Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil for hydro lifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
It takes a while for the hydro lifters in my car to pump up if the car hasn't been driven for a while. Some times just a week or two between drives will do it. If it doesn't get driven for a few months it can take a good 10 minutes of painfully noisy driving around before they pump up.

Is there a specific oil weight that would help with this? I'm running castrol gtx 20w-50 currently.
Shindog1961
How do you like your hydraulic 914? I have a buddy who is a VW fanatic and he always wonders why so few porsche guys run hydraulic lifters. Who did you get your hydraulic parts from?
Cap'n Krusty
The bleed down is typical of any engine design where the lifters run in a horizontal orientation. Get used to it, 'cause it ain't gonna go away. If you let it sit long enough, it can take HOURS to go quiet down. 20w50 is the correct oil for your engine.

The Cap'n
rjames
QUOTE(Shindog1961 @ Nov 21 2013, 11:26 PM) *

How do you like your hydraulic 914? I have a buddy who is a VW fanatic and he always wonders why so few porsche guys run hydraulic lifters. Who did you get your hydraulic parts from?

The PO had rebuilt the engine with them.
If it wasn't for the pump up time in between drives I'd like them a lot more. On the plus side they haven't needed adjusting (I used to check clearance fairly regularly, but they were always in speck).
That being said, when it comes time for a rebuild I'll ditch 'em.
JamesM
Mine only bleed down after it has been parked all winter and even then quiet down usually under 2 minutes. I let it sit for 6 weeks at a time between autocrosses in the summer without issue. Only had one time where it took them a while to quiet down and that was after sitting for a couple years. I changed the oil to a cheap 5-30 and they pumped up pretty quick, then changed back to 20-50

12 years and have not adjusted the valves once

The only downside I have with them is when I want to rev over 5k... it just wont do it.

When it was only being used as a street motor though I liked it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.