Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - Porsche Number Two
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
somd914
I'm coming up on three years now with my '73 914 - it's been enjoyable. But I've lusted after 911s since long before I could drive, and I'm coming up on 50!

I've held off for years due to other priorities and should probably hold off longer. Oh well, what the hell, we only live once...

She's an '84 with 83k miles, well maintained, but of course being 30 years-old there are things to sort out/enhance in time. Fairly much stock except for a performance chip and exhaust bringing her up another 25 HP or so. And man does she sound nice, also a blast to drive - certainly more refined than the 914, but the 914 still has her appeal and won't be sold.

Click to view attachment
914-300Hemi
Congrats. beerchug.gif
Kaduku
Best of both worlds! Lucky dog!

TargaToy
Schweet! Congrats to ya!
PanelBilly
A new car is always fun. Looks nice
Cap'n Krusty
Sunroof coupe. Nice car. Put a spare DME relay in the glove box ...................

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 23 2013, 12:06 AM) *

Sunroof coupe. Nice car. Put a spare DME relay in the glove box ...................

The Cap'n

Similar story and rational...got an 84 cabriolet.
DO get a spare DME relay and put it in the glove box...today.
Also, read up on pelican parts BBS how to hotwire that relay when you get stuck somewhere...

Rich
somd914
Cap'n and Rich - Thanks for the heads up on the DME relay. Mine was replaced two years ago but will go ahead and get one ordered one this week to be safe.

Now to find a 911 forum that compares to the "World" - that's going to be tough...

Interesting note - three years ago when I bought the 914 my oldest son (now 20) strongly believed that I wasted my money and should have bought a "real" Porsche, i.e. a 911. Now that I finally have a 911 he reminded me it was time to update my will. He doesn't care who gets the 911, but he wants the 914!

SLITS
QUOTE(somd914 @ Nov 23 2013, 07:57 AM) *

Now to find a 911 forum that compares to the "World" - that's going to be tough...

Pelican Parts 911 BBS for sure.

And now you have a parts car to upgrade the 914 biggrin.gif
somd914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 23 2013, 11:01 AM) *

I thought the Bird would probably be good, thanks for the recommendation.

As for upgrade parts for the 914, might be the other way around - have turbo tie rods on the 914 but not on the 911... Upgrade is in order sawzall-smiley.gif
Maltese Falcon
Also make sure that the P/O has the superceded cyl. head temp. sensor installed. You have the intro year Carrera 3.2, so you never know.
Marty
r_towle
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 23 2013, 11:01 AM) *

Funny, I keep thinking about it.
JawjaPorsche
Sweet! beerchug.gif
somd914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 23 2013, 12:49 PM) *

Also make sure that the P/O has the superceded cyl. head temp. sensor installed. You have the intro year Carrera 3.2, so you never know.
Marty

And I thought I was getting away from dreaded CHT problems... Thanks for the info as I had not come across that one in my research.
GeorgeRud
I also added an 84 Targa to my stable of 914s this last summer as I did want something with AC.

The Pelican Parts board seems to be the best for these 911s. What I found interesting is that most folks seem to be backdating these cars to get rid of all the extra 'stuff' that Porsche added over the years. The heating system alone has a complicated relay and three separate blower motors!

Gotta love the simplicity of the 914!
somd914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 24 2013, 10:01 AM) *

Gotta love the simplicity of the 914!

Can't argue with that! I stayed away from 964s and 993s due to the increasing complexity, weight, and electronics. However, as you mentioned the Carrera is far more complex than the 914.

I like both the 914 and 911 for different reasons. With that said I'll enjoy tinkering with the 914 more just because, for the most part, it is easier and more affordable.

Now my next goal is to get the 914 on the track at Summit Point next summer.
patrick3000
Nice get, also added a 77 Targa this summer, best of both worlds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.