914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
two 908 motors basically.....

insane... IPB Image
scotty914
4 hour valve adjust and thats with the motor out of the car
swood
Dude,

Triple A what are you doing up stilll? Didn't Santa bring you enough stuff to play with today?

SW
DJsRepS
Dude I know your not putting that in a 914. The shift knob would hit the front pully going into 1st 3rd and 5th. Mabee you wouldnt even need thoes gears with that motor pushing it.
lapuwali
Not quite the most insane way to make a 16-cylinder engine. In 1967, BRM made an 3.0 H-16, by taking two flat 8s and installing one on top of the other. Two cranks, eight camshafts. Intake was to the side, in between the cam banks. Exhausts ran out the top and bottom. Plugs crammed in wherever. Wasn't competitive.
curtis
Hey Aron why dont you toss that four in favor of that beast? It will fit...trust me! IPB Image IPB Image
mskala
Haven't seen a pic of one of those in color before. I believe only
3 were every assembled.

Perhaps this one would fit better in the 914?
2.2L, 275HP 907 motor
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (mskala @ Dec 26 2004, 12:26 PM)
Haven't seen a pic of one of those in color before. I believe only
3 were every assembled.

Perhaps this one would fit better in the 914?
2.2L, 275HP 907 motor

yummy.... bosch MFI with 8cyl fuel distributor IPB Image

how is a 907 different than a 908?
redshift
IPB Image

stop that

m
Brando
I'd say it' needs another cooling fan, but HOLY HELL what's the output on that 16 cyl beast?
mskala
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2004, 02:28 PM)
how is a 907 different than a 908?

It's different by 1 IPB Image

It's an earlier car, I wouldn't be able to tell you the details,
but at least many 907's were running this engine, formerly
of the ill-fated porsche f1 program.
Maltese Falcon
The 16 was developed by Dr. Piech and Weissach crew for the 917 program. The bhp achievements of the 12 cyl turbo'd 917/10 and 917/30 were enough to keep the champiopnship away from Mclaren and UOP Shadows, that the 16 basically was never used in competition. It does look very cool sitting on a stand next to #6 Sunoco 917/30 at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart IPB Image
Carrera916
It was my understanding that Dr. Piech and his team build two of these engines behind Dr. Porsche's back! Seriously! Dr. Piech was pretty much "on the bend" to find more power and lighter cars back then. When Ferry found out about the engines, he was more or less not too pleased about it as he has been trying to keep the company floating (financially) and he wants to be the one making decision, not someone else!

but damn, it would be GREAT to hear it running....i might be able to hear on my other ear?

j
eeyore
Early test showed the 7.2L 16 good for 850 bhp. It weight 80 kg more than the 12 and was long enough to poorly affect the 917 (PA) geometry.
michel richard
Does anybody know what those flexible fuel lines, between the pump and the injectors, are made of ? They're steel on the production cars.

Plus, they're equal length on the production MFI systems, but don't appear to be so here.

Michel Richard

914/6 2.2E MFI
jwalters
IPB Image There is an experimental aviation engine builder company called "Able Experimental ". He succeeded in mating two type 1's back to back to make a flat eight. He used two cases with the second case cut off to the #3 bearing cavity--and cut off the flywheel end of the first one,,then welded them up to each other. he then welded the cranks, and cams together and used a six port dry sump pump to supply oil--it is a beast--it made over 300hp and over 400lbfeet of torque--and it was not even at the beginning stage of devolpement..wayyy cool stuff!!

IPB Image
Brando
QUOTE (jwalters @ Dec 27 2004, 06:04 AM)
IPB Image There is an experimental aviation engine builder company called "Able Experimental ". He succeeded in mating two type 1's back to back to make a flat eight. He used two cases with the second case cut off to the #3 bearing cavity--and cut off the flywheel end of the first one,,then welded them up to each other. he then welded the cranks, and cams together and used a six port dry sump pump to supply oil--it is a beast--it made over 300hp and over 400lbfeet of torque--and it was not even at the beginning stage of devolpement..wayyy cool stuff!!

IPB Image

Answered my next question! IPB Image IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.