Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Galley Plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Just got 5 oil galley plugs drilled and tapped but the ones at the front of the case next to the oil filter mount do not screw down flush with the case. Is there anything they will interfere with if they protrude about 1/8th of an inch. Getting ready to seal them in but I don't want to have to remove them later.
jwalters
Hey headrage, did you also take out that really deep one in the front of the case which is behind the one in the front face of the case??? I believe it is the one seperating the filter supply with the main galley??? It has been awhile since I last looked at it.

If so, or not, can you elaborate the details of the sizes of the taps used please..I am about to do this myself, would save time and money searching and possibly buying the wrong size..

Thanks in advance... IPB Image
Allan
I'm not really sure of the size. I had it done at a machine shop. I can give them a call tomorrow and let you know if you like. There are 2 that were done right at that location and one of the passages looks alot deeper than the other. I am not at the office or I would post some pics.
jwalters
Hey thats cool man, yes if you can find out the sizes I would be indebted to ya....good luck on the rest of it..

Would love to see some pics if able later on.........

IPB Image
Allan
Here are a couple pics of the plugs in question. I don't think they will be a problem but I just want to make sure. The plugs are a std 3/8th tapered pipe plug.
Allan
One more.
tod914
Your motor looks great! What did you use to clean it?
Allan
We have a hot tank parts washer at my office. Got lucky, my company has a complete fleet maintenance department so I have access to tons of stuff. IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Very Nice work! IPB Image

One Suggestion. Take each oil galley plug and cover it with 5 minute epoxy or JB weld. This will insure that it will stay in and not leak.
Allan
I was just going to seal them with permatex 3H and torque them down. Won't that be enough? IPB Image
jwalters
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 27 2004, 08:43 AM)
One more.

IPB Image Looking good there 'rage!! Question, concerning the top plug, when you remove it, is the pressed in plug underneath it way down deep in the galley still there? Or was it replaced with a screw plug also??

Thank you very much for the info...cheers... IPB Image
ClayPerrine
The grey 5 minute epoxy insures that the plugs don't back out. Steel has a different expansion rate than aluminum, so the plugs can loosen even if they are installed correctly.
Allan
QUOTE (jwalters @ Dec 27 2004, 12:11 PM)
Question, concerning the top plug, when you remove it, is the pressed in plug underneath it way down deep in the galley still there? Or was it replaced with a screw plug also??

Nope, the one deep inside is still there.
jwalters
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 27 2004, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (jwalters @ Dec 27 2004, 12:11 PM)
Question, concerning the top plug, when you remove it, is the pressed in plug underneath it way down deep in the galley still there? Or was it replaced with a screw plug also??

Nope, the one deep inside is still there.

IPB Image Cool, thanks man---

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.