Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bearing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
When I started my parts whore binge, I diddnt know much about bearings other than Mahle was good...... Then I learned about reboxed junk from China, etc. I also diddnt know there was a uge difference in main bearings or that this was such a big issue.

When I pulled the main bearings I was impressed, and noticed that the split bearing was steel backed (as in the magnet stuck to it) but the other three did not. So......

I have two sets of main bearings, and I am not sure which to use. (well I have 3 but one is total china junk)

1. Brazilian Mahle
2. Silverline

Both sets look good, but the back of the silverline split bearing is definately steel, and the Mahle is not. I understand this is the bearing that takes most of the stress and there are benifits to the steel back, but I have heard that this is an essential thing.. I have however also heard that the quality of silverlines is not as good as the Brazilian Mahle.....

So, I know this is like the dreaded oil question, or carbs/FI, and hope that this doesnt go down that road, but I'd appreciate your feedback and viewpoints.

McMark
The QC on the bearings is really the issue. You should check both sets and see which is closer to true.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.