Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Original '72 Six..?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
Saw this car offered for sale in Germany as an original 1972 German delivery six but the ignition switch is not on the left side of the wheel. Did that change for the '72 model year or is someone pulling a fast one?

http://www.mirbach.de/Detail/EN/338/Oldtim...14/6/Year_1972#

Aside from the oil cooler install that the car look sweet and would be my ideal 914 if I had the cash... wub.gif
boxsterfan
I seem to remember reading that 72 /6's used the 914/4 steering column (with key on the column).
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Nozzle @ Nov 22 2013, 02:16 PM) *

Saw this car offered for sale in Germany as an original 1972 German delivery six but the ignition switch is not on the left side of the wheel. Did that change for the '72 model year or is someone pulling a fast one?

http://www.mirbach.de/Detail/EN/338/Oldtim...14/6/Year_1972#

Aside from the oil cooler install that the car look sweet and would be my ideal 914 if I had the cash... wub.gif

Didn't all '72 sixes have the same ignition switch as the 4 cylinder cars?

Edit: What boxterfan said. :-)
injunmort
I read the description as 1972 restoration/ conversion. even if it was a /6 its got a 2.4l in it now it surely didn't come with.
nathansnathan
I think the late jack would make it May of 72 production or later. They only made a few 72 6's. I would think they'd all have been made by then.
Cairo94507
The '72's came with the 4 cylinder ignition in the column. Personally, I love the ignition on the left.
type47

... Aside from the oil cooler install ...

What don't you like about it? I thought it looked like a good option ...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 22 2013, 09:27 PM) *

... Aside from the oil cooler install ...

What don't you like about it? I thought it looked like a good option ...

The cooler is sort of RSR style, only thing is it's not protected well in that area. What I'm wondering is where's the oil lines?
Dave_Darling
The relay board relocation is a little odd-looking...

--DD
gothspeed
I understand at least one of the original 916s had a 914-4 steering/key column ... smile.gif
GeorgeRud
The engine relay board position is definitely not the way it came from the factory, so something has been changed ( perhaps to allow running a thermostat for the front mounted oil cooler).

A VIN would help determine what it really is, but there were some differences in the 72 MY cars as they were finishing the run of -6s.
I've heard over the years that )1 late 72 used -4 key switch, and some even had 2.4 in them....now this info us dated 29-30 years ago.
SLITS
Just ask for the VIN number.
Dave_Darling
All the 72 Sixes used the -4 steering column. I've seen a few of them, and they really are that way.

--DD
bobheinonen
Get the VIN, and check out those in-dash vents.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.