Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tech tip for the day.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Okay boys and girls, you have a 74 1.8 914 with AFC stock fuel injection, and the car is running kind of poopie. What is the first thing you are going to check?? Thats right start the car and pull the plug wires to see which cylinder doe's not change the performance of the car at idle.
Okay you have one plug that is dead. What do you do next? Thats right you move the injector wires from front to the back injector to the one side that has the dead cylinder. Don't worry boys and girls they will reach.
Now you start the car again and see if you still have the same dead cylinder or if it changed with the injector wire swap.
If it did cahnge then what do you do next boys and girls.
Thats right you look at the long silver box under the battery. And what is that called boys and girls. Thats right the injector resistor relay pack.
When you take it off boys and girls it should not look like the one in the picture. All of the wires should be securely connected to the resistors.
What next boys and girls. Thats right, install a new or used one an dstart the car. Know your car should be running not poopie.
Good work.
CCLINTEACHERMODE
boxstr
Resistor pack installed and location on the car. This is the factory location.
CCLINTEACHERMODE
JeffBowlsby
ooh teacher teacher...call on me!

What if I don't have a new resistor pack, I heard I can just JB weld the wire back in place? That JB weld is gud stuf I here...
boxstr
Boys and girls, Mr. Bowlsby has a good point. If you are in a tight spot and do not have a new or a good used resistor pack, then you are more than welcome to JB weld the wire back to the resistor.
Say thank you Mr Bowlsby for that suggestion.
"THANK YOU MR BOWLSBY"
CCLINTEACHERSPET
JeffBowlsby
But Teechur, I asked about JB weld because sumwon told me it was gud stuf, but if weer taukin bout wires...woodnt sahderin be mo better...? IPB Image
boxstr
"Mr Bowlsby soldering will be Tech Tip for Feb. 28 2005. Know go stand in the corner and play with your JB Weld."
CCLINSTUDENTBODY
DJsRepS
As much as I like JBweld I think it would be about as effictive with that wire (no conductivity) as my mechinic friend that JB welded the broken bracket on his living room cieling fan. The blade sailing through the air and as if that was not enough for him he did it again. The seckond time it hit his aquarium. The fish are ok it did not break.........Let me ask you "Boys and Girls" what ever happened to the good old fashion soldering iron. And dont correct my spelling thats mine!
boxstr
Nothing at all wrong with the soldering(and that is the correct spelling) iron. I just happen to have extras that I can plug in. Mr Bowlsby suggested first the JB weld and then the soldering iron.
I will solder the broken wire back on the resistor and plug it back in to see if will work again.
CCLINFLUX
type47
this tech tip going to be a weekly thing? IPB Image
boxstr
Might be a good thing.
CCLINTECHTIPSTER
markb
QUOTE (boxstr @ Dec 26 2004, 04:47 PM)
Might be a good thing.

IPB Image
Bruce Allert
Craig, are you on your 3rd Gin & Tonic??? IPB Image

Oh IPB Image ... sorry, that was Jim IPB Image

IPB Image ...........b IPB Image
Brando
Tomorrow are you going to instruct us with 1.8 AFC engines on a new location to move the ballast resistors to for when our battery trays topple over and crush things? (Not speaking from experience IPB Image )
Joe Bob
Next week's tip....if you do plumbing....don't chew yer fingernails, and doodie runs down hill....
boxstr
For Brando. Today's tech tip continued. Here is an application to move the resistor pack to a safer location.
CCLINTECHTIME
Brando
yay! IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.