Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Am I Getting Myself Into?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehokana
I'll be picking up a '73 2.0 next weekend- very rust free, factory fuchs, interior nearly perfect and all stock parts come with the car. The paint leaves a bit to be desired (cheap respray some years ago) and all rubber needs to be replaced, but overall, the perfect candidate for what I want to do.

Anyway, I know a lot of the guys on here have done restorations on their 914's and I'd like to see if I can get some advice and information on what I'm getting myself into. My first car was a '73 2.0 so I know a bit about the cars but I haven't had one in the garage for 7 or 8 years now, and I'm pretty out of the loop on the specifics of the 914's. This restoration is meant to be a father/son project for my dad and I, so I want to make sure this is not something that will be beyond us. My dad used to work quite a lot with old 280 Z's that he owned and I did much of the work on my 951, so wrenching isn't new for either of us, but neither of us have taken on a full restoration.

Is there anything that is especially difficult or takes specialty tools to do? Anything I should keep in mind before we start? How hard are parts to find at this point if something should be needed?

Thanks in advance guys
Elliot Cannon
welcome.png Be sure and post some pics of the car when you get it. Lots of 914 owners in your area.
ehokana
Thanks! I definitely will- hopefully I remember to take photos during the whole process too
billh1963
QUOTE(ehokana @ Nov 19 2013, 02:09 AM) *

I'll be picking up a '73 2.0 next weekend- very rust free, factory fuchs, interior nearly perfect and all stock parts come with the car. The paint leaves a bit to be desired (cheap respray some years ago) and all rubber needs to be replaced, but overall, the perfect candidate for what I want to do.

Anyway, I know a lot of the guys on here have done restorations on their 914's and I'd like to see if I can get some advice and information on what I'm getting myself into. My first car was a '73 2.0 so I know a bit about the cars but I haven't had one in the garage for 7 or 8 years now, and I'm pretty out of the loop on the specifics of the 914's. This restoration is meant to be a father/son project for my dad and I, so I want to make sure this is not something that will be beyond us. My dad used to work quite a lot with old 280 Z's that he owned and I did much of the work on my 951, so wrenching isn't new for either of us, but neither of us have taken on a full restoration.

Is there anything that is especially difficult or takes specialty tools to do? Anything I should keep in mind before we start? How hard are parts to find at this point if something should be needed?

Thanks in advance guys

Most parts are readily available including sheet metal, rubber seals, engine/transmission parts, etc....... and lots of FREE advice! biggrin.gif
porschefile2010
Yep, parts are available and if not new, used parts are readily available. For a resto your biggest challenge may be rust in unforeseen places and it's best to tackle that side of it first and get it right before you do anything else IMHO. Good luck. look forward to some pictures.
gothspeed
Doing a resto with 2 people should be a bit less difficult than with 1 person ...... don't ask me how I know ..... unsure.gif

welcome.png
wndsnd
welcome.png

Just fininished a ground up restoration by myself that took 2 1/2 years.

Couldn't have done it without the help here.

Also , I have met some great new friends.

Buy the tools you need, it will be cheaper in the long run than messing things up with the wrong.

Just because you buy new parts, doesn't mean you made the best choice.

Cars are basically simple but they do have their quirks. These will be identified and clarified by the World Brethren.

Having the help is a big deal.

John
Jeffs9146
Having done 3 restorations, one by my self and two with the help of a friend, I would say having help will keep you motivated and you will finish it way faster!

Pulling the motor and just jacking the car up takes two to three times longer when you are doing it by yourself! Having someone to hand you a tool so you don't have to stop and climb out from under the car will keep you from getting frusterated!

Good luck, have fun and take lots of photos!! beerchug.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Nov 19 2013, 03:09 PM) *

Having done 3 restorations, one by my self and two with the help of a friend, I would say having help will keep you motivated and you will finish it way faster!

Pulling the motor and just jacking the car up takes two to three times longer when you are doing it by yourself! Having someone to hand you a tool so you don't have to stop and climb out from under the car will keep you from getting frusterated!

Good luck, have fun and take lots of photos!! beerchug.gif

Amen .......
JoeSharp
I can't believe no one as used this yet.
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif welcome.png
toolguy
Biggest thing is make sure everything works BEFORE taking it apart. . It really sucks next year when you're assembling the car and suddenly something doesn't work and you can't remember if it even worked before your started. .

If something doesn't work and it's not a quick fix, note the issue and [possible you'll find the cause when you are cleaning up all the compenents. . Excellent example is once the electrical grounds are restored, some intermittent problems will start working better. .

90% of the reassembly is a no brainer. . but suddenly you're not sure what bolt is the pivot bolt for the hood or trunk. . . or how did the engine deck lid springs go. .
TAKE TONS OF PICTURES WHEN YOU'RE REMOVING COMPONENTS, particularly the cables for the heater and fresh air controls. . mark each cable .
I found I would scan my photos and look at different things in the background when I wasn't sure which nut or bolt went where. .
ehokana
Thanks a lot guys! I'll post some pics up this weekend when I pick up the car so you can all see the starting point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.