Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rethinking my brilliant idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
So, I have my gas tank out and painted it yesterday and now am looking for replacements for the pads under the tank. The one I took out looked like it was made out of cloth or cotton-ish material. In searching for a replacement that won't hold moisture (the one I took out looked like it caused a small patch of rust on the tank which I cleaned before painting) so I was in a dollar store and found a 5 pack of scrubbing pads. PERFECT, $1 for 5 pads which only need to be cut on one side to match the original size; the thickness was a great match. Now I'm second guessing my selection in that this scrubbing pad might scrub off the paint on the body and tank. I wonder if it would move enough to scratch off the paint? What do you think?

somewhat related thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=203920&hl=

wndsnd
I used 2" wide rubber mastic wire splicing tape found at electrical supply houses. I think I doubled it up. 3m akes good stuff
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 20 2013, 10:00 AM) *

So, I have my gas tank out and painted it yesterday and now am looking for replacements for the pads under the tank. The one I took out looked like it was made out of cloth or cotton-ish material. In searching for a replacement that won't hold moisture (the one I took out looked like it caused a small patch of rust on the tank which I cleaned before painting) so I was in a dollar store and found a 5 pack of scrubbing pads. PERFECT, $1 for 5 pads which only need to be cut on one side to match the original size; the thickness was a great match. Now I'm second guessing my selection in that this scrubbing pad might scrub off the paint on the body and tank. I wonder if it would move enough to scratch off the paint? What do you think?

I put a piece of rubber pad!
McMark
Vibration is real. Chassis flex is real. Find some closed cell foam.
Bob L.
Hmmmm... good one.

I think, if the tank is secured well, it shouldn't shift around to cause wear.

If you try it, check it out in a year to see how it holds up.

I used some foam pipe insulation with one sticky side. It holds itself in place while you handle the tank.
porschefile2010
Go to a Dive shop and get some off cuts of wet suit material and use contact adhesive to attach it to the body. Perfect thickness and gentle on the tank. The old material on mine was felt I think.
Harpo
I just ordered strip of neoprene rubber from McMaster Carr with a euro meter of 50. I had to order 36 inches so you can have some of mine.
bulitt
Yoga mat 5$ at target
JmuRiz
QUOTE(bulitt @ Nov 20 2013, 11:57 AM) *

Yoga mat 5$ at target

Good idea, and the leftovers can be used as a toolbox drawer pad too.
Spoke
I've used the furniture foot pads from Home Depot that comes in 4x6 inch sizes with adhesive on the back.
PanelBilly
I used a patch of rubber from the plumbing department.
worn
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 20 2013, 10:08 AM) *

I used 2" wide rubber mastic wire splicing tape found at electrical supply houses. I think I doubled it up. 3m akes good stuff

You are fine the way that you did it. These cars will see less and less miles per year per year. I would be remiss not to say that the original was high density felt. Available as hats and shoe inserts. A bit of something the brits use called waxoyl would keep it from ever rusting, but so would any oily waxy substance.
nine9three
I used cork gasket material worked perfectly.
type47
I needed something "today" so I went to HD and found this
Click to view attachment
1-1/4"wide, 7/16" thick for about $8. Very sticky on one side and when it gets squished by the tank, should be about the same thickness as the original felt pad and you'll never see it with the tank installed. Installed 2 strips
Click to view attachment
then wrestled with the tank install for a couple of hours. One thing that I've never seen is any discussion of the orientation of the nipples so I went with what I thought might work. After seeing that hooking up the fuel hoses was fruitless, I loosened the nuts and rotated to this orientation which is a rotation of 180 from before.
Click to view attachment
If the hoses are the right length, it's possible to slide them on the nipples with not too much cursing; there is LITTLE access and room under there! Trouble is finding hose clamps that you can get a tool to to tighten them. That's where my day starts today; finding the right hose clamp. So much fun I think I'll do it to my other car! Practice makes perfect rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
There were two other places on the forward bulkhead that also were padded. Did you replace those pads as well?

--DD
type47
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 21 2013, 08:21 AM) *

There were two other places on the forward bulkhead that also were padded. Did you replace those pads as well?

no, they looked to be in good shape and had not caused a rust spot on the tank. They are on a more vertical surface; maybe better to shed moisture. The one I replaced is on a bit of a horizontal surface.
Dave_Darling
Kewl. As long as there's something there, alles ist gut.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.