Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Centre mount parkbrake?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhd914
Hi, I wondering if anyone had bothered to relocate the parkbrake lever to the centre of the car?
I am looking at doing this on my '73.
I just bought a park brake lever from a 964 because the whole assembley sits above the tunnel.

If you done this, tell what and how you did this and a photo if you have it.
Thanks
Geoff.
Jeroen
I'm considering it. You'd prolly need custom cables

Some of the factory 914 rallye cars had center mounted handbrakes
Check Jon Lowe's Gt-info pages for pics of those...
(sorry, don't have the link at hand)
Eric_Shea
I've got the rear 911 e-brake system done. I have the early 911 hand brake handle. I've yet to locate it on the tunnel. I will though IPB Image
d7n7master
Why???
URY914
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Dec 26 2004, 05:02 PM)
Why???

IPB Image

Why all the effort? Cool factor?

P
SirAndy
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 26 2004, 06:42 PM)
Why all the effort?

makes for faster drifting around tight corners because you don't have to switch hands on the steering wheel to (P)-Brake and then downshift.
your hand is on the "right" side already, so your left hand stays on the steering wheel ...

IPB Image Andy
URY914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 26 2004, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 26 2004, 06:42 PM)
Why all the effort?

makes for faster drifting around tight corners because you don't have to switch hands on the steering wheel to (P)-Brake and then downshift.
your hand is on the "right" side already, so your left hand stays on the steering wheel ...

IPB Image Andy

Shit, I've been doing it wrong for 25 years!!! IPB Image

Hand brake turns in a 914? Come on.

P
d7n7master
I've got a lot to learn. Never used the hand-brake to turn - 'cept in a sandrail.
Don't you need two???
SirAndy
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 26 2004, 06:51 PM)

hell ya!

go straight fast, wiggle the steering wheel just a bit right before the turn, press in the clutch, apply handbrake. your ass comes around nicely. (clutch still in) downshift. release clutch and apply throttle ...

in order to do that fast (with the handbrake on the left side) one would have to let go of the steering wheel at one point while releasing the handbrake and downshifting.
with the handbrake in the center, you can do both fast with the right hand while still steering with the left.

try it sometime, it really works!
IPB Image Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Dec 26 2004, 08:26 PM)
I've got a lot to learn. Never used the hand-brake to turn - 'cept in a sandrail.
Don't you need two???

or a dual position one for cutting brakes
914Timo
Why all the effort?

You could use wider seats.

With my OMP seats the hand brake is PITA.
Mueller

P

to put it where it belongs....just like how the ignition switch is in the wrong place on the /4 cars IPB Image....hahahaha
Eric_Shea

Not really. I'm too old to be cool IPB Image

Mine started with a standard brake upgrade to S-Calipers and a 911 Koni front suspension.

I then needed to add the 911 M-Caliper rear caliper.

I then had no handbrake.

I was upgrading my 911 to aluminum rear control arms.

I had an extra set of 911 e-brake assemblies.

I heard they fit.

I tried it and they did.

I had an extra 911 hand brake from an earlier project.

I saw some factory "rally" GT cars with the 911 handbrake
Yes, they're pretty handy at the end of a slalom for the 180 turn around. Read Vic Elfords book and about taking a corner backward (not that I would ever try that...) IPB Image

Tired of short ramblings? Summary: I wanted a larger brake "system" and the only way to get a good handbrake was to use the 911 e-brake assembly. I like the idea of center mount better and I had all the parts. I've yet to mount the handle but it will be soon (as soon as I get this damn 914-6 out of the garage) IPB Image
Rough_Rider
If you wann be really clever.... & only for handbrake turns install a 4th foot pedal which solely connects to the rear calipers.
Then you can do all those handbrake turns without taking your hands off the wheel.

Similar setup has been used on rally cars in the past before hydraulic handbrakes came into play.
McLaren F1 fitted some of their cars in the 90's with 4 pedal. No pedal accutated cluth though. Clutch is by hand. They had main brake pedal all 4 wheels. Left side brakes, Right side brakes. & Accelerator.
Heading into a tight turn drivers could drag the inside brakes & eliminate understeer.
Same principle was used during the active suspension F1 era.
boxstr
If you take a look at teh Boxster the park brake is located in the center. That might be a good option.
CCLINPARKANDRIDE
airsix
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Dec 26 2004, 05:02 PM)
Why???

handbrake in stock location can interfere with:
race seats
roll-cage
frame reinforcements

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.