Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear window
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
Anyone know where to get weather stripping for the rear window? not the part that goes right above the engine compartment but the seal that goes around the rest of the window?? is there a seal there? my window is getting kinda shaky when the top is down. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!! IPB Image
Trekkor
No problem, 3M make a peel and stick glass seal.
You can get it at the auto store. cheap, too.

Just cut to fit and schtick in there.

KT
grasshopper
Thanks for the info. I didn't know if there was a certain seal that was supposed to go there
SirAndy
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Dec 25 2004, 06:38 PM)
Thanks for the info. I didn't know if there was a certain seal that was supposed to go there

nope, just the standard buthyl (sp?) automotive tape (black gooey stuff) like trek mentioned.
every bodyshop/glassshop will have it ...

IPB Image Andy
Carlitos Way
Mine is shaking too.. but it seems to be also held in place from the inside by the backpad... and my backpad isn't in the best of conditions. ANy suggestions?

I hate rattles!!!!
McMark
It's called 3M WindowWeld and is spelled Butyl. IPB Image
Rusty
QUOTE (cmolina @ Dec 26 2004, 12:22 AM)
Mine is shaking too.. but it seems to be also held in place from the inside by the backpad...  and my backpad isn't in the best of conditions.  ANy suggestions?

Yep. Pull out your backpad, and while you're having it recovered (probably a c-note at your local auto restorer)... fix the rattle.

The butyl is stiff when cold, and gooey when warm. You need to get it rather warm (almost melty, but not quite) for it to seal best. So, depending where someone is, that means a warm garage and a heat gun. The glass should be very clean and the seal channel, too. Residual butyl can be cleaned off with Goof Off or something similar. For cleanup, use latex gloves. For installation - clean, bare hands.
Eric_Shea
Try this thread:

Rear Window Fix

Most original Butyl will simply fall right out with a putty knife. It's old and hard (which is why your window is rattling.)
Always Looking
I got my window-weld from AutoBodyDEPOT.net. They shipped quick. The total cost was like $18.00. The only question I had was what diameter. I ended up getting the 3/8 inch diameter, which works. This size was suggested by Pelican Parts. I seems like it might be a little thick, but I have no experience in this area.

Good luck,

IPB Image
jwalters
Thickness is good--you gotta press the glass firmly into it--the more "squeegees" out, the more to hold the glass in place............

IPB Image
Elliot_Cannon
I went to a local auto glass shop and they GAVE me enough to do two windows! If you think the seal is too thick you can stretch it and make it thinner. It's one of the easier fixes on these cars.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.