposes.....

you can buy billy boat or aftermarket heat exchangers that are bolt on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.