Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Steering Wheel is for the early Column?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I was going to change out the Race Mark Wheel on my factory 6 with the bat wing style. I have a nice leather wrapped wheel with a shallow hub sitting waiting for the swap.

I was getting ready to ship out a couple wheels to be recovered when I noticed I have two different style wheels. Here are the photos I took today.

Both are the same depth from the ring to horn mount. This also is the case to the mounting spline.

The issue comes in at the back side of the wheel. One wheel has an extended collar as shown. Which is the early style and which is the late style.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Left
rick 918-S
Ok, the one on the left is 914 347 805 10. There is a second set of numbers 11 70 on the wheel. Do these have to do with the date made? I have other wheels that have different second sets of numbers.

GaroldShaffer
Yes. 11 70 = Nov 1970

Turn both wheels over so you can see the numbers and you and will see the difference in the hub area. early ones are flat, late have recess in them.
r_towle
I have only touched the one on the right....and all mine are no older than 72.
I can go look at the 71 that still has a steering wheel if you need it.

Based on me never touching it...I would also vote it's the one on the left.

Rich
type47fan
Hi Rick,

Here's a steering wheel P/N reference I compiled a few years ago:

914.347.803.10 "hard rubber"* 914-6 70-71
914.347.804.10 "hard rubber"* 914-4 70-71
914.347.804.11 "hard rubber"* 72 up
914.347.805.10 leather 914-4 70-71
914.347.805.11 leather 914-4 72 up & 72 only 914-6
914.347.806.10 leather 914-6 70-71 & 73 911RS
914.347.809.00 molded "leather" 72 up

* = plastic

I haven't checked the latest lists that might have changed the application information but this list was viewed as accurate when I recorded it.

The wheel below is on my car and is the 809.00, molded rubber leather look. These are good bases for a genuine leather recover that yields a thicker feel, like the GT.

Cheers!

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
The plastic adapter parts that you mention can be changed out, so just figure out which one fits, and use the plastic adapter off of it.

They are all splined the same, so either wheel will fit.

Oh.. and the 70-71 factory sixes didn't use the adapter. They use a 911 column.
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 23 2013, 10:51 PM) *

The plastic adapter parts that you mention can be changed out, so just figure out which one fits, and use the plastic adapter off of it.

They are all splined the same, so either wheel will fit.

Oh.. and the 70-71 factory sixes didn't use the adapter. They use a 911 column.

Clay is right. I have a later wheel on my early column but the early wheel does fit slightly better where the back of the wheel meets the shaft.

Rick - I have an extra 911 cancel ring for the back of the wheel to fit your 6 column.
ClayPerrine
One thing... most of the steering wheels used in the 914-4 cars were not drilled and tapped for the 911 turn signal cancel ring. You have to drill, tap and countersink the holes in the right spot. If you use the holes for the adapter, the cancel ring will be off more than 90 degrees.
rhodyguy
the wheel with the metal cancel finger and the deeper rear cup is for the earlier column. deeper cup fills the space on the rear of the wheel that will result on the early column if the shallow cup is used. with the earlier setup, the spring loaded horn contact will have to be backdated. you might reconsider selling the early one if the wheel could be needed for the 6. esp with regards to the production date.
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 24 2013, 08:03 AM) *

One thing... most of the steering wheels used in the 914-4 cars were not drilled and tapped for the 911 turn signal cancel ring. You have to drill, tap and countersink the holes in the right spot. If you use the holes for the adapter, the cancel ring will be off more than 90 degrees.

Clay - That is true for late wheels. All the early 914 wheels use the same hub as a 911. The countersunk holes are under the plastic spacer.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 24 2013, 08:04 AM) *

Clay - That is true for late wheels. All the early 914 wheels use the same hub as a 911. The countersunk holes are under the plastic spacer.

It's true for early wheels too. Some of them didn't get drilled for the 911 cancel cam. I had one dated 11/69 that was not drilled for it. And it was the proper part number for the 914-6/911R. So I sold it to a 911 guy for large dollars, and used an early -4 wheel. Looks identical, just different part number.

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 24 2013, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 24 2013, 08:04 AM) *

It's true for early wheels too. Some of them didn't get drilled for the 911 cancel cam. I had one dated 11/69 that was not drilled for it. And it was the proper part number for the 914-6/911R. So I sold it to a 911 guy for large dollars, and used an early -4 wheel. Looks identical, just different part number.

Cool to know. Thanks for info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.