Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media Blasting Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Hi Everyone,

What can I expect to pay to get me roller tub media blasted? The car will be stripped without any lids. I assume it'll still have doors.

Thanks!!
ED

confused24.gif
jimkelly
probably depends on your location to some extent.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=sand+blast

nothing prettier than a sweet little - 914 - getting her body blasted.

IPB Image
bandjoey
$750 in Big D
MBowman325
I attempted to hit up a place here in OKC that does dry ice blasting. If I can get an answer from them I'll post it.
MBowman325
For what it's worth, finally got a hold of one of the companies that does the CO2 blasting and he said it doesn't work well for paint stripping. I'd previously heard that tossed around as an alternative to soda and sand blasting, but I suppose perhaps not. (He quoted a half day job running 5-$600 though)
r_towle
We had a 356 done on our site with a portable rig.
We used soda, not sand.
It was 500 bucks
Jon H.
To save some cash and minimize panel warpage you could DA sand your flat areas and get the insides and underneath blasted. This is how the reputable restoration shops in my area told me they would do it. Cost with epoxy primer was approx $1200-$1300. It will be cheaper though because I will DA sand myself. The warpage issue I refer to is using sand as a medium?

Jon
pcar916
It cost me $700 with fine glass beads, outside, doors, and door jams only. My mistake was not providing them with a completely stripped tub. I tried my best to mask everything off, but there's still media everywhere. Never again.

Metalwork and primer were another $4k. Now... what color? Hmmm

Click to view attachment
ww914
QUOTE(EdArango @ Nov 20 2013, 11:48 AM) *

Hi Everyone,

What can I expect to pay to get me roller tub media blasted? The car will be stripped without any lids. I assume it'll still have doors.

Thanks!!
ED

confused24.gif

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt it yourself. I did just the engine compartment a couple of years ago and am still cleaning sand out of every area back there.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

CptTripps
I'm having mine soda'd in a few weeks after I finish stripping everything out of it. There's a local guy here that'll come to me (or wherever the car is) and do it for $650. I'm going to have it on a rotisserie so the whole thing in/out gets done at the same time. I'll have it epoxied about 2-3 hrs later after the body shop power-washes the tub and bakes it for a few hours in their paint booth. We thought that'd be the best way to dry it all out after the soda and wash.
strawman
I also DA sanded flat panels to save blasting time. I'll add that blasting doesn't do a good job of removing the seam sealer. I scraped mine out with wood chisels, awls, screwdrivers and everything else possible to dig that crap out. It is amazing how much rust can be hidden underneath that stuff. Then I blasted the corners and uneven surfaces, followed by epoxy primer.

My back still thanks me for using a rotisserie for that work...
PanelBilly
The guy who did mine said he wouldn't do the underside of the hood and trunk. those areas wern't bad anyways. He said that it would hurt the top surface. Mine was walnut blasted and then primed. Cost somewhere around $1000. I spend days with the airgun and vacuum cleaning it out before he did the prime. I knew that I was going to take my time on the body work and didn't want it to rust because the surface was exposed.
X911IC
This guy is a little far away from you but does a lot of cars and I have been very happy with his work.

Freddie @ A and M Sandblasting, 9344 Oso Ave, Chatsworth, CA 91311
(818) 727-1865

No harm in checking. I think he wanted $800 to do my car.
Eric_Shea
We do soda unless there's rust. No way these things will hurt the top of the metal, especially walnut.

$700.00
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.