Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 Porsche 914-6 - First of the 3352 produced. Factory show car. Barn find with only 6,237 miles. Owned by Tony Samojen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
How's this for originality?! The VERY FIRST 914-6 to come off the production line, only 6,237 miles on it (when this picture was taken in 2011)! drooley.gif All OG, all matching numbers and found in a BARN! blink.gif
I guess this would be VIN 9140430011 w/ engine 901.36 640 0001? Going to post this in the Originality section! Thought this was pretty cool and wanted to share. beerchug.gif

Hey Tony, if you're here, smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Here's where I came across it. Page 5: http://www.sportscardigest.com/porsche-rac...otos/?nggpage=5

Porsche Race Car Classic 2011
The inaugural Porsche Race Car Classic was held Sunday, October 16, 2011 on the grounds of the Quail Lodge in Carmel, California. The Porsche Race Car Classic 2011 honored Porsche cars from 1950-1965 and included purpose-built race cars and production cars with significant race history during that period. They were arranged in 18 groups, with each representing another step in Porsche’s march to the top ranks of the racing world. From Gmünd coupes to the 911–and everything in between–the show field at the Porsche Race Car Classic displayed a wonderful array of the finest examples from the German automaker. Among the highlighted cars were the following:

- Pair of Porsche Typ 540 Aluminum Sport Roadsters
- 1960 Porsche RS60 that was the overall winner at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1960 at the hands of Hans Herrmann and Olivier Gendebien
- Porsche 718 Formula 2 and 804 Formula 1, both from the Porsche Museum
- 1960 Porsche Carrera 2/2000GS GT Coupe from the Porsche Museum
- Both of the 1963 Porsche 2000GS Carrera 2 GT Dreikantschaber in existence
- Jerry Seinfeld’s 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.8 RSR
- Jerry Seinfeld’s 1960 Porsche-Abarth 356B Carrera GTL driven in 1963 by Gewrhard Koch to class wins at Targa Florio and Nurburgring
- 1961 Porsche-Abarth 356B Carrera GTL that place first in class at Le Mans, Sebring and Targa Florio
- 1969 Porsche 911 GT factory rally car
- Ex-Pete Lovely 1955 Porsche Cooper “Pooper” that Pete raced to five class wins and the F-Modified National Championship in 1955.
- First Porsche 914/6 factory show car with only 6,237 miles
- Prototype 911R that set world speed records at Monza driven by Jo Siffert, Rico Steinemann, Charles Vogele and Dieter Spoerry

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
You're only, what, 3 years, late? rolleyes.gif

He's a member here and it is in the VIN database ...
shades.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 18 2013, 10:27 PM) *

You're only, what, 3 years, late? rolleyes.gif

He's a member here and it is in the VIN database ...
shades.gif

Ah yes, but has he checked his CHT yet?
tumamilhem
HAHAHA good one, r towle!

Well, I wasn't aware. But thought it would be cool to share. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
Nice
toadman
I had not seen this before. Thanks for sharing.

I clicked on the link and took a look at the photos of the Porsche race cars. Absolutley incredible machines.
twash
QUOTE(toadman @ Nov 19 2013, 06:00 AM) *

I clicked on the link and took a look at the photos of the Porsche race cars. Absolutley incredible machines.

this 914-6 with its 2.0 ltr factory 914-6 gt engine is driven on the street and does attend different Porsche events in the so cal area, runs with the best of them. if we can get time to install the gt exhaust system and bring the engine to its full potential, its a little bit limited by the stock muffler exhaust flow, driving.gif hope to run the car on the portable dyno at wilhotts in long beach for the lit fest this winter.
gothspeed

+1 ... smile.gif
RFoulds
Would love to have him show it at the The Desert Classic Concours here in Palm Springs, February 2014.
tumamilhem
I'm surprised the Porsche Museum doesn't buy this car. Especially OG with 6 months worth of miles on it! To my knowledge, the only 914s in the museum are the quad headlighted 914-8 300bhp and a silver 1973 1.7. On display, anyway.

Interestingly enough, looking at the 916, the two that are in the States are here in FL. One was sent to Bumos from the factory and another resides here in FL. A guy I know married to a friend of mine was talking to me the other day about my two 914s and told me he had a 916 when they came out. I wonder if he acquired it from Brumos or if the other FL one changed hands to his at some point. I have a friend that has worked for Brumos for decades and is going to get me into their museum. I'm going to see if it's still there. Will also ask my mechanic Frank who was their chief Porsche mechanic and Service Manager then if he has knowledge about it. THAT would be one hell of a car to own! Especially since they didn't go into production or for sale to the general public! I would love to have a (proper) nicely done 916 conversion someday!
SirAndy
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Nov 19 2013, 11:51 AM) *
I'm surprised the Porsche Museum doesn't buy this car. ...

I'm not shades.gif

Nobody at Porsche likes the 914. The only reason they have two at the museum is because they were gifts to the Porsche family. And even those two spent most of their time in the basement collecting dust.

To Porsche, the 914 is the runaway stepchild that died of a drug overdose in the public bathroom at the train station.
And nobody showed up for the funeral.

rolleyes.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 19 2013, 02:58 PM) *

I'm surprised the Porsche Museum doesn't buy this car. ...

I'm not shades.gif

Nobody at Porsche likes the 914. The only reason they have two at the museum is because they were gifts to the Porsche family. And even those two spent most of their time in the basement collecting dust.

To Porsche, the 914 is the runaway stepchild that died of a drug overdose in the public bathroom at the train station.
And nobody showed up for the funeral.

rolleyes.gif

lol-2.gif
JFJ914
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Nov 19 2013, 02:51 PM) *

Interestingly enough, looking at the 916, the two that are in the States are here in FL. One was sent to Bumos from the factory and another resides here in FL. A guy I know married to a friend of mine was talking to me the other day about my two 914s and told me he had a 916 when they came out. I wonder if he acquired it from Brumos or if the other FL one changed hands to his at some point. I have a friend that has worked for Brumos for decades and is going to get me into their museum. I'm going to see if it's still there. Will also ask my mechanic Frank who was their chief Porsche mechanic and Service Manager then if he has knowledge about it. THAT would be one hell of a car to own! Especially since they didn't go into production or for sale to the general public! I would love to have a (proper) nicely done 916 conversion someday!

The Brumos car is at "914 World Headquaters" (Auto Atlanta) and is owned by George Hussey
tumamilhem
Maybe it was the other FL car then. I'm going to find out. Curious...
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 19 2013, 11:58 AM) *

Gee Andy, Tell us how you really feel. chair.gif
sbsix
Andy speaks the truth. When I had my 914-6 back in Chicago in the '90's I was driving down the main street in Naperville and a guy in a 911 pulled up next to me at a stop light and asked me what kind of car I was driving. I said "A Porsche 914-6" and he just looked at me and he still didn't have a clue.

I like being in a small group of people that know and recognize a 914, and can appreciate it for being a great sports car.
poorsche914
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Nov 19 2013, 03:09 PM) *
The Brumos car is at "914 World Headquaters" (Auto Atlanta) and is owned by George Hussey

George brought it to MUSR 11 when it was held in TN a few years ago. I road the Dragon and other mountain roads with George at the wheel.

Click to view attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vYG1AkTiU

driving.gif
carr914

I'm surprised the Porsche Museum doesn't buy this car. Especially OG with 6 months worth of miles on it! To my knowledge, the only 914s in the museum are the quad headlighted 914-8 300bhp and a silver 1973 1.7. On display, anyway.

Get with it - The Brumos car hasn't been here in many years and belongs to the Dark Side in Atlanta. There are 3 916s in the US, I don't know of any in Florida, except the Official Replica made at Porsche that I used to Drive!

Eric_Shea
QUOTE(twash @ Nov 19 2013, 08:42 AM) *

this 914-6 with its 2.0 ltr factory 914-6 gt engine is driven on the street and does attend different Porsche events in the so cal area, runs with the best of them. if we can get time to install the gt exhaust system and bring the engine to its full potential, its a little bit limited by the stock muffler exhaust flow, driving.gif hope to run the car on the portable dyno at wilhotts in long beach for the lit fest this winter.

Missed you last time we were in town. See you at the lit show.
twash

If I am correct Porsche 914-4 #1 production car is on display at Porsche museum
zambezi
If I am correct Porsche 914-4 #1 production car is on display at Porsche museum

I don't know about it being in the Porsche museum, but it was in the VW museum in Wolfsburg when I went to tour it in 1990.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
That's the 4. I was talking about the 6. And if that's a 69 (there were only a handful of them, most being prototype versions), then I'm guessing that one is VIN 914120? VIN 914114 also seems to be a prototype.
zambezi
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Nov 21 2013, 06:05 AM) *

That's the 4. I was talking about the 6. And if that's a 69 (there were only a handful of them, most being prototype versions), then I'm guessing that one is VIN 914120? VIN 914114 also seems to be a prototype.

I know its the 4, I was quoting twash. If you are guessing the vin of the 1969 - 4 that I posted, it is in the write-up I posted also, stating it is the 1st one produced. I am sure there were prototypes before it though, but numerically this one would be first of the line.
JIM
tumamilhem
Interestingly, if it came off the assembly line to go to a museum and didn't go to a dealer, it has a Porsche hood badge (and in the VW museum) and later style wheels.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Nov 21 2013, 04:05 AM) *
then I'm guessing that one is VIN 914120?

No. Please ...
914120 is a /6 sportomatic prototype and in private hands.
http://www.914world.com/specs/prototypes.php

The red car above supposedly is the first /4 production car and it's *not* in the Porsche museum and no one has been able to confirm the VIN on it.
popcorn[1].gif
zambezi
Andy,
Do you think VW had their facts wrong when they state that the VIN is 4702900001. Just asking because I personally saw the car (although did not have the foresight to verify the VIN). I wonder if the car is still on display. I am sure VW has redone their museum since I was there in 1990.
SirAndy
QUOTE(zambezi @ Nov 21 2013, 11:03 AM) *
Do you think VW had their facts wrong when they state that the VIN is 4702900001. Just asking because I personally saw the car (although did not have the foresight to verify the VIN). I wonder if the car is still on display. I am sure VW has redone their museum since I was there in 1990.

The car is still there as of last year. I just would like for someone to confirm the VIN.

There are a few details on that car that don't belong there but they could have been added later in its life.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.