Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you could disassemble your teener again, what would you do differently?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tilly74
We're moving which means it's crunch time project wise, and also I'm getting a new 2-car garage yahoo!! Long story short, disassembling allows me to take the car out to the shop now instead of moving it to the new place then moving it again to the shop.

Body work is what's happening out at the shop, so I need it as stripped as possible. Engine and Transmission are already out as well as seats, carpet, and dash. Mostly just small stuff left.

Also - It's officially going to be a Suby swap with Suby transmission and cable shift, so some stuff can get sold. Organization is one of my strong points....not. I have a few Rubbermaid tubs, and an entire old Tupperware collection for smaller things. So.....got any tips?

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tilly74 @ Nov 19 2013, 01:20 PM) *
So.....got any tips?

Take pictures of everything before you take it apart. Tons of pictures.

Because 3 years from now, when you finally get to the point to put her back together, you will have NO IDEA where all that stuff is supposed to go ...
shades.gif
Java2570
agree.gif take lots of photos and good notes....it sure would've helped me!
GaroldShaffer
Bag and tag EVERYTHING. Pictures Pictures Pictures and take great notes
boogie_man
Yes yes yes, the photos I took in the start are priceless now. By that I mean
the blower box area, where cables route and attach, wiring-wiring-wiring etc..

I would also purchase those stainless steel racks from Costco for approx 100.00
each as they can store your parts mapped and organized, they work great/have wheels....
VaccaRabite
brace the everliving shit out of my doors and longs before putting the car on the rotisserie for welding.

Zach
r_towle
I would dip the car, then open up the outer longs and rustproof that area first.
Put that back on and weld n the out long overlays.
Then you are good to go for another 40 years
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 19 2013, 08:48 PM) *

brace the everliving shit out of my doors and longs before putting the car on the rotisserie for welding.

Zach

agree.gif

And you would theoretically want to take the outer longs off first, then dip it. Otherwise the insulation tubes will be eaten up by the dip. I'd also get rid of every last bit of seam sealer/foam in the nooks and crannies. Unless you like rust bubbles in brand new paint a couple months down the road headbang.gif
bulitt
Drop it off at Scotty B's with a bag of cash!
PanelBilly
Reassemble unit assemblies as you remove them from the car. Might take up more room to store, but nothing tells the story better. I had problems with the electrical connections because my masking tape had fallen off and some of the writing had faded
Tilly74
Thanks for the advice. Lots of stuff I wouldn't have thought of.

I wish this were possible, but there's only one way that's happening...
QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 19 2013, 09:37 PM) *

Drop it off at Scotty B's with a bag of cash!

I've been keeping an eye out for a duffle bag left somewhere random for longer than I can remember. My hope is to find one full of cash, mid drug-transaction or something like that. Kind of like No Country For Old Men, but without the drama.
bulitt
Wiring, yes, label every wire and label every connection, then take pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.