Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Idling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I did a search but could not find anything on Winter Idling.

I always heard it was not good to idle your car in the winter then shutting it off. I know a lot of teener owners do not drive their car much in the winter and I was wondering what they do to keep the cobwebs out!

I know a lot winterize their cars and don't drive it but I want to hear from those who drive it on the rare winter days when there is a hint of spring in the air. Not like the picture! smile.gif
ripper911
I drive my car all winter long... driving.gif
SLITS
The idle issue is that the engine warms up faster under load than just letting it sit and idle. It will also produce more heat for your heater and quicker if the engine is under load.

Letting it idle before shutting it down is absurd unless you got it so hot the aluminum is starting to melt.

914s are fun in snow and ice .... yeah!
Cupomeat
The general concensus is that starting up your car in the winter and just idling it rarely gets the oil to a temperature in which the moisture is evaporated out, so it just circulates moisture through the engine.
Also, the initial start up of an engine accounts for the largest portion of wear in most cases.

SO, unless you plan to drive car, just do the following:
1. Put gas stabilizer in
2. Put the correct style battery minder in for the battery type (or better to remove the battery and keep it in doors where the temp fluctuations are less)
3. Put moth balls in the front and trunk and some under the seats and glove box. I make sure there is some in the area around the air handler behind the gas tank as that is a FAVORITE place for mice to nest.
4. Put the car cover on, and leave it alone...

Now, if you are in an area where the early spring temps can cause serious condensation on cold metal, it is recommended that you put a drop/trouble tight (Incandescant as you want the heat) under the car to help keep it slightly warm and drier that without.

Hope that helps.
struckn

SO, unless you plan to drive car, just do the following:
1. Put gas stabilizer in
2. Put the correct style battery minder in for the battery type (or better to remove the battery and keep it in doors where the temp fluctuations are less)
3. Put moth balls in the front and trunk and some under the seats and glove box. I make sure there is some in the area around the air handler behind the gas tank as that is a FAVORITE place for mice to nest.
4. Put the car cover on, and leave it alone...

[/quote]

Rather then Moth balls, use Fabric Softner Sheets. Mice can't handle the smell and leave.

bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.