Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 years later
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Here in Wisconsin the winter is always around the corner. The weekend was warm and windy, but single digit temps later this week.

Which means I will be able to weld and wrench, but I cannot paint. So after replacing trunk, floor tunnel and firewall pieces and grinding the welds smooth and fixing the clutch tube and adding the RJ mount, I shot a coat of DP40 over the inside of the tub and the floor above and underneath. I discovered that painting upside down is less burnish than welding upside down. Actually I think it is DP-50 epoxy primer (grey). I generally try to put it on below anything else like bond or high build primer. All of the rust is gone and replaced with solid metal across the whole car.

So, I got that going for me.
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Nov 19 2013, 10:11 AM) *

Which means I will be able to weld and wrench, but I cannot paint.

I really want to finish it because a shiny car makes friends easy. Here is the little boy of a former grad student, now Professor. Unfortunately I still cannot decide on a color. Considered and finally rejected Ravenna Green. I want to avoid being hit, but I also want a Q-car type of approach. No flares, no 6 badge. Leaning towards Alaska Blue, but then I would have two blue cars and that seems repetitive.
Click to view attachment
wndsnd
QUOTE(worn @ Nov 19 2013, 01:11 PM) *

Here in Wisconsin the winter is always around the corner. The weekend was warm and windy, but single digit temps later this week.

Which means I will be able to weld and wrench, but I cannot paint. So after replacing trunk, floor tunnel and firewall pieces and grinding the welds smooth and fixing the clutch tube and adding the RJ mount, I shot a coat of DP40 over the inside of the tub and the floor above and underneath. I discovered that painting upside down is less burnish than welding upside down. Actually I think it is DP-50 epoxy primer (grey). I generally try to put it on below anything else like bond or high build primer. All of the rust is gone and replaced with solid metal across the whole car.

Good for you!
Getting to a solid car is a milestone.

I did all the welding on mine from the top and sides, then I knew I had to attack from the bottom. Getting under the car on stands with a welding helmet and torch proved to be too daunting for me. So I finally rented a truck to come over and I brought the roller to a friends shop where we put it up on a lift and did all the underneath stuff in a day. I called the tow truck again and had them pick it up and bring it to the paint shop at the end of the day. I was so excited, I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have and I got in an accident with my truck. Had to call the tow truck again, and brought my truck to the paint shop. So, the shop had the 914, and my truck, and the delivery guy made three hauls for me that day. The truck came out of the shop first. I guess insurance work is faster turn around and pays the bills. 914 came out of paint 90 days later. I was still happy. Wife not so.....

worn
[quote name='wndsnd' date='Nov 19 2013, 01:06 PM' post='1959198']
[

[/quote]

Good for you!
Getting to a solid car is a milestone.

I did all the welding on mine from the top and sides, then I knew I had to attack from the bottom. Getting under the car on stands with a welding helmet and torch proved to be too daunting for me. So I finally rented a truck to come over and I brought the roller to a friends shop where we put it up on a lift and did all the underneath stuff in a day. I called the tow truck again and had them pick it up and bring it to the paint shop at the end of the day. I was so excited, I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have and I got in an accident with my truck. Had to call the tow truck again, and brought my truck to the paint shop. So, the shop had the 914, and my truck, and the delivery guy made three hauls for me that day. The truck came out of the shop first. I guess insurance work is faster turn around and pays the bills. 914 came out of paint 90 days later. I was still happy. Wife not so.....
[/quote]

Wow. I bought my first porsche, a 911 , and was dissapointed to find the flat bed guy new the car after awhile. The 914 was incredibly solid. Minor collision damage, repaired by an expert. But then they let it sit in the rain...still i am psyched. I may have my color chosen too.
rick 918-S
Hey! what's wrong with Ravenna? happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

And: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
effutuo101
Flat black is a good choice!
I must have gone through 30 or 40 colors before deciding. Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.